BIG Anouncement ??

dbuton

Reaction score
Rumors/Speculation over at GI that their will be an important basketball anouncement soon. Anybody hearing anything?? Personally i am hoping for a new practice facility....

GO Gophers!!

I pray to god that it has nothing to do with Tubby....

I had heard speculation from a fairly reliable source about a new practice facility being built against Williams on the University Ave side. I questioned if there was even room there, but the plan I heard would connect underground to the players' locker room and even include a SILO. Have no idea if this is going to be announced soon or if it is just one design being discussed, but it was from a fairly reliable source.

So you don't want Tubby to get a contract extension? The news is positive but not about the practice facility as that will happen at some point anyways.

Announcement

Maturi was on WCCO this morning. He stated that a practice facility is being considered, but not at the top of list yet - baseball park will be first. They will start fundraising for that soon. He did say they are hoping to put the practice facility between Williams & Station 19 where the old Oak St was and use the locker rooms at Williams Arena. He also said that a new weight room would be part of the plan.

So you don't want Tubby to get a contract extension? The news is positive but not about the practice facility as that will happen at some point anyways.

I am pretty sure it is a practice facility. If that is not built, Tubby will be your new coach of Arizona next year.

Maturi has no leverage in this situation. It is either keep Tubby or lose Tubby.

Do we want Tubby if he'd leave over a practice facility?

Unless it was more or less promised before he was hired. It really doesn't need to be built for a while, but if we "announce" it soon, he can use it to recruit the 2010 players and tell them it's on the way.

anticalahan are you an anti gopher fan. If you think OTS will leave after two years because a practice facility is not the first thing being built in athletics that is pretty foolish. I will buy you a case of beer if that happens.

I also think Tubby would be a villian if he left after two years especially with the class he has coming in and not see it thrrough.

If we want a National Contender type program, we need to have competitive/comparable facillities! The money (alumni) is there.

anticalahan are you an anti gopher fan. If you think OTS will leave after two years because a practice facility is not the first thing being built in athletics that is pretty foolish. I will buy you a case of beer if that happens.

I also think Tubby would be a villian if he left after two years especially with the class he has coming in and not see it thrrough.

Rumor is that came from one of the coaching staff mouths in recent days. If a practice facility is announced in the coming weeks/months you'll know why.

Tubby has no reason to be loyal to Minnesota. How many years was he in Georgia before he went to Kentucky? If Tubby wants to play chicken with getting a practice facility, this would be the perfect year with the AZ job open.

is this the rumor from rubechat on KFAN? If so Phil Espisito is an idiot for saying "if not we are going to Arizona next year to a perfect stranger and since when does an entire staff go with somebody to a new job.

He did leave Georgia after two years but that was to Kentucky. Arizona is not a top ten job right now and Kentucky at the time was a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I guess if Tubby left after two years over a practice facility that is sad. They even have a court in the Bierman Building. I guess if push came to shove and they needed to approve it this year or else it would get done. I personally would rather see a new 17,000 seat barn with practice facilities below like they have in the NBA .

is this the rumor from rubechat on KFAN? If so Phil Espisito is an idiot for saying "if not we are going to Arizona next year to a perfect stranger and since when does an entire staff go with somebody to a new job.

He did leave Georgia after two years but that was to Kentucky. Arizona is not a top ten job right now and Kentucky at the time was a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I guess if Tubby left after two years over a practice facility that is sad. They even have a court in the Bierman Building. I guess if push came to shove and they needed to approve it this year or else it would get done. I personally would rather see a new 17,000 seat barn with practice facilities below like they have in the NBA .

I love the Barn, it is a classic building with lots of great memories, but I think some major renovations are needed. The raised floor although great is not practical anymore in my mind, and i am scared that some kid is going to get seriously hurt falling awkwardly off the side. So maybe the big announcement is practice facility with remodeled Barn?!

I personally would rather see a new 17,000 seat barn with practice facilities below like they have in the NBA .

A new barn???? Please No!!!:eek:

Go to a Timberwolves game and then come back and tell me you want a new stadium. Did you look at the Carver Hawkeye arena? Even if it actually had fans in the stands, it looked awful. Obviously it is incredible to be at a game in person at the barn, but even on TV it looks great. With today's building codes, you can not build anything like the current barn. One thing that makes the barn feel so inimate is how steep the upper deck is. You can not build them like that anymore.

