A take on Big Ten expansion, what it'd mean for hoops

Big XII breakup?

Saw this article in the Kansas City Star. If the Pac-10 takes Colorado, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, and Texas A&M, I guess that'd mean the Big Ten could take Nebraska and Missouri.

On a separate note, if I was at Iowa State, I'd be very, VERY worried about the future right about now. Where would they go if the Big XII breaks up, and the Big Ten doesn't want to add the Cyclones?

^^^^^^^

Same with Kansas. If the BIG 12 breaks up it'll be rough for them trying to find a place to take them and KSU

KU has the most to lose in this situation and trust me, officials there are worried.

I have said to a number of people that KU needs to be pro-active and try to get into the ACC to create the nation's premier basketball conference. It looks like there will be a big group of schools from the B12 leaving for the Pac 10 and we'll add a couple of teams as well. That will leave KU and a few bottom feeders: KSU, ISU and Baylor. That is bad bad bad for KU. They risk sitting in a conference with those three B12 schools and adding teams like SMU, TCU, Houston, Memphis, UAB, etc. That would be bad news for KU in sports, academic reputation, brand, etc.

If they can get hooked up with the ACC (I suppose they'll have to drag KSU with them) then the ACC will be the best basketball conference in the nation regardless of how the B10/P10, etc. shakes out. A conference tournament with three of the top five programs in the nation in addition to Maryland (assuming they stay), Wake, etc. is a power basketball conference.

KU's problem is it's average football program, lack of major media market and lack of overall sports, in addition to it not offering academic prestiege of a Texas type of addition.

Lew Perkins is a schrewd businessman, but his biggest challenge to date will be to ensure KU isn't in a glorified mid-major conference.

Go Gophers!!

I don't know if I would call the KSU and Baylor BB programs bottom feeders anymore, they are definitely programs on the rise.

betterdead,

If you aren't a football power or don't have a long history of basketball success, you are a bottom feeder.

Neither KSU, Baylor or Iowa State generate nearly enough revenue to be anything other than a BCS bottom feeder.

betterdead,

If you aren't a football power or don't have a long history of basketball success, you are a bottom feeder.

Neither KSU, Baylor or Iowa State generate nearly enough revenue to be anything other than a BCS bottom feeder.

That is why I said BB programs. They both have had a lot more success than us as of of late, as we are still looking for a tournament win...

Top Bottom