New Siebert Field

Thanks for the Link!!

Will be interesting to see if this project moves faster or slower than the Saints new ballpark.....

I have been thinking more and more that Midway stadium would have been a better temporary home for the Gophers than the Dome. It is practically on the St. Paul Campus.... then again Midway is no gem of a diamond either.

Love the design of the new park. Small, close to the action. On the other side of the center field fence it looks like there is a play for kids to play. Going off the drawing it looks like people would enter on the concourse level and the concourse is open to the field. There seems to be a pressbox with what looks like a large party suite on the first base side. Down the first base line it looks like there is a club space or somthing along those lines-perhaps offices for coaches, support staff etc. Hard to tell if there is the same thing on the third base line with the trees in the way.

It appears that the new field has been moved a little to what I think is the east and maybe a little south along with the track being moved also to where the band practice field now is. This could be done to add on the the amount of practice space the football team has. There is also a plaza behind the right field wall with a sideway going back towards Ridder sound like a great place to honor some of the all time great baseball players from the U. Someone should check my directions here but I'm pretty sure I'm correct.

This wouldn't be my first choice to build the new ballpark, personally I would like to see it right across for Mariucci Arena. I believe it is parking lot now but there is kind a strange spot where 5th, 6th, and Oak Street meet right next to the Lions Research Building that would be a great spot for a ballpark.

As for a new Saints ballpark, it will be interesting to see how it develops. I think a great location would be across the Mississippi from downtown St. Paul between the Wabasha and Roberts Street bridges.

Your directions look correct. I don't think there is enough room to build a new park across from Mariucci though, with the RR track right there, it'd probably be impossible. Also, I doubt they'd be willing to give up that prime parking lot that is perfect for all sporting events and tailgating...

This wouldn't be my first choice to build the new ballpark, personally I would like to see it right across for Mariucci Arena. I believe it is parking lot now but there is kind a strange spot where 5th, 6th, and Oak Street meet right next to the Lions Research Building that would be a great spot for a ballpark.

As for a new Saints ballpark, it will be interesting to see how it develops. I think a great location would be across the Mississippi from downtown St. Paul between the Wabasha and Roberts Street bridges.

You can forget about that location for a new gophers ballpark. Its all slated for future research buildings and a new giant parking ramp. See the attachment picture of full build-out of the Biomedical Discovery District, from the UofM master plan.

And the new Saints ballpark, if everything goes the Saints way, is in Lowertown next to the Farmer's market.

http://ballparkfansandfriends.org/site/

Attachments

• Eastgatewaydistrict.jpg
    Eastgatewaydistrict.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 29

You can forget about that location for a new gophers ballpark. Its all slated for future research buildings and a new giant parking ramp. See the attachment picture of full build-out of the Biomedical Discovery District, from the UofM master plan.

And the new Saints ballpark, if everything goes the Saints way, is in Lowertown next to the Farmer's market.

http://ballparkfansandfriends.org/site/

Research building are a great use of space but come on a parking ramp. Whatever happened to walking. Also it makes you healthly as a bonus.

Not a terrible place for a ballpark but the main reason is because of the view of downtown.

Does anyone know if they've looked into keeping the field but just replacing the stands, lockerrooms, etc.? I know when I've played there the field was absolutely perfect: completely flat across the entire thing, and beautiful green grass. Maybe it's changed since then but it would almost be a shame to replace a field like that with artificial turf when the only thing that's in rough shape are the grandstands, dugouts, etc. etc. Seems like they could save money and end up with a product that is just as good or better.

Does anyone know if they've looked into keeping the field but just replacing the stands, lockerrooms, etc.? I know when I've played there the field was absolutely perfect: completely flat across the entire thing, and beautiful green grass. Maybe it's changed since then but it would almost be a shame to replace a field like that with artificial turf when the only thing that's in rough shape are the grandstands, dugouts, etc. etc. Seems like they could save money and end up with a product that is just as good or better.

I read it will be artificial turf.

Turf Field

John Anderson has been pretty consistent in the desire to have an artificial turf field. When you consider that the Dome as an early season option will be soon be gone, having a turf field that's ready as soon as the snow melts will be extremely helpful. The product has gotten so much better over the years as well. Some fields have no dirt except the pitcher's mound.

http://www.fieldturf.com/baseball-turf/

Even in the south (Louisville & Texas) it seems as though more teams are going this direction in college baseball. It also provides the ability to generate more use through intramurals, high schools, etc.

Love the design of the new park. Small, close to the action. On the other side of the center field fence it looks like there is a play for kids to play. Going off the drawing it looks like people would enter on the concourse level and the concourse is open to the field. There seems to be a pressbox with what looks like a large party suite on the first base side. Down the first base line it looks like there is a club space or somthing along those lines-perhaps offices for coaches, support staff etc. Hard to tell if there is the same thing on the third base line with the trees in the way.

It appears that the new field has been moved a little to what I think is the east and maybe a little south along with the track being moved also to where the band practice field now is. This could be done to add on the the amount of practice space the football team has. There is also a plaza behind the right field wall with a sideway going back towards Ridder sound like a great place to honor some of the all time great baseball players from the U. Someone should check my directions here but I'm pretty sure I'm correct.

The field behind center field is supposed to be the women's softball stadium. I think everything that's already built is staying put (no expansion for football practice field or moving the track), but they just want to push the new playing field more onto the current intramural fields. The new baseball buildings/facilites would then fill in the space next to the football practice field on the land where the current first base line begins.

The field behind center field is supposed to be the women's softball stadium. I think everything that's already built is staying put (no expansion for football practice field or moving the track), but they just want to push the new playing field more onto the current intramural fields. The new baseball buildings/facilites would then fill in the space next to the football practice field on the land where the current first base line begins.

Did you even look at the picture? There is clearly a grass play area behind left center field wall. I can be wrong about the extra football practice field and i could be wrong about the new track and field. But you are right on one thing there the softball field behind the center field fence.

Top Bottom