Our new PG

JohnnyGopher

Reaction score
Get to know this name, as SS mentioned in previous post, we have a visitor this week and very likely to be a Gopher if everything goes as planned.

Maverick Ahanmisi

Great article on Maverick from his senior year in high school.
http://www.the-signal.com/news/archive/9853/

During a February practice, after eventual Foothill League champion Golden Valley defeated last place Canyon 63-49 in a game much closer than the score indicated, Grizzlies head coach Chris Printz handed out sheets of paper to his players.

He asked them to write three goals for themselves and the team and three pieces of criticism of Printz.

“People were looking at other people’s papers,” Ahanmisi says, indicating that some of his teammates didn’t know what to write.
The senior says he quickly wrote.

For himself, he wrote, “Be a leader, play every moment like it’s your last and have fun.”

For team goals, he wrote “Listen, learn how to take criticism and play together.”

And for his coach, he wrote, “Get more people in when we have a comfortable lead, stay true to your word and don’t be afraid to bench players.”

Averaged 12.5 as a soph, 15.8 as Jr., 20.2 as a senior fro Golden Valley H.S (Santa Clarita, California)

Played for Doug Gotlieb's father for West Branch AAU, signed with Boise St. in high school but had clearinghouse issue and decided to go prep school at Stonridge Prep.

Attachments

• maverick.jpg
    maverick.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 108

Why haven't i heard of him? Is he a 2 star recruit or is he a junior or what? Wouldn't want to lose Royce because of lack of scholarship if he does want to play.

He's is a 5th year prep player who will be a freshman, not much on him in either rivals or scout, not really recruited hard in high school. Unfortunately, pretty sure this is going to turn ugly with the 4 and 5 stars only crowd but the options we're pretty slim and we didn't find anything in the juco ranks that was worth signing so we're taking a chance on a kid. Bob Gotlieb runs a recruiting service and thats where we got the lead.

Also want to see some video. I like the sound of the article though, picture looks like a well built muscular point gaurd and it sounds like he can shoot the ball too.

We are not that short on guards yet to be taking chances like this. We should let Stark the walk on have it this year and then save it for next year. If this means White is out then I hope they enjoy losing.

Interested to see him play. Hopefully he turns out to be a diamond in the rough.

How tall is he? Espn reports 6'5", everywhere else says 6'1".

Cobb's scholarship.

Even without Cobbs we are not desperate for guards. The smart thing to do is give to Stark for a year or get another walk on for depth until next year. Even a last minute Juco would be better because then the schollie is only tied up for 2 years.

Nolen
Hoffarber
Joseph
Hollins
Allen
Stark

Even without Cobbs we are not desperate for guards. The smart thing to do is give to Stark for a year or get another walk on for depth until next year. Even a last minute Juco would be better because then the schollie is only tied up for 2 years.

Nolen
Hoffarber
Joseph
Hollins
Allen
Stark

I wouldn't even let stark play. Nolen joseph hollins and hoff are enough, assuming only 2 are on the court at 1 time.

Hopefully we go with more 2-guard lineups so Rodney can get a lot of time at the 3.

Nolen
Hoffarber
Joseph
Hollins
Allen
Stark

Yes, you obviously know the true situation better than Tubby and the staff.

Yes, you obviously know the true situation better than Tubby and the staff.

I know Maverick Ahanmisi is a combo guard Boise State wanted. I know there are many good players in 2011 we could get like Estan Tyler, Joe Coleman, Ross Travis or Shelby Moats. I know we only have 2 seniors so scholarships next year might be tight.

"Maverick Ahanmisi 6’1” 2009 Golden Valley (Santa Clarita CA)
Athletic combo-guard handles defensive pressure well and can get to the cup in a hurry off the bounce."

Found that little write up on him. Not much said about him around the internet but I like what I do read and hope he does commit. Sounds like a bulldog gaurd that is always welcome.

