SPCPrice21

Reaction score
So right now our starting lineup is

PG Davoe
SG Blake
SF Rodney
PF Colt
C Ralph

(not counting Al Nolen or Trevor Mbwake since theyre still suspended? i think)

Can this team make a run in the NCAA tourny? can they even make it? or will they be NIT bound? The bench isnt solid either. I dont mean to be negative. Just a worried fan!

It seems like everything bad that could happen with the players has happened.

Dream team right now.

PG Al
SG Davoe
SF White
PF Mbwake
C Ralph

Bench: Blake (better off bench) Colt, Rodney. Im not saying CJ cuz he never committed.
THIS SHOULD BE OUR TEAM RIGHT NOW :(

Bench: Blake (better off bench)
Never going to happen, as so many have already stated. Tubby likes Hoff and his game too much.

Leading returning scorer on our team, logged the most minutes on the team last year, will be a senior and captain, top shooter in the Big 10, etc; no way he's coming off the bench.

Plus, as evidenced by his play when he comes off the bench vs. when he starts, he's a MUCH better player when he's in the starting lineup...gets a better sense of flow/timing, which is critical for a shooter.

Never going to happen, as so many have already stated. Tubby likes Hoff and his game too much.

Leading returning scorer on our team, logged the most minutes on the team last year, will be a senior and captain, top shooter in the Big 10, etc; no way he's coming off the bench.

Plus, as evidenced by his play when he comes off the bench vs. when he starts, he's a MUCH better player when he's in the starting lineup...gets a better sense of flow/timing, which is critical for a shooter.

That was just my dream team. on my realistic team he will start. It just seems like the more athletic lineup would do better and when a sharp shooter can come off the bench and light it up its just so much sweeter!

That was just my dream team. on my realistic team he will start. It just seems like the more athletic lineup would do better and when a sharp shooter can come off the bench and light it up its just so much sweeter!
The major problem with your "dream team" is that no one on that team can hit an outside shot consistently (based on their career percentages).

Thus, as athletic as the team is, an opposing team could just pack it in and make us shoot from the outside. Between Nolen, Joseph, White, and Mbakwe, the only one that can even LOOK at the rim outside of 12-14 ft is Joseph, and he doesn't even shoot it very well.

As athletic as that team would be, they would struggle to put the ball in the hoop because they wouldn't have an outside threat to extend the defense.

The major problem with your "dream team" is that no one on that team can hit an outside shot consistently (based on their career percentages).

Thus, as athletic as the team is, an opposing team could just pack it in and make us shoot from the outside. Between Nolen, Joseph, White, and Mbakwe, the only one that can even LOOK at the rim outside of 12-14 ft is Joseph, and he doesn't even shoot it very well.

As athletic as that team would be, they would struggle to put the ball in the hoop because they wouldn't have an outside threat to extend the defense.

Just cause id put Blake as the sixth man doesnt mean he wouldnt play a alot.. Ala Manu Ganubali and Kevin Love. You man a great point that the teams outside shooting would struggle, but thats when u put Blake in. Putting Blake in the starting lineup would be fine also and take White of the bench.
This thread wasnt suppose to be about the "dream team" its suppose to be about this realistic one. The team we have right now. Is this team gonna be a NIT team?

PG Davoe
SG Blake
SF Rodney
PF Colt
C Ralph

:(

Switch Colt and Ralph. Ralph is better away from the basket than Colt, and Colt is better on the block. Not that bad a starting lineup. If Rodney could have a break out year it might be a very good lineup.

Is 49% from 3 in the last 12 games not shooting it very well? I agree that Hoffarber is an incredibly good shooter and I realize that you are very biased towards him, but come on, he's not the only one on the team that is a good shooter. Admitting that Devoe is a good shooter isn't going to take any of the thunder away from Blake.

Is 49% from 3 in the last 12 games not shooting it very well? I agree that Hoffarber is an incredibly good shooter and I realize that you are very biased towards him, but come on, he's not the only one on the team that is a good shooter. Admitting that Devoe is a good shooter isn't going to take any of the thunder away from Blake.
Devoe Joseph is a career 38% 3 pt shooter.

That is a decent percentage, but by no means a "great" shooter. I think Al Nolen also hit 100% of this 3's in 4 consecutive games (just showing that pulling random stats from games isn't necessarily indicative of reality).

I like Devoe, I like his game, and think he helps the U. I also like Hoffarber; like the way he plays, his smarts, and what he brings to the team with his overall game. However, there is no comparison between Hoffarber to Joseph when talking about the attention they demand from the defense. That's all I'm saying.

Devoe Joseph is a career 38% 3 pt shooter.

That is a decent percentage, but by no means a "great" shooter. I think Al Nolen also hit 100% of this 3's in 4 consecutive games (just showing that pulling random stats from games isn't necessarily indicative of reality).

I like Devoe, I like his game, and think he helps the U. I also like Hoffarber; like the way he plays, his smarts, and what he brings to the team with his overall game. However, there is no comparison between Hoffarber to Joseph when talking about the attention they demand from the defense. That's all I'm saying.

Devoe led the team into the NCAA tourney. Nuff said. Dont say he didnt either, without him we dont win the mich. state game.

Devoe led the team into the NCAA tourney. Nuff said. Dont say he didnt either, without him we dont win the mich. state game.
Is anyone reading what I'm writing?

I never said he didn't lead us the last few games? "Nuff said."

PG Davoe
SG Blake
SF Rodney
PF Colt
C Ralph

That right there is actually a damn good starting five. A scoring point, one of the best shooters in the country at the two, most explosive athlete in conference at the three, and TWO productive 7-footers on the floor, right from from the jump? How many teams have that?

The bench, however, would leave much to be desired.

Devoe Joseph ...

tied a school-record with seven trey’s en route to a career-high 23 points (all in the 2nd half) in 22 minutes against Penn State

that team is 8-10 at best in the conference......AT BEST

Leading returning scorer on our team, logged the most minutes on the team last year, will be a senior and captain, top shooter in the Big 10, etc; no way he's coming off the bench. Plus, as evidenced by his play when he comes off the bench vs. when he starts, he's a MUCH better player when he's in the starting lineup...gets a better sense of flow/timing, which is critical for a shooter.

Agreed, pretty much sums it up.

There's so many questions about next year, I don't even know whether or not the Gophers are done recruiting for 2010 or not.

A team with a top 7 guys of Al, Devoe, Blake, Royce, Trevor, Colton, and Ralph would be very formidable. Take away 1, 2, or 3 of those names and the expectations for the team decline dramatically.

There's so many questions about next year, I don't even know whether or not the Gophers are done recruiting for 2010 or not.

A team with a top 7 guys of Al, Devoe, Blake, Royce, Trevor, Colton, and Ralph would be very formidable. Take away 1, 2, or 3 of those names and the expectations for the team decline dramatically.

agreed

Top Bottom