Today's must read

An interesting column. I'm in Parrish's camp on this one. ... leopards tend not to change their spots.

That's why I tend to be leery about programs that welcome/welcome back those who have been a knucklehead 3 or 4 times over. Once can be a mistake. Multiple = not worth the headache.

Comes from Gary Parrish on CBS Sportsline. The topic is knuckleheads.

I think you could replace the name with several others and the story would be just as accurate

Are you baiting anyone in particular on this board, anonymous? Looks juicy...

that is one of the worst, most childishly written article i have EVER read.

i dont understand how anyone can hold that point of view.

EVERYONE messes up, the difference is that athletes problems are more publicized. What has Ron Artest done since the brawl in Indiana? Nothing major that i can think of, other than be a little weird sometimes. and he seems to have been just fine in LA. Randy Moss has been just fine in New England. And How can he make statements like that about Demarcus Cousins who has done nothing to warrant them at Kentucky?

Anyone care to mention to him Josh Hamilton? Chris Anderson? Ricky Williams? Kobe Bryant?

EDIT: lets also throw in our very own brett favre with his pain killer addiction, The Minnesota Vikings Cris Carter, Kevin Garnett, etc. etc. etc.

scher,

No, not everyone messes up. And to say that is an insult to the players who do the right thing. I haven't seen Blake Hoffarber mess up, Aaron Robinson came from a tough upbringing to earn a degree and make something of his life. Nobody has said a bad word about J'son Stamper. What about Eric Decker? Or the long list of athletes who go through college without being a knucklehead.

scher,

No, not everyone messes up. And to say that is an insult to the players who do the right thing. I haven't seen Blake Hoffarber mess up, Aaron Robinson came from a tough upbringing to earn a degree and make something of his life. Nobody has said a bad word about J'son Stamper. What about Eric Decker? Or the long list of athletes who go through college without being a knucklehead.

just because someone screws up once doesnt mean that they are a knucklehead for life, like this individual (the author of the article) is saying.

Should the Vikings tell Brett, thanks, but no thanks, because he made a knucklehead decision to get addicted to pain killers? Or should we kick Josh Hamilton out of baseball because he used to do Cocaine?

and yes, everyone messes up. no person on this planet is perfect. every athlete and average person has made a dumb decision. or done a "knuckleheaded" thing in their life. yes some do it to various degrees, but i will never believe that blake or eric decker are perfect.

Comes from Gary Parrish on CBS Sportsline. The topic is knuckleheads.

I think you could replace the name with several others and the story would be just as accurate.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...?tag=coverlist_footer;coverlist_photo_content

Kevin Garnett got in fights in high school, had to leave a high school over possible charges, and yet still the timberwolves took a chance on a "knucklehead" and last i checked he is one of the most beloved minnesota athletes.

Scher,

My definition of a knucklehead is someone who has a pattern of doing dumb/stupid/foolish things.

I think Royce White is a knucklehead. I think Gary Tinsley is a knucklehead.

And I think if either of them are allowed back, they will make another stupid decision that reflects poorly on the university.

Scher,

My definition of a knucklehead is someone who has a pattern of doing dumb/stupid/foolish things.

And I think if either of them are allowed back, they will make another stupid decision that reflects poorly on the university.

These people are also very young, and can mature. If there was a "knucklehead" doing stupid things still at a later age, without showing signs of changing, then I would agree with your point a lot more. But these guys are young. Maybe they won't change, but they certainly have and deserve the ability to mature.

When I was young and foolish, I did young and foolish things. Some people learn through trial-and-error not to do young and foolish things anymore.

When I was young and foolish, I did young and foolish things. Some people learn through trial-and-error not to do young and foolish things anymore.

exactly, when royce white stole from macy's he was 17-18 years old, and, at least at my high school, it was common practice amongst many people, especially girls, to steal from clothing stores (and this is at a suburban high school) and as far as the laptop case, all he was ever charged with was being in a dorm room. which is something the majority of college students have done. And as far as his youtube antics and aqua night club thing. He is a basketball player, yes, but he is also interested in his record label, it is essentially what his major was. In order to have a successful label, you must promote yourself and your brand. marketing 101. yeah, we found it annoying as basketball fans. but we all know about his record label now don't we? so he was doing something rigght, seemed like pretty effective strategy to me.

but also, why is demarcus cousins a knucklehead? i still dont get that. what has he done???

and im pretty sure brett favre obsessively using pain killers and josh hamilton using cocain was dumb behavior, but it appears to me that they have changed anyway.

and lastly, right now trevor mbakwe is facing trial, and "portraying the university poorly" when he very well may have done nothing.

It is sooooo easy to accuse an athlete and get them in trouble as they are public figures. If my laptop gets stolen, i could easily go to the police station and the media and say "well actually, devoe joseph was in my apartment complex last night, i am pretty sure he took it." and the next day you'll see on cbssports what a knucklehead devoe joseph is.

Scher most of your examples started over fresh in a new city, perhaps Royce should do the same?

Scher most of your examples started over fresh in a new city, perhaps Royce should do the same?

only royce knows what is best for him, but regardless of being in a new city being the cause, the article said knuckleheads don't change, i believe that they can. and if it takes a new city for royce to get his life in order, by all means, he should. Him fixing his life would be a bigger plus to me than joining the gophers and screwing up (that is, assuming he would only be able to change if he moved to a new city, id like to think if he really wants to, hed be able to change his life as a gopher)

only royce knows what is best for him

Are you sure? Quitting the team one week before his "situation" wrapped up (the number one condition for his return)? Was that best for him?

only royce knows what is best for him, but regardless of being in a new city being the cause, the article said knuckleheads don't change, i believe that they can. and if it takes a new city for royce to get his life in order, by all means, he should. Him fixing his life would be a bigger plus to me than joining the gophers and screwing up (that is, assuming he would only be able to change if he moved to a new city, id like to think if he really wants to, hed be able to change his life as a gopher)

Good stuff scher215... I am always teetering on the fence with Royce and other's who fit the knucklehead criteria. A much as I disaprove of some of their behavior, I'd love to see them help the Goph's win more games. Maybe I use the hope that they are just young and will grow-up as a deflection from the belief that they should just be asked to take a hike from the University. Anyhow, I do think everyone has a chance to leave the knucklehead part of them behind, but how long of a leash do guys get?

I probably wouldn't take White back (too much drama for me and I think it will always be a part of him) but it is unfair to compare him to guys who break noses. White clearly has made stupid mistakes but he seems to be more of an "obnoxious teenager" than anything.

I worry that Kevin Whaley will end up in jail. I don't worry about White at all- he may piss away a possible NBA career but none of his actions lead me to think he will ever commit serious or violent crimes.

Are you sure? Quitting the team one week before his "situation" wrapped up (the number one condition for his return)? Was that best for him?

I apologize I should have said "only Royce can make the decision of what's best for him" we all agree quitting was the wrong move, but no one knows Royce white better than he does and for some reason he felt that was the best move for him.

I apologize I should have said "only Royce can make the decision of what's best for him" we all agree quitting was the wrong move, but no one knows Royce white better than he does and for some reason he felt that was the best move for him.

Fair enough.

Scher,

Nothing reflects more poorly on the university than losing football and basketball programs. I don't care if a few guys get into trouble occasionally, whether it's the fb team or the band. They're not my kids.

Winners take chances on so-called "knuckleheads." Few programs are in the position to limit themselves to choirboys and still win.

Top Bottom