Prospects in national top 15 at individual position: 3

In contrast...

MINNESOTA
5 star players: 0
4 star players: 0
3 star players: 3
Average rating: 2.25 stars
Prospects in national top 15 at individual position: 0

I might get blasted for posting this, but I simply wanted to offer an objective observation. There has been a lot of talk lately about Tubby's latest class and most people seem OK with the players he signed.

Personally, I think this year's class isn't a bust. Not in the slightest. However, if Tubby doesn't make a splash next season on the recruiting circuit, the program is in serious trouble.

Going to be hard to wait this long, but there are a lot of very talented Minnesota kids in the younger classes. Can't wait untill they get to the point of being ready to commit.

Not that we can't get good recruiting classes before then, it's just a plus to me when the recruits are from Minnesota. I'll obviously take good recruits from anywhere though.

And anOSU will lose AGAIN at The Barn.

Yes - we'll win, despite Sullinger scoring 22 and grabbing 14 boards... then the media will constantly talk the rest of the year about how Minnesota won, but tOSU 'was without Sullinger'.

Luckily a couple of the guys coming in for tOSU this fall won't be around very long.

I wouldn't be predicting a victory over OSU right now if I were a Gopher fan given all the uncertainty about whether the likes of Nolen, Mbakwe and White will play - if you have all of them, it could happen, but let's see who's on the team first.

Sullinger is a 1 & done talent, but no one else in that class has the talent to go to the NBA after one year (it's unlikely for anyone else to go to the NBA after 2 years for that matter). Sullinger is pretty awesome, though, and IMO should be 1st team All-Big Ten in his freshman year.

I wouldn't be predicting a victory over OSU right now if I were a Gopher fan given all the uncertainty about whether the likes of Nolen, Mbakwe and White will play - if you have all of them, it could happen, but let's see who's on the team first.

Sullinger is a 1 & done talent, but no one else in that class has the talent to go to the NBA after one year (it's unlikely for anyone else to go to the NBA after 2 years for that matter). Sullinger is pretty awesome, though, and IMO should be 1st team All-Big Ten in his freshman year.

Tubby is 3-0 against OSU at home. You predicting Sullinger for first team all big ten is a big leap right now until we see how he plays in the big ten.

From the Rivals 150 players:

Ohio St. #5, 22, 39, 111, 132, 135

Illinois #35, 84,

Michigan St. #38, 115

Purdue #51, 101

Michigan #59

Minnesota #123

Penn St. #145

For a guy who laughs at rivals.com, you sure use them all the time.

Not laughing at Rivals, I'm laughing at the notion that someone is trying to make the argument that the Gophers have a top 150 talent when the player he's actually talking about is in the mid 130s nationally on Rivals and non-existent on Scout.

Not laughing at Rivals, I'm laughing at the notion that someone is trying to make the argument that the Gophers have a top 150 talent when the player he's actually talking about is in the mid 130s nationally on Rivals and non-existent on Scout.

Do you mean top 150 overall or top 50? He is top 150 on Rivals and ESPN and I believe is in the 50s for Flagrant Fouls for whatever that is worth. He is also top 15 for centers by Rivals an ESPN, which is what the other poster was saying.

Mullens?

Koufas?

Talent doesn't matter.

LOL. Talent always matters. The NBA sure sees a difference between a 6'7" player and a 7'+ guy. I don't expect any of the newbies having a 5-6 inch growth spurt in the next year!

Let's mark it down now - OSUfan says in '10-'11 Sullinger has a 1st team All-Big Ten caliber season and Jackson5 implicitly doesn't believe it will happen.

Tubby is 3-0 against OSU at home. You predicting Sullinger for first team all big ten is a big leap right now until we see how he plays in the big ten.

Kinda like many people on this board predicting last year that Trevor would lead the Big Ten in rebounding...

Kinda like many people on this board predicting last year that Trevor would lead the Big Ten in rebounding...

I remember predictions of him leading the Gophers in rebounding. Don't remember predictions about the whole Big Ten though, but I guess I could have forgotten by now. Hopefully he will have a chance to lead the team in rebounding next season.

Don't lump my prediction in with those of other people. This is not a homer pick - Sullinger is the real deal - I've watched him several times and I think he's better than any of the frosh that Matta has had at OSU. I wouldn't be surprised if he is a 1st team All-American - he did win the HS Naismith POY award & we've seen many of the top frosh in the 1 & done era be All-Americans - yet some here doubt he will have a first team All-Big Ten caliber season.

Are you predicting he'll be 1st team All Big Ten or have a 1st team All Big Ten caliber season? There is a difference. DJ had a Big Ten All Defensive Team caliber season, but he wasn't given the recognition.

LOL. Talent always matters. The NBA sure sees a difference between a 6'7" player and a 7'+ guy. I don't expect any of the newbies having a 5-6 inch growth spurt in the next year!

Let's mark it down now - OSUfan says in '10-'11 Sullinger has a 1st team All-Big Ten caliber season and Jackson5 implicitly doesn't believe it will happen.

I think he's better than any of the frosh that Matta has had at OSU.

Are you off your meds again? Sullinger better than Oden as an incoming freshman? Please! Oden might've been one of the best low-post defenders in the history of college basketball, and certainly the best freshman ever at that skill.

A few thought on Sullinger.

1. History-Oden was injuried but played well when he was health, Koufas didn't make that much of an impact, Mullen's even less. My point is that OSU hasn't had the most impact for one and done bigs considering how many they have had.

2. Size-Sullinger is only 6-8 which could be an issue when facing legit 7 footers. Also he is a big body which makes it easier to dominate in HS but dominating due to size becomes much harder in college.

3. Athleticism-None of the scouting reports I have seen have list athleticism as a strong point. If you don't think that athletic bigs like JuJuan Johnson isn't going to try to run him, pull him out of the paint, you are crazy. I will admit JJ could have trouble guarding Sullinger down low.

4. Coaching-I don't hide the fact that I don't think that Matta is a meh at best game coach. I don't know how he will use Sullinger too his maximum potenial. Also you could say that developing players is a strength solely citing Turner but there is only so much you can do in one year.

Some things I like.

1. Rebounding-Love the fact that he is a glass cleaner.

2. Winner-He has simply won everywhere he has played.

3. Touch-He has pretty good touch around the rim, this also comes with great foot work.

4. Passing-I have read he is possibly the best passing big in the class.

With all that said I would LOVE to have him on Purdue's team next year

Yes you are. Rivals ranks Walker a top 15 Center, not me. Too bad if you don't like it. You seem to like the rankings just fine when it suits you.

Yes you are. Rivals ranks Walker a top 15 Center, not me. Too bad if you don't like it. You seem to like the rankings just fine when it suits you.

When the highest rated recruit for a five team class is in the 130s on Rivals and not ranked on Scout, that's nothing to be bragging about. Tubby did an excellent job filling roles, he just missed on the top level players.
Maybe next season...

When the highest rated recruit for a five team class is in the 130s on Rivals and not ranked on Scout, that's nothing to be bragging about. Tubby did an excellent job filling roles, he just missed on the top level players.
Maybe next season...

I'm not bragging. It's too bad you can't even admit your simple error.

Top Bottom