ESPN says Dana Altman to Oregon

Yeah, I seen right around 2 mil a year, I'll try to find the post. (sorry I didn't see your post earlier or I would have replied quicker)

Yeah, I seen right around 2 mil a year, I'll try to find the post. (sorry I didn't see your post earlier or I would have replied quicker)

Thanks. I kind of figured it was going to be somewhere in that range, since Oregon had said it was willing to pay that much or more, depending on who was hired. That's a nice contract for Altman, who was making somewhere around $1 million per season at Creighton.

And, I found this article in the Omaha World-Herald that reports that Altman's salary was $1,130,000 in 2007, so he was probably making significantly more than that by now. I don't think there are many jobs in this country that are considered "mid-major" that are better than Creighton. For a coach to be able to make that type of salary, while playing in a state-of-the-art arena in front of average crowds of 16,000 is pretty impressive.

Altman's Potential Replacements at Creighton

Right time for Altman to move. His program at Creighton had gone stale since his flirtation with Arkansas.

Right time for Altman to move. His program at Creighton had gone stale since his flirtation with Arkansas.

Yeah, you're right about that. Apparently, the job has already been offered to Iowa State's Greg McDermott, and he will make his decision today.

I love the following, taken from a story at OregonLive.com:

Meanwhile, back at Creighton, athletic director Bruce Rasmussen is searching frantically for a new coach.

“I'd like if it were done now,'' Rasmussen said. "I wanted it done yesterday. It can't take a lot of time.

“It took Oregon 30 days to find their new coach. If it takes me 30 days, my next question I'll be asking is whether you want fries with that Big Mac.''

Bruce Rasmussen is a great AD, and always provides great quotes, like that one.

This must have gone down in Wisconsin Dells. He was introduced as the Creighton head coach at 9am when he spoke at the Nike clinic. After he was done speaking I talked to him about summer camp work. He gave me the name of who runs his camps. I got back to my room at midnight and read he was coaching at Oregon. So I guess the question is, did I get hired to coach at a camp in Oregon?:)

He had to have gotten the offer when arrived I know he accepted it at the Nike clinic.

This must have gone down in Wisconsin Dells. He was introduced as the Creighton head coach at 9am when he spoke at the Nike clinic. After he was done speaking I talked to him about summer camp work. He gave me the name of who runs his camps. I got back to my room at midnight and read he was coaching at Oregon. So I guess the question is, did I get hired to coach at a camp in Oregon?:)

He had to have gotten the offer when arrived I know he accepted it at the Nike clinic.

What day are you talking about being in the Dells? He met with Oregon's ex-AD (Kilkenny), who was heading up the search committee, on Saturday in Indianapolis. Oregon offered him the job that day, and gave him 24 hours to ponder the offer. Then, yesterday, he flew to Eugene on Kilkenny's private jet, and they're going to introduce him sometime today. I'm guessing the name of the person at Creighton to contact might have been Patty Galas, is that right?

Sorry this was Saturday. The guy that introduced him was Ed Janka Nike Clinic directer. He gave me Darian DeVries, and that's whats confusing to me. If he would have given me the name and number of the Secretary that would have made sense looking back.

Sorry this was Saturday. The guy that introduced him was Ed Janka Nike Clinic directer. He gave me Darian DeVries, and that's whats confusing to me. If he would have given me the name and number of the Secretary that would have made sense looking back.

But still, I'm confused. Was Dana Altman in the Wisconsin Dells on Saturday?! And, yeah, I guess you might be working the new coach at Creighton's summer camp, unless Dana Altman has you come out to Eugene.

But still, I'm confused. Was Dana Altman in the Wisconsin Dells on Saturday?! And, yeah, I guess you might be working the new coach at Creighton's summer camp, unless Dana Altman has you come out to Eugene.

Yes Altman was in the dells at 9am till at least noon. I know he was their for most of Frank Martins presentation. I spoke to him about 11:45 right after he finished talking about his zone offense. I asked him about transition defense out of his offense, and then quickly about who to call about camp work.

I've learned that the head coaches never have any idea if they need help or not. So i just ask them who to call. He gave me the name of his lead assistant. At the time I thought that was odd because it's normally someone more down the the chain, but Don Meyer had his lead assistant run his camps also.

The question that I keep coming back to is, did he have an offer that morning when he got to the clinic?

Yes Altman was in the dells at 9am till at least noon. I know he was their for most of Frank Martins presentation. I spoke to him about 11:45 right after he finished talking about his zone offense. I asked him about transition defense out of his offense, and then quickly about who to call about camp work.

