Eric Stark offered roster spot

Reserve

Reaction score
Per Ryan James tweet.

Eric Stark is visiting Minnesota on Monday. Will the Gophers add another GR walk-on? Tubby offered him a roster spot.

I was going to start a thread on this one earlier but I couldn't find enough info about him ..

Another blurb I saw today was ..

Minnesota was the second school to offer Van Der Wal and they like him for both football and basketball, with Tubby Smith's recruitment of him key.

Insert Dillon for a first name. Had to be a member or subscriber to see any other info for him.

Grand Rapids, I thought he was the best player in the top two classes in the state tournament this year. I didn't see any of the other classes so I don't know about those.

If you could get him as a walkon it would be a steal. Wonder if they aren't asking him to walkon and if a scholership becomes available he gets it, ie Whites, Mbwake, or Cobbs.

For the uninformed, what position does he play?

For the uninformed, what position does he play?

He's a guard, shoots well, handles the ball, good basketball skills, probably not being recruited because he does not compare athletically to other D1 guards.

Lol, I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer sometimes but it just occured to me what a
GR walk-on was. A Grand Rapids walk-on.

Alrighty then. All caught up.

i think we may have found a diamond in the rough! the kid has game from what i saw!

Why wouldn't he accept a scholarship from a Division II school? Now he has to pay for college. But if this is what he wants, that's great. Probably a boyhood dream to play for Minny.

Why wouldn't he accept a scholarship from a Division II school? Now he has to pay for college. But if this is what he wants, that's great. Probably a boyhood dream to play for Minny.

D2 programs offer scholarships?

Dusty Rychart anyone?

Good old Dusty Rychart. Limited scholarship offers. Limited athletically. Turned out, he was the best player on the Gopher team. Could lightning strike twice? I think he was from Grand Rapids too! Make The Range good again for the Gophers!

Sometimes full, often partial scholarships.

I'm fairly certain, and I might get the terms wrong, that basketball and several other sports are considered " head count " sports in that if you are on the team and are on scholarship, you receive a full scholarship. Unlike a sport like baseball where a school may have 10 scholarships that can be split among 25 players. Basketball, volleyball, football, probably a few others, are head count sports.

20 ppg? not that impressive. No way would i offer him a scholly. That's like giving a scholarship to a D3 caliber player.

20 ppg? not that impressive. No way would i offer him a scholly. That's like giving a scholarship to a D3 caliber player.

I watched the state finals with my nephew, we both agreed that the kid could play, we thought that is the kind of player that goes to Northern Iowa, becomes a star in a few years, and you really regret letting him get away.

Royce White averaged 16.4 ppg as a senior. Are you saying the Gophers shouldn't have offered him a scholarship?

Royce White averaged 16.4 ppg as a senior. Are you saying the Gophers shouldn't have offered him a scholarship?
On a team with 5 D1 starters, consistently playing against the top programs in the state, and playing nationally.

16 ppg on Hopkins with Lockett, Broghammer, Cowels, Williams, Singleton, etc. is a little different than 20 ppg for Grand Rapids.

Rodney Williams @ Robbinsdale Cooper Senior High School • averaged 15.5 points.

If Stark was averaging 30+ in class 1a or 2a people would say he's no good, but he showed he can do it against the best state 3A teams. No question the kid has game.

On a team with 5 D1 starters, consistently playing against the top programs in the state, and playing nationally.

16 ppg on Hopkins with Lockett, Broghammer, Cowels, Williams, Singleton, etc. is a little different than 20 ppg for Grand Rapids.

I think you quoted the wrong person. Obviously you take the context of the competition, style of play, etc. into account.

Looking at someone's scoring average, without ever having seen him play, his shooting %, his mpg, the style of offense his team runs, his height, weight, level of fitness, physique, etc., etc., and saying "he's not worthy of a scholly" (which, P.S., he's not even being offered) based solely on that one piece of circumstantial evidence is just stupid.

Somewhat true, but for Stark who was the sole star player on a team, the opponent focused defense on him. For Hopkins you need to play against all five. He might not excel but Grand Rapids gave us Dusty.

I don't think anyone is offering him a scholarship. It's just a roster spot. I think if you can add him as a walk-on, just like Dawson last year, that's fantastic. Suit him up.

Still an ignorant comment by go gophs

I was replying to someone who said we should give him a scholarship next year or if Royce dosen't come back or something. I personally know D3 players who averaged 20 ppg as a senior in 4A ball. and they were both 6'4 6'5 and could shoot and dribble. This kid being 6'2" and not very fast would never make it in a Major conference. I don't care if hes a hometown hero. And royce and Rodney played on teams full of talent.

And royce and Rodney played on teams full of talent.

There is no comparison between the talent on Coopers roster and Hopkins in 2009. Hypothetically, I would say Grand Rapids '10 was much better than Rodney's '09 team.

Top Bottom