Point Guard Play...

Reaction score
While part of our offensive success today was definitely do to some hot shooting, the other half of the equation was some GREAT point guard play from Joseph and Nolen. I thought both of them did a great job of controlling the offense, pushing at the right times (Joseph did push once when he shouldn't have...) and pulling back at the right times. They also did a great job of getting the team into their sets.

Our point guards today had a combined line of 6 points, 10 assists, 7 rebounds, 4 steals, a block, and only 2 turnovers.

A great job by two young guards!

Besides Joseph forcing those passes, He played a very good game. I thought this was the best showing from him all season long and his defense was solid.

DeVoe is going to keep getting better, which in turn will force Al to get better. How many teams have TWO PG's who can make things happen the way these two PUPS do. None that I know of. Good job by Both Al and DeVoe at PG.

And I think their style of play is different enough to be complimentary. Meaning there is a shift in the style of the offense which can be utilized to get ignite the team.
And BTW, Al once again had NO turnovers. When was his last? Perhaps thats the reason he chose 0 for his number.

Agree and remember Moonlight.... Number Zero, He's our Hero!!!!!

Devoe is fun to watch going end-to-end. I look forward to more times when he and Al are on the floor at the same time. Al's play at the end of the 1st half send chills up my spine. Big time move.

I read in an interview with Al that said he chose number 0 to represent the starting of a new life. I think he had troubles in back in high school or something in his youth.. I'm not too sure.

I read in an interview with Al that said he chose number 0 to represent the starting of a new life. I think he had troubles in back in high school or something in his youth.. I'm not too sure.

As I recall, the "troubles" in high school had to do with three things:

1. High school coach (Larry McKenzie) leaving the team prior to the start of bball season Nolen's senior year.
2. Monson leaving the Gophers about a month after Nolen signed his LOI.
3. Loss of academic focus as a result of the previous two events (and I'm guessing a little "senioritis").

Being a member of a team lead by Tubby Smith and Co. has definitely given Nolen "a new life" both athletically and academically and the Gophers are a better team as a result, IMHO.

Top Bottom