In-State Talent 2011

woohoo

Reaction score
Don't know about the rest of you - but after the Cory Joseph decision I feel like its been getting harder to be optimistic about team for next year.

Soooo - on to 2011

A quick check at the most reputable recruiting site (espn:rolleyes:) reveals some interesting recruits. They've got 9 87+ recruits in minnesota for 2011 which I deem valid talent b/c this is the type of ratings (per espn) we have coming in this year.

pos rank Overall
Shelby Moats PF 6'9" 225 Waconia H.S. PF#18 92
Ross Travis SF 6'7" 195 Chaska H.S. SF #24 92
Joe Coleman SG 6'3" 180 Hopkins H.S. SG #33 91
Jonah Travis SF 6'6" 215 De La Salle H.S. SF #34 90
Tom Schalk PF 6'7" 190 Apple Valley H.S. PF #43 89
Marvin Singleton SF 6'5" 210 Hopkins H.S. SF #48 88
Estan Tyler PG 6'1" 180 Johnson H.S. PG #58 88
Kyle Noreen SG 6'5" 185 Mn Transitions SG #75 87
Jake White PF 6'8" 215 Chaska H.S. PF #65 87

It should be exciting to see what kind of rankings these guys hold at the end of the summer. I for one, would like to see offers to Moats, Ross Travis, and Estan Tyler. Coleman already has an offer, although there are definate questions about its validity after that awkward fiasco last year. But I like him too. I have only seen some of these guys online. So those who have seen them, please give your input.

Who'd you take?

I'm no ESPN but I'll try my best. I'll go some positives, and then the thing colleges are watching to see if they can do.

Shelby Moats: Shelby has great shooting range and is a standout pick and pop four man. Because of this he is likely to get a few high major offers as he fits some schemes quite well. Right now his best offer is Utah. College coaches don't know about his lift and they want to see him against other top fours and fives this summer.

Ross Travis: Ross has the build for a high major guy. He's 6-foot-7 as a true wing, has good skill with a nice shot and he played a lot of PG for Chaska this year out of necessity, very good athlete who had one of the most explosive dunks ever a couple weekends back in St. Cloud, and Ross is playing more aggressive. Ross has been injured a lot in his young career so college coaches want to know how durable he is and how consistently he can use those abilities described earlier on the national scene. Ross said his offers to me in a story and the best offers are from Oregon State and UNI right now I believe. Iowa State was said to have offered but they have a new staff so who knows about that now.

Joe Coleman: One of the most explosive athletes out there and he's continually working on his skill level which is improving. Joe showed glimpses of his floor game hitting a three or two a game this year plus showing some improved pull-up ability that I saw going left as well as right. Didn't have to use much dribble attack pull-up stuff or outside shooting much because Joe was simply to athletic for most opponents to contain so he scored a ton on put-backs, transition scores, hard attacking drives. College coaches want to see that ball skill perimeter game against top notch opponents this summer. Offer from Minnesota as well as Colorado State, and Texas A&M has shown a ton of interest recently putting two coaches in his gym

Jonah Travis: Already having a great AAU season. He's a complete bulldog that you can not knock off balance going at the rim from the elbow in. For you WWF fans he's like Greg the Hammer Valentine, the more the match goes the better he gets. In Jonah terms, he wears defenses down with his constant attack allowing himself to get lay-ins and free throws in abundance at the end of games. Right now he's a combo forward. He's shown that he can hit mid-range jumpers and spot up to make triples but very rarely does he take them as he usually works around the elbow and on the block. Has 6 low and mid major offers right now.

Tom Schalk: A skilled combo forward with good height and a strong motor. Schalk can handle some, has shooting range, and he can finish around the basket over bigger, stronger, and more athletic players kind of like the way Dusty Rychart did for the Gophers. Schalk also runs pretty well. Right now he's pretty skinny and that's why the offers are building quite yet. Several mid-majors do like him a lot but they are waiting a little because some other guys have more bulk with similar ability. But the second they see they may not get the guy with more bulk or if Schalk adds a little the offers will mount. I see him at a nice mid-major.