Sounds like a decent kid. I know this article was from well over a year ago, but I sure hope he's changed his hair style. I HATE that Mohawk-y type of cut that Trevon Hughes was sporting.

I know Maverick Ahanmisi is a combo guard Boise State wanted. I know there are many good players in 2011 we could get like Estan Tyler, Joe Coleman, Ross Travis or Shelby Moats. I know we only have 2 seniors so scholarships next year might be tight.

You also might know how shaky your list of guards for next year is, especially when it comes to ball-handlers. Joseph is the only proven one. As much as I like Blake, I'd hate to have to rely on him if Devoe isn't on the court. Allen is first a football player and hopefully will be busy until January. Hollins, a freshman and a shooting guard. Stark, a walk-on from a small school? He maybe isn't ready to face Michigan State. I see this move as them not being entirely sure of Nolen's return. With all of the help a player has available, he got himself ineligible once. Will he get it together enough to rely on him next year?

It's reactive recruiting because of so many unplanned exits, but obviously it's what they feel a need to do. They also know what kind of a player Maverick is much better than some guy on GH. Hell, I'm glad he's coming just because of the name alone.

Scholarships will take care of themselves. Unfortunately, we have more available than one would have thought at the beginning of the year. I think I'll still trust Tubby and his staff more than you.

You also might know how shaky your list of guards for next year is, especially when it comes to ball-handlers. Joseph is the only proven one. As much as I like Blake, I'd hate to have to rely on him if Devoe isn't on the court. Allen is first a football player and hopefully will be busy until January. Hollins, a freshman and a shooting guard. Stark, a walk-on from a small school? He maybe isn't ready to face Michigan State. I see this move as them not being entirely sure of Nolen's return. With all of the help a player has available, he got himself ineligible once. Will he get it together enough to rely on him next year?

It's reactive recruiting because of so many unplanned exits, but obviously it's what they feel a need to do. They also know what kind of a player Maverick is much better than some guy on GH. Hell, I'm glad he's coming just because of the name alone.

Scholarships will take care of themselves. Unfortunately, we have more available than one would have thought at the beginning of the year. I think I'll still trust Tubby and his staff more than you.

I have to agree with Jackson here. I think Tubby is throwing away scholarships that should be used on better players who are available next year. This is ridiculous. Sure, keep telling me I'll trust Tubby over you Yada yada yada. Well guess what -- I'll trust the overwhelming majority of coaches who didn't want him.

With this class we are left with a lot of "who knows" what we are going to get out them players. Were we really in that much of a rush to fill our roster? Something tells me that this recruiting class is going to have a hugely negative impact on us in the next few years. There has got to be players who were much more highly regarded that would have given us a chance in next years class. I'm just left shaking my head on this one

I have to agree with Jackson here. I think Tubby is throwing away scholarships that should be used on better players who are available next year. This is ridiculous. Sure, keep telling me I'll trust Tubby over you Yada yada yada. Well guess what -- I'll trust the overwhelming majority of coaches who didn't want him.

With this class we are left with a lot of "who knows" what we are going to get out them players. Were we really in that much of a rush to fill our roster? Something tells me that this recruiting class is going to have a hugely negative impact on us in the next few years. There has got to be players who were much more highly regarded that would have given us a chance in next years class. I'm just left shaking my head on this one

Tubby deserves a bit of a mulligan this time around. In all fairness, he went out recruiting for 2010 looking for role players to surround Trevor Mbakwe and Royce White for the next couple years. This has been well documented, so I don't need to expand.

However, this latest class puts a ton of pressure on who Tubby brings in next year. I think 2011 needs to have at least two potential impact players, meaning there needs to be 4/5 stars next to their name on Scout and Rivals. This program cannot thrive with consistent recruiting classes that resemble the 2010 group. The only guy that I'm slightly excited about is Mo Walker, and he isn't even ranked in the top 100.