I've learned that the head coaches never have any idea if they need help or not. So i just ask them who to call. He gave me the name of his lead assistant. At the time I thought that was odd because it's normally someone more down the the chain, but Don Meyer had his lead assistant run his camps also.

The question that I keep coming back to is, did he have an offer that morning when he got to the clinic?

That's interesting, because it pretty much shoots down all the media reports I've read about the timing of everything that took place. They all claim that Kilkenny and Altman met in Indianapolis on Saturday morning, when obviously that wasn't possible. Perhaps they met Friday night in Indy, and then Altman went to the clinic in the Dells, or I suppose he could have gone from the Dells to Indy, too. That's probably more likely.

Where do you coach?

That's interesting, because it pretty much shoots down all the media reports I've read about the timing of everything that took place. They all claim that Kilkenny and Altman met in Indianapolis on Saturday morning, when obviously that wasn't possible. Perhaps they met Friday night in Indy, and then Altman went to the clinic in the Dells, or I suppose he could have gone from the Dells to Indy, too. That's probably more likely.

Where do you coach?

It's possible he was in Indy Friday night, worked out the offer and they flew him into Madison. But then they had to have worked it out at like 6:30 am. But it's more likely they worked out the offer that afternoon. Because if he was sure he wasn't coming back to Creighton then I would think he would have just given me the office number and told me to call on Monday. Unless he's not taking his coaches with him and I guess that is possible.

Either way he's their coach now, people here in Omaha have been uneasy with him since he came back after 28 hours in the SEC. The people here seem to think it will be easy to find a better coach but I'm not so sure.

I thought for sure they'd call Tim Miles he already out recruits Nebraska in Nebraska and he has strong ties in Wisconsin, and Iowa. I'd think Creighton is a better job than Colorado State but maybe I'm to close to this.

For Dana I think the last straw for him was the 08-09 season. 25-6 and a bid for the NIT. I forget how many people the Quest Center seats but I think it's like 17k and they sell a lot of tickets. So the AD needs them to play mostly home games. No one is coming to Omaha unless they have too. So every year you have a weak non conference and miss the NCAA with 25 wins. I remember Dana mad at the end of the year, and Doc 1/2 dead at the end. Doc worked his butt off to get those kids to 18 wins. You could tell he was ready for that season to be over.

As for me I'm a nobody I go to college here at an NAIA school. I will be a coach some day but right now I have to beg Dana Altman for a four day camp job.

It's possible he was in Indy Friday night, worked out the offer and they flew him into Madison. But then they had to have worked it out at like 6:30 am. But it's more likely they worked out the offer that afternoon. Because if he was sure he wasn't coming back to Creighton then I would think he would have just given me the office number and told me to call on Monday. Unless he's not taking his coaches with him and I guess that is possible.

Either way he's their coach now, people here in Omaha have been uneasy with him since he came back after 28 hours in the SEC. The people here seem to think it will be easy to find a better coach but I'm not so sure.

I thought for sure they'd call Tim Miles he already out recruits Nebraska in Nebraska and he has strong ties in Wisconsin, and Iowa. I'd think Creighton is a better job than Colorado State but maybe I'm to close to this.

For Dana I think the last straw for him was the 08-09 season. 25-6 and a bid for the NIT. I forget how many people the Quest Center seats but I think it's like 17k and they sell a lot of tickets. So the AD needs them to play mostly home games. No one is coming to Omaha unless they have too. So every year you have a weak non conference and miss the NCAA with 25 wins. I remember Dana mad at the end of the year, and Doc 1/2 dead at the end. Doc worked his butt off to get those kids to 18 wins. You could tell he was ready for that season to be over.

As for me I'm a nobody I go to college here at an NAIA school. I will be a coach some day but right now I have to beg Dana Altman for a four day camp job.

I just sent you a PM.

Apparently, this kid might now be on his way to Eugene after Altman was hired there. How the heck does a kid with hops like this not get signed sooner? Not sure who's more athletic, Rodney or Polee. Check the video...

Dwayne Polee

Apparently, this kid might now be on his way to Eugene after Altman was hired there. How the heck does a kid with hops like this not get signed sooner? Not sure who's more athletic, Rodney or Polee. Check the video...

Dwayne Polee

Polee is an unbelieveable athlete and very well could have a higher vertical than Rodney. I bet Rodney has more coordination in the air though and he is probably a much better basketball player too.

Top Bottom