Fred Hoiberg is new ISU coach!

awesome! I love the Mayor. He probably figured it was good time to get out of that ticking time bomb called the T-Wolves front office.

he was a terrible nba executive, so i don't know how good he will be at building a college team.

and anyone who thinks the first statement isn't true, LOOK AT THE T-PUPPIES right now.

I like the hire myself. They already call him The Mayor in Ames anyway.

If he brings them even close to a respectable/competitive team in the next few years, he'll never have to pay for a thing in that city the rest of his life.

In fairness to the Mayor, he never had final decision power in the T-Wolves front office.

Yeah, I'm not sure how anyone could quantify his work as terrible.

he was a terrible nba executive, so i don't know how good he will be at building a college team.

and anyone who thinks the first statement isn't true, LOOK AT THE T-PUPPIES right now.

Not your best work. Better luck on your next post.

just look at the facts bud....

Are you blaming the Timberwolves being bad on Fred Hoiberg? I guess I don't really follow them very closely, but I always thought Kevin McHale deserved most of the blame.

Edit: Not trying to hate on McHale. I realize he was a very good player for the Gophers back in the day and I respect him for that.

Are you blaming the Timberwolves being bad on Fred Hoiberg? I guess I don't really follow them very closely, but I always thought Kevin McHale deserved most of the blame.

Edit: Not trying to hate on McHale. I realize he was a very good player for the Gophers back in the day and I respect him for that.

he is to blame too, that is a fact

Fred Hoiberg

might have done well if he were in control of the T-Wolves...he has character and is well worth the gamble for the Cyclones. Best of luck to the mayor!!

What with the Pups is all Hoiberg's fault? not calling you a liar, I just don't know much about his decisions with the T-Wolves.

How is that a fact? He wasn't the GM making all the decisions. That just doesn't make sense man

he helped make decisions, he was vice president of basketball operations starting in 2007, we are the worst team in basketball over that time. I'm not saying it is all his fault, but it is a big chunk of his fault. Everyone likes to overreact here, all i was saying was he helped build a terrible nba team so he might build a bad team in college too.

How much control do you think he had?

re: Hoiberg

Absolutely had a big part in the Wolves personnel moves. Therefore, you can rightly say he did a brutal job with the Wolves. Just because he's a likeable guy doesn't mean he knew what he was doing.

I found it amazing no one ever criticized his work with the Pups. Maybe he'll be better as a college coach but I doubt it. Especially at ISU in the Big 12.

The Mayor is an easy guy to like. Everything I've heard is he's a truly quality individual. I hope it works out for him & ISU. If he gets the ISU program back to where it's been in the past, he'll no longer be The Mayor of Ames, he'll be The President of Iowa. Will be an interesting dynamic to see how the programs of Hoiberg and Fran McCaffrey progress.

Absolutely had a big part in the Wolves personnel moves. Therefore, you can rightly say he did a brutal job with the Wolves. Just because he's a likeable guy doesn't mean he knew what he was doing.

I found it amazing no one ever criticized his work with the Pups. Maybe he'll be better as a college coach but I doubt it. Especially at ISU in the Big 12.

Agree with most of this. Hoiberg deserves blame, but most of it is still on McHale and Taylor. Everyone in the McHale era (with the Wolves) needs to go. Taylor should be next.

I do think Hoiberg will be a very solid college guy though. Good hire imo.

I think you are 100% wrong on this. It was after Fred got into the front office that the Wolves started making some hard decisions with the future in mind. I think he was key to the Wolves unloading bad contracts and acquiring assets, beginning near the end of McHale's tenure.

It doesn't show on the court yet, but this year they have:
1. A top-5 draft pick with a near 40% chance of it being a top-2.
2. The #16 pick.
3. The #23 pick.
4. Rights to teen phenom Rickie Rubio (equivalent to a top 2-4 pick)
5. The rights to Euro-post scorer N. Pekovic (equivalent to a top 15 pick)
6. CAP SPACE!

What a huge difference from 3-4 years ago when they were over the cap and owed multiple picks.

The Mayor rocks!

I think you are 100% wrong on this. It was after Fred got into the front office that the Wolves started making some hard decisions with the future in mind. I think he was key to the Wolves unloading bad contracts and acquiring assets, beginning near the end of McHale's tenure.

It doesn't show on the court yet, but this year they have:
1. A top-5 draft pick with a near 40% chance of it being a top-2.
2. The #16 pick.
3. The #23 pick.
4. Rights to teen phenom Rickie Rubio (equivalent to a top 2-4 pick)
5. The rights to Euro-post scorer N. Pekovic (equivalent to a top 15 pick)
6. CAP SPACE!

What a huge difference from 3-4 years ago when they were over the cap and owed multiple picks.

The Mayor rocks!

Great post. He indeed has planted the seeds for success for the Wolves future.

I think Iowa State made a fantastic choice.

CBS' Parrish is right, this could be an epic fail. However, so could any other choice at this point. Oregon has a huge new BB facility and $2M to pay a coach and they land the coach from Creighton? Creighton hires our coach that has never had a winning season at ISU. Iowa' fans were initially shocked by their hire. Gillespie calls and expressed interest, but has character issues and no one was touching him this off season.

I was in shock at first and very concerned. However, it has created excitement and lifted a dark cloud over the program. I have let me emotions override my logic and I am "all in" and trust that Freddie will hire some great assistants and return the "Magic" back to Hilton. This board is a great example of how liked and well respected Fred is and everyone wants him to suceed.

Go Cyclones!

Top Bottom