None that I have ever heard in my years...part of the intimidation factor of the BARN!!!!!

Announcement

The worst injuries I remember are: Bickerstaff falling off the student end and breaking his leg and Trevor Winter falling off and breaking an arm/hand? There were probably others, but those stand out for me.

has anyone ever been seriously hurt falling off the floor in 80 years of playing at the Barn?

No one has been seriously hurt by falling off the Williams arena floor in all the years it has been in existence. Many kids however have been hurt crashing into the scorers table at non raised floor facilities. Of course there are a lot more non raised floor facilities so the odds are there would be more hurt by crashing into the folding chairs or the scorers table.

Bickerstaff falling off the student end and breaking his leg and Trevor Winter falling off and breaking an arm/hand? There were probably others, but those stand out for me.

Bickerstaff did not break his arm because he "fell off" the floor at Williams arena. He broke it because he got slammed to the floor.

I don't recall the Winter occurance.

Bickerstaff did not break his arm because he "fell off" the floor at Williams arena. He broke it because he got slammed to the floor.

In my lifetime (which is shorter than many others here) I can only recall Voshon Lenard hurting his shoulder mildly after flying over the edge. I don't recall the Bickerstaff or Winter "injuries" referred to above, either.

I am sure there have been many more minor injuries than major because of the floor, but the point is there should be none in my opinion. That kid from PSU today who fell off the floor and landed in the band for example although not seriously hurt should not have to worry about something like that at all.

Like I said I love the Barn and want to keep it, but I think it could use some remodeling to bring it into the 21 century and still have the same charm. They should build a beautiful practice facility to go along with it.

Just my humble opinion. Also it only takes ONE serious injury and the school could find it self in hot water.

G4L15. Was the kid that fell into the band even hurt at all? I guess I don't get how it is more dangerous than flying into the drums on level ground.

I guess to me if a building has been there 80 years we'd have better examples if it were really that dangerous. Perhaps players tone it down a bit compared to other floors and that cuts down on injuries. In any case I don't buy the dangerous argument because the data suggests otherwise. If nobody on the board can even come up with one injury that made a player leave a game because of the raised floor I don't buy the "it's dangerous" line.

My biggest problem is sight lines. The last 1000 or so seats in the place are horrible with poles in the way and what not. I love the character of the barn, but she has her ugly spots.

I am sure there have been many more minor injuries than major because of the floor, but the point is there should be none in my opinion. That kid from PSU today who fell off the floor and landed in the band for example although not seriously hurt should not have to worry about something like that at all.

Like I said I love the Barn and want to keep it, but I think it could use some remodeling to bring it into the 21 century and still have the same charm. They should build a beautiful practice facility to go along with it.

Just my humble opinion. Also it only takes ONE serious injury and the school could find it self in hot water.

Is it easier to fall into a bunch of hands and some instruments like Morrisey did today, or is it easier to, on other courts on a similar play, run into the bleachers or steel chairs with people on them?

I'd say it's a tossup, but the only reason the elevated court is an issue here is because it isn't the norm. If most courts were raised, and only a few not raised, then everytime someone ran into the bleachers we'd all be saying that they're more dangerous.

If 80+ years of Williams Arena basketball means anything, then it appears that the elevated court is not a significant source of injury.

could it be a recruit committing? What happened to that guy from Iowa that everyone was psyched about?

The kid that fell off today must not have been too hurt, since he never came out of the game. If you recall, Tubby took a timeout immediately after the "injury", and the kid that fell off the floor never checked out of the game.

I am pretty sure it is a practice facility. If that is not built, Tubby will be your new coach of Arizona next year.

Maturi has no leverage in this situation. It is either keep Tubby or lose Tubby.

Hogwash. Tubby will retire at Minnesota in 7 years or so. He and Donna love the Twin Cities.

Raised floor

You are correct about Bickerstaff. Trevor Winter did break his arm/wrist falling off the floor.

Glen Taylor

could probably pay for the practice facility himself. McHale and Saunders have deep pockets to contribute. I don't think Glen wants the competition as the T Wolves have already become irrelevant.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom