Big Ten title.

gophersfan

Reaction score
do we have a shot, if we can some how win in Madison wow. this could be our year. if not this year. we will win it next year book it.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here, do NOT even mention BT Title. A lot of games to be played. The Gophers proved today...do NOT take us lightly, and as a result, our PUPS have to be ready for each and every game, one game at a time.

our schedule is gonna start getting very tough..road games in madison, evanston, w. layfeyette coming soon...

if we can sneak out some games on the road, then MAYBE we MIGHT have a CHANCE.

id take top 3 right now

I don't think we play in West Lafayette this year... pretty sure they only come here.

Just make the big dance with a respectable seed this year. Worry about title talk next year when this team will be even better.

Actully the Gophers do not play in W Lafayette this year which is a huge plus for them. It's not easy to come out of Mackey with a W(3 teams in the past 2 years Wofford last year, Duke and UI this year so far).

But as the Big Ten goes I think 3 loss wins the title for sure. 4 L's would most likely atleast tie for the title, maybe outright. I wouldn't be shock if 5 L's caused about a 3-4 split of the title.

If I had to guess a few teams split the title with 4 L's. So the Gopher have a legit shot, along with about half the other teams (U of M, UW, UI(I think they can be that good) MSU, Michigan, Purdue, OSU) Overall it is a very balanced conference this year

We only play Purdue once, and it's coming up on January 20 here at the Barn. It's a scheduling break this year, to be sure.

Title talk is crazy and premature. We play 3 freshmen extensively, three sophomores and a JC transfer junior. There will almost assuredly be a point in the season where they run into a wall. If we escape the B10 season with 5 losses or less it will be an amazing season and point to a big level of expectations for next year.

Can we please cancel this thread and talk about BT title, where and what and how and when, etc. and concentrate only on going to Wiskey and get a win at a very very tough place. We need to let each game, one at a time, get us to where we will be in the future. What happens, happens. The PUPS determine their path. One game at a time, my friends.

help a brother out.

so if a team ends the regular season with the best record in the BT, would that be considered a BT title, or do you have to win the tournament? because as lance armstrong once said "anyone can win the big ten tourney, well not anyone, but a lot of teams".

Can we please cancel this thread and talk about BT title, where and what and how and when, etc. and concentrate only on going to Wiskey and get a win at a very very tough place. We need to let each game, one at a time, get us to where we will be in the future. What happens, happens. The PUPS determine their path. One game at a time, my friends.

I don't understand statements like this. Why can't we talk about a Big 10 title? It adds to the discussion. We can get ahead of ourselves. The players should be taking games one game at a time. The fans don't need to concentrate on only one thing because we aren't the ones playing. This stuff adds to the discussion and makes things a little more enjoyable and interesting.

Sorry Boon...I only want to look ahead one game at a time. That is me, ok?My opinion only. But I guess I do not get to express the way I feel about BT Title talk. I feel it is way too early. Sorry man.

Sorry Boon...I only want to look ahead one game at a time. That is me, ok?My opinion only. But I guess I do not get to express the way I feel about BT Title talk. I feel it is way too early. Sorry man.

Doc, your opinion is completely valid. If you want to focus on one game at a time, that is fine. The great part about being a fan is that we don't HAVE to focus on one game. If you want to, that is fine by me. I'm more of a 'what if...' type of person. Obviously, the original poster wanted to talk about a BT title. If you don't want to, don't click on the thread.

Just because you don't want to talk about our BT title chances doesn't mean that it can't be discussed. Just don't try and force people not to talk about something because you don't want to talk about it. It's a bit hypocritical to rip someone for expressing their feeling towards a BT title and then you get upset when someone challenges your feelings. Not trying to rip you because you seem like a Gopher fan and a good poster :)

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here, do NOT even mention BT Title. A lot of games to be played. The Gophers proved today...do NOT take us lightly, and as a result, our PUPS have to be ready for each and every game, one game at a time.

ugggghhhh, PUPS again, Don? What's up with that? LOL

ugggghhhh, PUPS again, Don? What's up with that? LOL
It's better than "KITTIES" I guess. ;)

As part of the fund-raising strategies for G'hole, I think we should be assessed a fee anytime we use more than one exclamation mark. Way too much band-width! :cool:

getting back to the original question...

... of whether we have a "shot" at the B10 Title:

Not much of a shot. I think MSU is the odds-on favorite (unless there are major injuries or other personnel problems). But I think we have a good shot at finishing in the top four which far exceeds my pre-season expectations.

Still seeing losses at: Wisc, NW (or Penn St but not both), Mich St, Mich, Ohio St, Ill, and probably (not if they play as they did yesterday) one more home loss...for a total of 8 losses.

I think we'll wind up with at least 5-6 conference losses, but we could actually be the pre-season favorite in two years if we can hang onto everyone.

Just remember, 7 of our next 10 are on the road, and we have played very poorly on the road so far this season, against Colorado state and Iowa. We we're able to win, but if we play like that against most of the Big Ten, we won't survive.

Just remember, 7 of our next 10 are on the road.

On the bright side though 3 out of the next 4 are very winnable games for us.

I think it's fun to talk about a Big 10 title - maybe next year. This year is getting a bit ahead of ourselves.

From an outsider's perspective, the B10 title talk by the fans is perfectly legitimate. Anyone can dream, IMHO.

Relevant to the discussion, however, is another thing that makes Coach Smith such a good coach is they way he speaks to the media and, thus, the fans. I think he strikes a great balance between talking up the team too much (like Coach Brewster and his promises of B10 titles and his 'get your dad gum chili hot' quotes) and denegrating his team (like Lou Holtz used to do). He just talks about the game that was just played and the next game on the schedule. He doesn't talk much about games far out in the schedule or 'what will it be like if you are 4/5/6/7/8/9-1 whatever when you go to wherever to play whoever. That has to resonate well with the team.

Again, just my outsider observations.

Closed circuit to Dr. Don: It's ok to sit out a thread if you don't have anything interesting to add. Saying the same things repeatedly and squelching discussion fall under this category.

As far as the Gophers' standing in the Big Ten, they're still a tough team to place. MSU is looking like the class of the league, with the Gophers, Purdue, Wisky, Michigan & Illinois filling in the next 5 spots in no particular order. Big L makes a good point that we haven't really had a quality road opponent and have struggled a bit anyways. Thursday in Madison will tell us much.

I think we'll wind up with at least 5-6 conference losses, but we could actually be the pre-season favorite in two years if we can hang onto everyone.

I'm with you on this year, and of course it's ridiculously early, but who, assuming we hang on to everyone, do you think will be pre-season Big Ten favorite next year?

Top Bottom