Marvin Singleton: When Minnesota football prospects lists come out he should be on the automatic top 15 regardless if he plays football or not. Strong as an ox, great build, good athlete who runs the floor very well, and let's not forget that he's a standout in the classroom too. So much that I have heard IVY's are interested and this is an athlete you don't see in the Ivy League much so you know he would play a lot from day one there. Marvin is about 6-foot-4 and at that height he's still a combo forward guy. Can he play on the perimeter? He's working hard at it but it has to be shown this off-season. At the high school level there really aren't to many who can deal with him around the basket, they just bounce off. Schools will watch both his perimeter improvements this summer and if he can finish over potential D1 bigs who won't bounce off.

Estan Tyler: An infectious kid. So many people want to play with Estan as he's a good kid and a good leader. Playing in the system at Johnson you didn't always get a chance to see him set up and run a halfcourt offense so many schools want to see how he does there this summer. But with Johnson you saw Estan sit down and defend, you saw him actively run the floor and both score as well as create for others on the break, Estan hit open threes at a solid rate, and he made pull-up jumpers consistently from good range. The college coaches around the nation are watching to see how he does against the next level athlete with elite foot speed. Can Estan do those things against the elite level of athletic guards? That's the focus as well as how he does in the halfcourt set although Estan has done a great job in the past of running the 43 Hoops halfcourt stuff so that's more of something they just want to see again. Northern Iowa is all over this kid night and day. They were the first to offer him.

Kyle Noreen: Kyle has been put against numerous skilled wings and he usually shuts them all down. A very good defender who knows positioning like a college senior although I personally haven't seen him guard an elite athletic wing like a Joe Coleman, its always great defense on big time shooters like a Josh Oglesby. Kyle is also an excellent passer, he's trusted to handle the ball as a point in spots, a tough minded kid and he's usually a solid three-point shooter at 6-foot-5/6-foot-6 although he wasn't hitting his three this past weekend (or up in St. Cloud at the Comets Invite) with as much consistency as usual. Was just offered by Duquesne. High academic kid as well.

Jake White: Jake is that forward with more girth that I was talking earlier in the Schalk part. Jake has a nice touch, he's a really tough rebounder, and Jake has a knack for finding o-boards and putting them away. White has really increased his shooting range as well and he's tough as he showed this year defending himself against an Eastview player. White has offers from UNI and Colorado State amongst others so far. Will he be high major? He was at Northwestern for a visit earlier this winter and they seem to be pretty interested. At 6-foot-7 Jake is skill and toughness and a definite top notch mid-major guy although not a big time explosive athlete like a Trevor Mbakwe at 6-foot-7 so colleges will watch to see how he handles himself against those players.

Don't know about the rest of you - but after the Cory Joseph decision I feel like its been getting harder to be optimistic about team for next year.

Soooo - on to 2011

A quick check at the most reputable recruiting site (espn:rolleyes:) reveals some interesting recruits. They've got 9 87+ recruits in minnesota for 2011 which I deem valid talent b/c this is the type of ratings (per espn) we have coming in this year.

pos rank Overall

It should be exciting to see what kind of rankings these guys hold at the end of the summer. I for one, would like to see offers to Moats, Ross Travis, and Estan Tyler. Coleman already has an offer, although there are definate questions about its validity after that awkward fiasco last year. But I like him too. I have only seen some of these guys online. So those who have seen them, please give your input.

Who'd you take?

Rankings mean SQUAT especially as juniors.

Soooo - on to 2011

pos rank Overall

Who'd you take?

What awkward fiasco with Coleman?
Great research, but these rankings seem a little bloated. I was under the impression that anything in the 90s means a player has the ability to become an all-conference type player at the high major level. Shelby Moats? Really?

I'm no ESPN but I'll try my best. I'll go some positives, and then the thing colleges are watching to see if they can do.

Shelby Moats: Shelby has great shooting range and is a standout pick and pop four man. Because of this he is likely to get a few high major offers as he fits some schemes quite well. Right now his best offer is Utah. College coaches don't know about his lift and they want to see him against other top fours and fives this summer.

Ross Travis: Ross has the build for a high major guy. He's 6-foot-7 as a true wing, has good skill with a nice shot and he played a lot of PG for Chaska this year out of necessity, very good athlete who had one of the most explosive dunks ever a couple weekends back in St. Cloud, and Ross is playing more aggressive. Ross has been injured a lot in his young career so college coaches want to know how durable he is and how consistently he can use those abilities described earlier on the national scene. Ross said his offers to me in a story and the best offers are from Oregon State and UNI right now I believe. Iowa State was said to have offered but they have a new staff so who knows about that now.

