End of the first half & the halftime show

shikenjanski

Urinal Donor
Reaction score
(1) How about that pass from Nolen to Carter for the flush right at the end of the first half? How many times have we squandered the final possession of the half and gone into the locker room flat? IT WAS PURE JOY to hear the Barn as loud as it was going into the halftime break.

I could not have been happier to see Paul Carter put it all together today. He had a great afternoon and he showcased an impressive set of skills out there. He had a couple great put-backs on the offensive glass today that must have impressed Tubby.

(2) As for the half-time show, why did they run all of those former Gophers out there and not introduce them? Was that not a bit awkward? I wanted to give a hoot and a holler to my main man Jim (the original) Shikenjanski. Willie Burton showed up and we didn't get the chance to honor him with a "Thank You" from the crowd. (Maybe the old-timers here on the board can let me know who showed up from the 60' & 70's teams???)

That was the disapointing part...

of the afternoon, no intros for the players. Clearly a missed oppertunity. I would have loved to see Willie give that big smile and pump his fists a few times for old-times sake. I'm not gonna bitch after a nice win like today, but it should have been handled with more respect.

I thought the same thing about the halftime bit. Everyone around me was mad they didn't introduce the players individually. Poor planning on the athletic departments part.

I couldn't agree more about the halftime alumni introductions. We had a similar event a year or two ago and they didn't announce them either and I e-mailed marketing and they apologized and said it wouldn't happen again and that it was an oversight....well, it happened again. Must be the same oversight. Willie came back for the first time in a decade and he got a half ass reception as did the other 60 former Gophers. When we had the 82 BT Champs team back last year or the year before we announced the names but that was it. I guess I am a bit spoiled having attended so many KU games where they appropriately recognize their alumni. It's really a missed opportunity which is a shame.

As far as the game - today was a blast. It was so fun watching Carter and Bostick have big break out games and for Sampson to put some nice plays together as well. Our defense was fantastic.

15-1 is fun.

Go Gophers!!

Ditto on the halftime intros - Name each player - they had plenty of time!

You all are forgetting the necessity of having the dance team perform as well during halftime!!! With them performing there was no time for individual player introductions. (Please note I am saying this tongue in cheek)

Our group was also disappointed that there were no introductions as well. Seemed like a no brainer to me but then again you are dealing with University of Minnesota marketing. Great to see Willie back at the barn! My favorite player from my favorite all time team, the 1989-90 squad.

Ditto for me on this post as well. To have all of those players, particularly the players from the 40s, 50s, and 60s out there, and not get their due is pretty tactless. I will be e-mailing the promotions department about this.

Then again, I'm not at all surprised. Rarely have I seen a promotions department that appears to be as inept as the ones running Gopher athletics. They seem to be good people, but have no idea what they're doing...

When they started running the names on the scoreboard, I knew that once again, promotions screwed up. Pretty tacky. They went from having a great halftime event to completely embarrassing themselves. Our athletic dept often looks more MIAC than Big Ten when it comes to these types of things. Other than the alumni mistakes, great day at the Barn!

Ditto about the intros. Great opportunity to connect with these players and recognize them, so what do we do...squander the opportunity once again. Unfortunately, it does seem like typical U of M fashion. Did they also have the DISH-sitting in the chair-basket shooting contest at halftime? Always trying to make a buck....

I'll add a ditto as well. I couldn't believe they whisked them off. I saw some names on the screen that I didn't even a chance to look for before they were gone. A name and a wave. How hard is that?

I did not attend the game, but did watch it on TV. Somehow I'm not surprised by the athletice department's blunder--just one of many that I have heard of or witnessed myself. Kind of makes me embarrased to be an alum and season ticket holder (football).

Another vote for a missed opportunity. Lets send the thread to the A.D. for whatever its worth.

That pass to Carter at the bell was just sick. He could have had an and-1 as well, but I don't think anyone was complaining.

Today's halftime was a disgrace. I recognized a few guys (Hagen, Tollackson, Flip, ARod) but having absolutely no introductions was hideous. Typical U of M.

Complain to the Mktng Dept and the AD -- links here

This was the most ineffective and awkward "recognitions" I've ever seen. But simply grousing about it here won't bring about change.

You can leave a comment directly to the marketing department at this link and you can e-mail Joel Maturi at [email protected]. I've done both and would recommend others do the same ...

(Not sure if sending a comment to the Marketing Dept or an e-mail to Maturi will cause change either but the chances are better! ;))

I did not attend the game, but did watch it on TV. Somehow I'm not surprised by the athletice department's blunder--just one of many that I have heard of or witnessed myself. Kind of makes me embarrased to be an alum and season ticket holder (football).

I'm not surprised either - this reminds me of the way our Big 10 Championship team was honored...at a time-out. I just think, in general, we do a horrible job of honoring former players. These guys gave years of their life to Gopher Basketball, the least they deserve is having their name announced.

Top Bottom