3rd Recruiting class is not a charm for Tubby Smith

2009 vs 2010

When you look at what the 2009 class really was, Rodney and Justin, the class of 2010 isn't too bad.

Hopefully Trevor will be on the court this fall which would change that evaluation.

On the upside we won't have to worry about having a one and done ;)

The only thing I object to in Myron's piece is the idea that it was a good thing that two additional scholarships opened up so the Gophers could "add more talent". It's pretty common knowledge that you don't want to be recruiting in the spring for the following year. With the exception of a handful of kids, the players still available in the spring are available for a reason. Those who really can help have had their finalists since fall (ex Joseph), so the opporunity to add a lot of talent really was not that great.

I would have been more negative than Myron on both the talent in this class and the inability to fill needs. If the Gophers truly sign 5 guys, they won't sign any 4 star players and will also fail to fill their two biggest needs a pure pg and a pure pf (not even getting in to the need for a go to scorer, because that's obviously not in this class). Tubby was certainly put in tough spot with the lack of talent in Minnesota this year, the White, Mbakwe, Nolen situations, and the late transfer decisions. That said, I think it would have made more sense (on paper) to bank any scholarships not needed this year than to take 3 spring guys. Obviously, the staff knows far better than me what the Gophers need for 2010, I just hope we are not regretting some of these decisions in the future.

Let's remember

Let's remember these scholarship offers are year by year.

If somebody does not work out, or they get homesick, or they see they will get no PT, they may not be in the picture for year #2.

Let's remember these scholarship offers are year by year.

If somebody does not work out, or they get homesick, or they see they will get no PT, they may not be in the picture for year #2.

You should usually assume that you're bringing in a player for 4 years though. Doesn't send a good message to future recruits if we offer someone a scholarship and then push them away after one year. Scholarships are a 4-year agreement (or 5 if they redshirt) if you ask me. Obviously agreements, committments, and contracts aren't always held up though.

If Tubby knew he was going to have to fill six scholarships, I have a feeling this would be a much different class.

Personally, I don't feel Myron's article is a very fair without acknowledging the fact that at least three openings were not expected: White, Carter, and Cobbs.

Obviously this class is slight disappointment, but Minnesota has a strong crop of HS players next year beginning with Joe Coleman, if he can prove that he can shoot consistently he will be a big time player.

Thank you. Most of the people on this board fail to recognize that the class would've looked much better if we knew we would have this many scholarships all along.

If Tubby knew he was going to have to fill six scholarships, I have a feeling this would be a much different class.

Personally, I don't feel Myron's article is a very fair without acknowledging the fact that at least three openings were not expected: White, Carter, and Cobbs.

I thought the article was reasonable. I have the same worries about our 2011 class as I'm not sure, again, we have any commitments, verbals, etc, yet.

Yeah, coming in, Tubby probably thought he needed three schollies. Suddenly that jumped to six. There's no way he could have anticipated that. I like Hollins, Big Mo, and Eliason. The other two guys clearly are due to late arrival in the game with the extra schollies. If we can gain some stability in that we know exactly how many schollies we need to fill prior to the year and that number stays put, I think you'll see a better class overall. And yes, it would help if the Minnesota talent wasn't lacking as much as it was this past year. There's more coming down the pike now though, so we should see some better classes in the coming years.

In addition, those extra schollies and attention that was needed to fill them undoubtedly hurt 2011 as well, as time spent building relationships is reduced while we try to fill some spots for this season. Hopefully Tubby can get past this piece of time and guys like Devoe, Colt, Ralph, and Rodney can step up and carry this squad during the next two seasons.

I'm not nearly as concerned about 2011. The 2010 class in the state of MN was pretty weak. At least 2011 has some talent such as Coleman, Moats, Tyler and Travis'. They may not be real highly ranked kids on the nat'l level, but they all would be nice to have on the roster. I definitely wouldn't want to see any of those kids on other big ten teams....

If we're ever going to improve, we have to stop relying on Minnesota kids and get lucky on a national blue-chipper or two. If Tubby can't accomplish that, who can?

If we're ever going to improve, we have to stop relying on Minnesota kids and get lucky on a national blue-chipper or two. If Tubby can't accomplish that, who can?

:confused:

Only two of Tubby's recruits have been out of Minnesota, and both were among his highest rated recruits. (I guess you could say three, if you count Mbakwe).

Whats the excuse for the first two recruits then?

Eliason was 2-time Gatorade POY in Nebraska and recruited by Stanford (among others).

Hollins is a well regarded Memphis talent and was recruited by SEC schools and Memphis U.

Both are fine prospects.

I don't think an excuse is necessary for either (per FOT's post). Nowadays, recruiting top prospects away from other top programs takes time - it doesn't happen overnight, especially at a school like MN, so with Mbakwe and White in limbo (eligible, not eligible; on the time, not on the team) for most of the year (and the same questions remain), Tubby was in a tough spot.

I don't give him a free pass, but this was just a really weird and flukey year...

We have two returning centers who will only be juniors. Did you expect we'd sign a much higher ranked recruit when he would know he won't be starting his first two years? No excuse for Hollins either. He's a solid recruit.

If you don't have 6 stars out of a possible 5, you stand no chance to be a good player I guess.

We have two returning centers who will only be juniors. Did you expect we'd sign a much higher ranked recruit when he would know he won't be starting his first two years? No excuse for Hollins either. He's a solid recruit.

DOesnt mean we need to add a C. We need alotta help at every other position. Hollins is solid. A good sleeper prospect. He is not a starter and may never develop into one. I dont know why people think is is a good class....I love the gophers...just keeping it real

DOesnt mean we need to add a C. We need alotta help at every other position. Hollins is solid. A good sleeper prospect. He is not a starter and may never develop into one. I dont know why people think is is a good class....I love the gophers...just keeping it real

Gophers signed two C - Maurice Walker and Elliott Eliason. Both are well regarded.

We needed one center in this class. Not because we'll need him next year, but because we lose our current centers the same year and we don't want to need to ask two inexperienced centers to come in and contribute a lot right away again.

Top Bottom