Joe Coleman: One of the most explosive athletes out there and he's continually working on his skill level which is improving. Joe showed glimpses of his floor game hitting a three or two a game this year plus showing some improved pull-up ability that I saw going left as well as right. Didn't have to use much dribble attack pull-up stuff or outside shooting much because Joe was simply to athletic for most opponents to contain so he scored a ton on put-backs, transition scores, hard attacking drives. College coaches want to see that ball skill perimeter game against top notch opponents this summer. Offer from Minnesota as well as Colorado State and Texas A&M has shown a ton of interest recently putting two coaches in his gym

Jonah Travis: Already having a great AAU season. He's a complete bulldog that you can not knock off balance going at the rim from the elbow in. For you WWF fans he's like Greg the Hammer Valentine, the more the match goes the better he gets. In Jonah terms, he wears defenses down with his constant attack allowing himself to get lay-ins and free throws in abundance at the end of games. Right now he's a combo forward. He's shown that he can hit mid-range jumpers and spot up to make triples but very rarely does he take them as he usually works around the elbow and on the block. Has 6 low and mid major offers right now.

Tom Schalk: A skilled combo forward with good height and a strong motor. Schalk can handle some, has shooting range, and he can finish around the basket over bigger, stronger, and more athletic players kind of like the way Dusty Rychart did for the Gophers. Schalk also runs pretty well. Right now he's pretty skinny and that's why the offers are building quite yet. Several mid-majors do like him a lot but they are waiting a little because some other guys have more bulk with similar ability. But the second they see they may not get the guy with more bulk or if Schalk adds a little the offers will mount. I see him at a nice mid-major.

Marvin Singleton: When Minnesota football prospects lists come out he should be on the automatic top 15 regardless if he plays football or not. Strong as an ox, great build, good athlete who runs the floor very well, and let's not forget that he's a standout in the classroom too. So much that I have heard IVY's are interested and this is an athlete you don't see in the Ivy League much so you know he would play a lot from day one there. Marvin is about 6-foot-4 and at that height he's still a combo forward guy. Can he play on the perimeter? He's working hard at it but it has to be shown this off-season. At the high school level there really aren't to many who can deal with him around the basket, they just bounce off. Schools will watch both his perimeter improvements this summer and if he can finish over potential D1 bigs who won't bounce off.

Estan Tyler: An infectious kid. So many people want to play with Estan as he's a good kid and a good leader. Playing in the system at Johnson you didn't always get a chance to see him set up and run a halfcourt offense so many schools want to see how he does there this summer. But with Johnson you saw Estan sit down and defend, you saw him actively run the floor and both score as well as create for others on the break, Estan hit open threes at a solid rate, and he made pull-up jumpers consistently from good range. The college coaches around the nation are watching to see how he does against the next level athlete with elite foot speed. Can Estan do those things against the elite level of athletic guards? That's the focus as well as how he does in the halfcourt set although Estan has done a great job in the past of running the 43 Hoops halfcourt stuff so that's more of something they just want to see again. Northern Iowa is all over this kid night and day. They were the first to offer him.

Kyle Noreen: Kyle has been put against numerous skilled wings and he usually shuts them all down. A very good defender who knows positioning like a college senior although I personally haven't seen him guard an elite athletic wing like a Joe Coleman, its always great defense on big time shooters like a Josh Oglesby. Kyle is also an excellent passer, he's trusted to handle the ball as a point in spots, a tough minded kid and he's usually a solid three-point shooter at 6-foot-5/6-foot-6 although he wasn't hitting his three this past weekend (or up in St. Cloud at the Comets Invite) with as much consistency as usual. Was just offered by Duquesne. High academic kid as well.

Jake White: Jake is that forward with more girth that I was talking earlier in the Schalk part. Jake has a nice touch, he's a really tough rebounder, and Jake has a knack for finding o-boards and putting them away. White has really increased his shooting range as well and he's tough as he showed this year defending himself against an Eastview player. White has offers from UNI and Colorado State amongst others so far. Will he be high major? He was at Northwestern for a visit earlier this winter and they seem to be pretty interested. At 6-foot-7 Jake is skill and toughness and a definite top notch mid-major guy although not a big time explosive athlete like a Trevor Mbakwe at 6-foot-7 so colleges will watch to see how he handles himself against those players.

