Westbrook

Gopherholefan

Reaction score
Anybody else notice that before the national anthem, Tubby stepped in front of our line of guys and motioned to everybody to make sure they had their hand over their heart for the singing of the NA???Well, he did, and everybody followed (even goldy), except for westbrook. He just kept his hands in his pockets of his warm-up jacket...he also seemed to be rather disgusted when he was walking back to the bench after he got taken out of the game in the first half. Is there some bad blood here?? Yes, he did hit those 3 shots right away, so please don't respond with something saying that it didn't affect his play...

Wasn't at the game but didn't notice anything. Westbrook is always a pretty stoic player and deserves a load of credit for getting us going today when nobody else was hitting in the first five minutes.

The hand over your heart for the National Anthem should be purely optional. I NEVER put my hand over my heart, and mean nothing by it, I just don't do that.

Yes, it is optional and so is the amount of playing time Tubby gives.

What's wrong with a hand over the heart during the anthem?

Hands in pockets is hardly a show of respect, let alone standing at attention.

Maybe Westbrook is unhappy with the latest economic stimulus proposal, and that was his way of protesting.

For the record, I usually stand with my hands behind my back, unless I'm wearing a hat (which I take off and hold over my heart). Is that disrespectful?

He might be a Muslim...not sure. That might be an explanation to why he wouldn't put his hand over his heart.

It happened really fast, but during the Louisville game when they interviewed his dad, he said either "praise to Allah" or "praise to God." It happened so fast, I didn't catch which, but I thought it sounded like Allah.

Maybe he secretly hates america just like our future president?

Who cares though. It seems Westbrook is the latest Gopher to draw the ire of people looking for someone to complain about, and for no good reason. Leave the kid alone.

We're getting dangerously close to some yahoo making a stupid statement. Last year it some knucklehead that was saying the Gorillas in the student section were racist. Now someone will say we have a terrorist on the team. There is always some putz in every group that wants to stir things up using race or religion.

I do remember reading in an article leading up to the Louisville game that Westbrook and his family are indeed Muslims. At any rate, this is something being made out of nothing. The guy is a phenomenal basketball player, and lets leave it at that!

Maybe he secretly hates america just like our future president?

Who cares though. It seems Westbrook is the latest Gopher to draw the ire of people looking for someone to complain about, and for no good reason. Leave the kid alone.

Then why make a stupid statement like "Maybe he secretly hates america just like our future president?"

You clearly are new here.

I understand you may have been joking, and your next statement suggested that. I only asked why you would type it in the first place? Even as a joke, it was inappropriate for this forum.

Knock it off. This is supposed to discussion about Gopher Basketball. I don't care if Lawrence is Jewish, Muslim, Lutheran, Roman Catholic, Methodist, Presbyterian, Mormon, Agnostic, Atheist, whatever. Ignorance is showing on behalf of some of the comments. Please knock it off. Go Gophers!!!!!!!!

We're getting dangerously close to some yahoo making a stupid statement. Last year it some knucklehead that was saying the Gorillas in the student section were racist. Now someone will say we have a terrorist on the team. There is always some putz in every group that wants to stir things up using race or religion.

I meant nothing of terrorism with that comment. It's a fact that some Muslims do not put their hand over their heart during the anthem. I remember this being a big deal with some big name players in the NBA recently...thanks for jumping to conclusions and telling me what I meant to say though.

EDIT: the only reason I pointed that out was I was trying to answer the original poster's question of why he doesn't put his hand over his heart.

Do Muslims refuse to honor any nation or just America? Just asking.

I don't either but is there a reason that some Muslims do not ?

Nate,

No need to over-react. Just curious.

It's beyond rude to read into something so silly. Regardless, it is everybody's right as an American to decide what they want to do with their hands in public.

I don't put my hand over my heart because I think it's silly to recognize a country by placing my hand roughly over a pulsating muscle that is pumping fluid through my body.

If anything we should be placing our hands over our brains because that's where any allegiance would be physically centered.

Symbolism = annoying.

what an odd thread

Westbrook seems like a fine young man to me and I am proud to have him represent the U. I support freedom of religion and the freedom to sink free throws at the end of the game. Westbrook is my man.

Go to any sporting event and at least 30% of the crowd doesn't have their hand over their heart and at least 30% of the guys wearing hats don't take them off. Westbrook is a solid player and has never had any issues I know about so lets leave him be

Without question Westbrook is the Gopher I'd least want to get in a fight with. I'm almost positive he's half crazy.

Actually

it is the current resident in the white house that hates america, Why else would he drive our country right into the ground.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom