Fake Calipari Facebook Message, Real Marquis Teague Answer

Reminds me of a T-shirt reportedly making the rounds in Lexington:

"We sold our soul to the devil and all I got was this lousy Elite 8 T-shirt."

Interesting if true, but this seems like something that could easily be photoshopped.

Dear God,

Please let this be real, or atleast enough to kick Calipari out of college basketball.

Thanks,
MNBoiler

I wonder if Teague was referring to Academic Fraud that was so widespread at some places in the 1990's.

Why don't you pick up your fat butt and hang out at the Purdue or Kentucky board, or whatever school has the misfortune of calling you an alumnus.

Hey FOT is Clem Haskins coaching? Let me know if he is. The fact is Cal is coaching even though he's a cheat.

The difference is Clem was directly involved and perpetuated the violations in question and then tried to have them covered up. Calipari's been cleared in both cases and even was called an "innocent victim" in one of those cased by the head of the infractions committee at that time.

So either Calipari is some sort of criminal mastermind, able to elude the massive efforts of the NCAA and the rival coaches to bring him down, or he's just guilty of the circumstances of modern basketball. Much like Coach K, Roy Williams, Lute Olsen, Jim Calhoun etc, etc, etc.

Thou shall not get caught!

The difference is that Clem violated the 11th commandment whereas Calipari so far has not.

Even if that is a real response from MT (which I doubt), what is he supposed to say, sounds great? His response is more of a, yea I have no idea what you are talking about.

I'd vote for this option.

You'd be wrong.

If you want the narrative crafted for you go ahead and take it. That's the reason John Wooden is a saint, Jerry Tarkanian the devil, Bob Knight represented integrity and Duke does it "the right way".

Kids at Minnesota get something on the side too and Tubby knows about it. Tubby got something on the side too when he played at High Point. No, it's not bags of cash or brand new cars (because that's how the stupid ones get caught) but it's as simple as a few hundred dollars for some new jeans or to take a girl out to a movie. During the summer, you'll get an "internship" for some company that's affiliated with your university. You'll get 20 bucks an hour to walk around, throw some mail in a cart and smile for pictures. And the NCAA knows about it to and it's all perfectly "legal" because not all the "internships" are reserved for athletes. A few just happen to slot themselves in each summer.

You'll find all that just as true at Minnesota as you will pretty much every place else on the major landscape of college basketball and football. I won't even get into the agents and runners who throw themselves at these kids and their families at every opportunity. I'm not talking about the legit ones (like Dean Smith's long relationship with ProServ until Sam Perkins rocked the boat) that coaches have relationships with but the wanna be's. The two bit hustlers and con men who are looking for a piece. The kind of fools that got Marcus Camby with money and sex or plied Reggie Bush and his family with cars and free housing. Or the ones who use a connection with a famous athlete (like former Duke player Jay Williams) to help snag them up like with what happened to Kevin Love. It's those guys that get coaches and programs in trouble because the coach can't control the process at that point.

Nobody's immune to these things and every successful coach works the process to his best interests. How coaches and programs get in trouble is when they really overstep the line and make it blatant or start meddling with the academic side of things. The only real bad guys in this game are the coaches and programs who'll use a kid up and then throw him to the wolves without anything to fall back on: No education, no future, no nothing.

You'd be wrong.

If you want the narrative crafted for you go ahead and take it. That's the reason John Wooden is a saint, Jerry Tarkanian the devil, Bob Knight represented integrity and Duke does it "the right way".

Kids at Minnesota get something on the side too and Tubby knows about it. Tubby got something on the side too when he played at High Point. No, it's not bags of cash or brand new cars (because that's how the stupid ones get caught) but it's as simple as a few hundred dollars for some new jeans or to take a girl out to a movie. During the summer, you'll get an "internship" for some company that's affiliated with your university. You'll get 20 bucks an hour to walk around, throw some mail in a cart and smile for pictures. And the NCAA knows about it to and it's all perfectly "legal" because not all the "internships" are reserved for athletes. A few just happen to slot themselves in each summer.