I understand that Minnesota doesn't have the "sex appeal" to automatically attract blue chip prospects like Kentucky, North Carolina, Louisville, Texas, Villanova, UCLA, etc., but I think Tubby Smith has the ability to bring these type of players in. Look at Royce White, Devoe Joseph, Rodney Williams and Ralph Sampson — those guys were all 4 star players. He can do.

Bottom line, I would start being concerned if Tubby's 2011 recruiting class isn't ranked in the top 3/4 of the Big Ten. He has a glut of role players right now. Look at it, we have the big bruiser (Iverson), the sharp shooter (Hoffarber), the lockdown defender (Nolen) and the slasher (Williams).

What's missing?

The impact player...

It's tough to rely on guys that "need a couple years."

For what its worth, he is ranked as a "72" on ESPN, meaning "Player could be a three- or four-year contributor with an opportunity to eventually start at a low-major program."

I don't like this. At all! Cole frickin' Stefan is a 90! Why not just throw a scholarship his way too. Maybe he can convert to PG! ;)

For what its worth, he is ranked as a "72" on ESPN, meaning "Player could be a three- or four-year contributor with an opportunity to eventually start at a low-major program."

I don't like this. At all! Cole frickin' Stefan is a 90! Why not just throw a scholarship his way too. Maybe he can convert to PG! ;)

BGF- Butler's coach - who did an okay job this past year- signed a "74" rated SG. I'm sure they have signed a number of players over the recent years in that range. I think we have to trust the coach a bit here. Considering that Maverick was a bit off the radar, at a prep school maybe the 72 rating is not as accurate in this case.

This isn't a great class on paper, but I'd be willing to be we will have a few real pleasant surprises and perhaps even a great one out of the batch. The burden is on Tubby to get a stronger class next year and that's fine.

beeg

BGF- Butler's coach - who did an okay job this past year- signed a "74" rated SG. I'm sure they have signed a number of players over the recent years in that range. I think we have to trust the coach a bit here. Considering that Maverick was a bit off the radar, at a prep school maybe the 72 rating is not as accurate in this case.

This isn't a great class on paper, but I'd be willing to be we will have a few real pleasant surprises and perhaps even a great one out of the batch. The burden is on Tubby to get a stronger class next year and that's fine.

I agree with you.

I am confident EE, Mo, and Austin turn out better than a lot of folks around here currently give them credit for. Oto is also an interesting add.

:)

I'll hold judgment on this kid, as I would most players coming to the Gophers, until about mid-way through the first season. What I do like though is that the young man improved his production year-over-year.

BGF, would you happen to have a link for that rating? I tried to find it and I keep coming up with nothing for this guy. Thanks in advance.

+1 Quite a bit different than most of your posts regarding our recruiting.

Tubby deserves a bit of a mulligan this time around. In all fairness, he went out recruiting for 2010 looking for role players to surround Trevor Mbakwe and Royce White for the next couple years. This has been well documented, so I don't need to expand.

However, this latest class puts a ton of pressure on who Tubby brings in next year. I think 2011 needs to have at least two potential impact players, meaning there needs to be 4/5 stars next to their name on Scout and Rivals. This program cannot thrive with consistent recruiting classes that resemble the 2010 group. The only guy that I'm slightly excited about is Mo Walker, and he isn't even ranked in the top 100.

I understand that Minnesota doesn't have the "sex appeal" to automatically attract blue chip prospects like Kentucky, North Carolina, Louisville, Texas, Villanova, UCLA, etc., but I think Tubby Smith has the ability to bring these type of players in. Look at Royce White, Devoe Joseph, Rodney Williams and Ralph Sampson — those guys were all 4 star players. He can do.

Bottom line, I would start being concerned if Tubby's 2011 recruiting class isn't ranked in the top 3/4 of the Big Ten. He has a glut of role players right now. Look at it, we have the big bruiser (Iverson), the sharp shooter (Hoffarber), the lockdown defender (Nolen) and the slasher (Williams).

What's missing?

The impact player...

It's tough to rely on guys that "need a couple years."

Top Bottom