Backup Plan for RW and Mbakwe

Go Gophs eh?

Reaction score
Bryant Allen did it. So why to can't 6'6" 260 lbs. Ra'Shade Hageman be the gophers next football/basketball walk on? I remember watching him in the state tourney last year and he was as dominate a PF i have seen in Minnesota. Think draymond green except way bigger and way tougher. :clap:

Oh wait, I just checked the roster from yesterday's spring football game, he is listed as 292 lbs. :)

Find something you are good at, and focus on that. His future is in football.

It isn't going to happen.

Find something you are good at, and focus on that. His future is in football.

It isn't going to happen.

Not true, look at Tony Gonzalez, started playing bball in college, went to the nfl as an all time great, or maybe Everette Pedescealx or however you spell it, Played football and basketball for the U for a year before moving to UNI and last year was taken in the NFL draft by the broncos. What i'm saying is plenty of people focused on both sports and the lesser one got them into the pros. This could happen again for Hageman, not that he would be a pro basketball player, but he could excel at the U in both sports. Do you have any better suggestions on someone who would quickly take trevor's spot if needed? I mean any U students? because signing is over when his case is decided, so either get someone to walk-on or wait a year to fill the spot.

I think it's interesting that it's acceptable for a football player to play half a season of basketball. When, if ever, did a basketball player on scholarship play half a season of football before leaving to play basketball. I get why that's probably not realistic but let's not pin too much hope on football players saving our basketball program.

I would think Tubby's backup plan would focus on bringing in a scholarship player who can help the team all year rather than waiting for a football player to finish the season and join them in December. Hageman can always join the team later on as Allen did last year.

Our roster is set. Depth is needed but at this point, we should focus on solid high major hoop recruits. If that means banking for next year, so be it. Devoe can play point in 2011..which he will embrace if he wants a chance to play at the next level (whereever that may be). IF Cobbs stays, we have a backup for 2011 as well.

If no blue chippers are available and it appears they are not, I think we should just start hunting for the 2011-2012 class. Hit it big with that class and we will be fine.

I agree that Hageman is a good basketball player, but just because you're good at two sports doesn't mean you're going to want to play both in college. It is a LOT of work. Some people like Bryant Allen love each sport enough to play both, but some people, even if they love both, would rather focus on one sport that they have the best chance at going pro in. Hageman will not be in the NBA, but I will go out on a limb (sort of) and say he will be in the NFL. It is in his best interest to stick to football only.

Did someone just compare Rashede Hageman to Draymond Green as a basketball player?

Funny.

I think it's interesting that it's acceptable for a football player to play half a season of basketball. When, if ever, did a basketball player on scholarship play half a season of football before leaving to play basketball. I get why that's probably not realistic but let's not pin too much hope on football players saving our basketball program.

You don't see the situation in reverse (football player leaving mid-season to play hoops) because the football program, by NCAA rule, supplies the scholarship for players doing the football-plus-another-sport thing. As a result of having to use one of its scholarships, the football program holds the power in which sport an individual plays during the overlap of the two seasons. There are other practical reasons as well, but this is the major one.

In addition, as the football season is first, it is highly likely that a BB player could get injured and never hit the basketball court and fulfill their season. If a football player gets injured playing BB, they've time to heal before their season

How about Aaron Daniels for someone that goes to the U that could play basketball?

Top Bottom