You'll find all that just as true at Minnesota as you will pretty much every place else on the major landscape of college basketball and football. I won't even get into the agents and runners who throw themselves at these kids and their families at every opportunity. I'm not talking about the legit ones (like Dean Smith's long relationship with ProServ until Sam Perkins rocked the boat) that coaches have relationships with but the wanna be's. The two bit hustlers and con men who are looking for a piece. The kind of fools that got Marcus Camby with money and sex or plied Reggie Bush and his family with cars and free housing. Or the ones who use a connection with a famous athlete (like former Duke player Jay Williams) to help snag them up like with what happened to Kevin Love. It's those guys that get coaches and programs in trouble because the coach can't control the process at that point.

Nobody's immune to these things and every successful coach works the process to his best interests. How coaches and programs get in trouble is when they really overstep the line and make it blatant or start meddling with the academic side of things. The only real bad guys in this game are the coaches and programs who'll use a kid up and then throw him to the wolves without anything to fall back on: No education, no future, no nothing.

Baloney. Tubby got $0 extra at High Point. He lived in the garage at the home of his backcourt teammate Joe "Buck" Colbert there. Joe Buck shared his meager allowance $ with Tubby.

Baloney. Tubby got $0 extra at High Point. He lived in the garage at the home of his backcourt teammate Joe "Buck" Colbert there. Joe Buck shared his meager allowance $ with Tubby.

And back to you...can you post a link?

You'd be wrong.

You're a tool. You think everyone else is naive, you're just paranoid. The only kids who get anything are the Reggie Bush types. Where boosters and marketing firms pump money into them. The boosters are often the types with too much money and the ones that love the school too much and want to be connected, so they try to go around the Coach and help land a player. The marketing firms say hey, drive this car, live in this house, but just sign with us when you go pro.

95% of the other kids are toeing the line. I remember meeting Charles Thomas (this was in 1996, or around then) and he was at a basketball camp signing autographs (along with Chad Kolander) for all the kids. I asked him why he came out to camp that day and he said, "honestly, this is better than working, flipping burgers from 8 to 5 everyday." The kid was working at a freaking Burger joint in the summer. I really doubt Clem "hooked him up" with that job. He transfered the next year.

Lots of kids have to work there way through and get nothing in return besides what the NCAA grants.

"The Truth" ...SMH.

I've been unable to find any NCAA violations by Calipari. Can you post a link?

I have a question for you. Do you consider Tubby to be the face of Minnesota basketball or Coach K at Duke? If so then you'd have to say that whatever happens under their regime is on them.

Cal was the face of UMass, Memphis, and now UK and is the only head coach to have a Final Four appearance vacated at more than one school.

Even if a coach is not personally indicted the wrongs that go on at a school are on them.

No - I worked with Joe Buck for 8 years (1994 - 2002).

What a donkey U R.

I was looking for some clarification to your statement. Unfortunately your fake name does not come with a full biography of you.

And frankly, you don't know me well enough to call me a donkey or any other name.

You're a tool. You think everyone else is naive, you're just paranoid. The only kids who get anything are the Reggie Bush types. Where boosters and marketing firms pump money into them. The boosters are often the types with too much money and the ones that love the school too much and want to be connected, so they try to go around the Coach and help land a player. The marketing firms say hey, drive this car, live in this house, but just sign with us when you go pro.

95% of the other kids are toeing the line. I remember meeting Charles Thomas (this was in 1996, or around then) and he was at a basketball camp signing autographs (along with Chad Kolander) for all the kids. I asked him why he came out to camp that day and he said, "honestly, this is better than working, flipping burgers from 8 to 5 everyday." The kid was working at a freaking Burger joint in the summer. I really doubt Clem "hooked him up" with that job. He transfered the next year.

Lots of kids have to work there way through and get nothing in return besides what the NCAA grants.

"The Truth" ...SMH.

+1

Top Bottom