Texas A&M offered Coleman? Wow, I had no idea.

No Texas A&M did not offer Joe that I am aware of. They have had two coaches up here is what it says.

Awesome summary, Ryan James. I think that's a great post to reference and keep in mind. Thanks!

No love for Marquel Curtis? 22 ppg 11 rebound pg as a junior? already 1000 career points? 2nd in scoring in the classic lake only to joe coleman, but also averaged a double double every game, coleman only with like 5 rebounds per game.

Joe Coleman: One of the most explosive athletes out there and he's continually working on his skill level which is improving. Joe showed glimpses of his floor game hitting a three or two a game this year plus showing some improved pull-up ability that I saw going left as well as right. Didn't have to use much dribble attack pull-up stuff or outside shooting much because Joe was simply to athletic for most opponents to contain so he scored a ton on put-backs, transition scores, hard attacking drives. College coaches want to see that ball skill perimeter game against top notch opponents this summer. Offer from Minnesota as well as Colorado State, and Texas A&M has shown a ton of interest recently putting two coaches in his gym

Good stuff Ryan and tell your cuz wat up for me.

Mike-JamesAmityville.jpg

Thanks for the detailed writeup. Doesn't sound like there are really stars in this class, but lots of very solid players.

Wow RJ, thanks for the info. I didn't expect such a detailed write-up. It's nice to hear from somebody so considerate and knowledgeble on this topic. It's probably the longest post I have ever read all the way through, not to mention I'll probably read it through again.

FOT, I don't put a lot of value in the rankings either but I was just looking for a nice point to start a conversion about the talent in state. But unfortunately as I am a somewhat casual follower of HS sports, I don't have a lot to go by. Thats why posters and posts like that above are so important for guys like me. Feel free to add anyone to the list that you consider it worthwhile to write about.

Wow RJ, thanks for the info. I didn't expect such a detailed write-up. It's nice to hear from somebody so considerate and knowledgeble on this topic. It's probably the longest post I have ever read all the way through, not to mention I'll probably read it through again.

FOT, I don't put a lot of value in the rankings either but I was just looking for a nice point to start a conversion about the talent in state. But unfortunately as I am a somewhat casual follower of HS sports, I don't have a lot to go by. Thats why posters and posts like that above are so important for guys like me. Feel free to add anyone to the list that you consider it worthwhile to write about.

Instead of Jr year rankings, I'd look for players who are starring for their AAU teams this spring.

Josh Oglesby (for EG) led his Iowa Barnstormers AAU team to a big W at Spiece tourney in Ft Wayne IN last night. He had a great night shooting (making) 3-pt FG.

Many GH-ers are sketical of his talent but he's "blowing up" this spring at AAU events.

Awesome post, Ryan....please feel free to visit and contribute more often!!!! :)

Ryan most certainly knows his stuff when it comes to the Minnesota prep hoops scene.

Personally, I like Ross Travis the best from the perspective of college prospects. He really is a 6'6" or 7" wing and is a very good athlete. He is a capable ball-handler and passer, and his shooting stroke appears pretty solid mechanically. If he can stay healthy and show college coaches that he can produce consistently, I could see him as the most recruited prospect in the class. I know UW has taken a look at him, but they offers out to a couple other 2011 SFs. If they miss on those guys, I would not mind them taking a hard look at Travis.

As noted above, there aren't any can't miss guys in Minnesota's 2011 class, but there are certainly a number of solid guys who are worth keeping an eye on.

I'd go with IDing Estan Taylor and Joe Coleman standing out from the rest of the pack. A year ago Ross Travis appeared to be the prize, but injuries and Jake White emerging as "the guy" seemed to steal his thunder. This summer will be big for him. It would be nice to be able to go out of state for 2 top 150 guys and sign those three in-state guys.

Also note that the following already have D1 offers (at least reported to me by coaches):

Marcus Alipate, Bloom Jeff
Alex Richter, Lakeville South
Lucas Brown, Roseville
Roosevelt Scott, St. Paul Johnson
Marquel Curtis, Armstrong

Top Bottom