Player frustration with Maturi

GopherFish

Reaction score
I seem to recall some chatter there may have been some frustration with Maturi by some of the players on the team. Not just by Royce and Trevor, but some others too. I can't repeat the epithet that seemed to be hurled Maturi's way as this is a family website :) I wonder how deep seated the animosity towards Maturi is and if Maturi's presence hurts the program.

I've never been a fan of Maturi and hope he is gone this year.

I seem to recall some chatter there may have been some frustration with Maturi by some of the players on the team. Not just by Royce and Trevor, but some others too. I can't repeat the epithet that seemed to be hurled Maturi's way as this is a family website :) I wonder how deep seated the animosity towards Maturi is and if Maturi's presence hurts the program.

I've never been a fan of Maturi and hope he is gone this year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't hold your breath, Fish. In order to fire Maturi, the U is going to have to first fire Kathyrn F. Brown, the Vice President & Chief of Staff. She is Maturi's boss and by all accounts really likes the job Joel is doing. And like most manager's she no doubt has had substantial input on many of the decisions for which Maturi gets criticized in GopherHole.

I could be wrong about this, but I don't think that the U usually relies on the advice of Gopher athletes to make employee hiring and firing decisions.

U of M Administration

President Robert H Bruininks

Academic Affairs
Academic Health Center
Audit, Internal
Development/UM Foundation
Eastcliff
Equity & Diversity
General Counsel
Human Resources
Information Technology
Research
Scholarly & Cultural Affairs
Statewide Strategic Resource Development
System Academic Administration
University of Minnesota, Crookston
University of Minnesota, Duluth
University of Minnesota, Morris
University of Minnesota, Rochester
University Relations
University Services
Vice President & Chief Financial Officer
Vice President & Chief of Staff

Vice President & Chief of Staff Kathryn F Brown

Athletics, Intercollegiate
Institutional Compliance Office
University Senate

..President Robert H Bruininks---- Kathryn F Brown---Joel Maturi
show a lack of real commitment to revenue producing sports from the top down and is
the reason Minnesota will always be a mediocre athletic institution. Look at what mark Youdoff...
has done for texas...Look at Big Ten schools such as Wisconsin and Ohio State..Do you think it is by coincidence they are higher ranked in both Athletics and in the academic areas they choose to focus on? The U of M tries to be all things to all people which breeds mediocrity.

Ban me if you want for my opinion but the U of M has a national perception as being a Mediocre University Would you trade a chance for a championship in Basketball and football for womens rowing and volleyball? I would.....

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/Rankings2009-Top200.html

show a lack of real commitment to revenue producing sports from the top down and is
the reason Minnesota will always be a mediocre athletic institution. Look at what mark Youdoff...
has done for texas...Look at Big Ten schools such as Wisconsin and Ohio State..Do you think it is by coincidence they are higher ranked in both Athletics and in the academic areas they choose to focus on? The U of M tries to be all things to all people which breeds mediocrity.

Ban me if you want for my opinion but the U of M has a national perception as being a Mediocre University Would you trade a chance for a championship in Basketball and football for womens rowing and volleyball? I would.....

Last I saw, Gophers ranked 7th (best) overall among Div I schools in athletic successes.

Last I saw, Gophers ranked 7th (best) overall among Div I schools in athletic successes.

oh really. well tbh its great and all that the womens rowing team and the volleyball teams are doing so well, but if the U wants to continue to be able to fund said endeavors, they need to put more effort into the sports that actually matter, i.e. football and basketball, to start raking in the revenue. Otherwise they will cease to have funding for any of it, and it all goes to hell.

7th overall means *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# when basketball and football (the two sports that are the real gauges of sports prowess) are ranked in the 30-50 range (if football gets that high)

oh really. well tbh its great and all that the womens rowing team and the volleyball teams are doing so well, but if the U wants to continue to be able to fund said endeavors, they need to put more effort into the sports that actually matter, i.e. football and basketball, to start raking in the revenue. Otherwise they will cease to have funding for any of it, and it all goes to hell.

7th overall means *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# when basketball and football (the two sports that are the real gauges of sports prowess) are ranked in the 30-50 range (if football gets that high)

Why do you think the U isn't committed to football and basketball, when in fact they are as evidenced by:
1. Football: New state of the art stadium built at the right size for fan base, and greatly increased budget for assistant coaches.
2. Basketball: Hired elite coach and planning a $25 million practice facility.

Granted, the U has a nearly 40 history of not fully supporting athletics, but they are now.

Why do you think the U isn't committed to football and basketball, when in fact they are as evidenced by:
1. Football: New state of the art stadium built at the right size for fan base, and greatly increased budget for assistant coaches.
2. Basketball: Hired elite coach and planning a $25 million practice facility.

Granted, the U has a nearly 40 history of not fully supporting athletics, but they are now.

The practice facility is planned, just like the baseball stadium has been for a long time now.

Yes, a new football stadium, but refining the program itself has yet to happen, ala getting rid of brewster and finding someone who can coach and recruit, not just someone who can recruit

... Look at what mark Youdoff...
has done for texas...

This is too funny for words. You do realize Mark Yudof was the University of Minnesota president immediately prior to Bob Bruininks, right? He did nothing for athletics while he was here. Did he have an epiphany when he went to Texas?

:)

This is too funny for words. You do realize Mark Yudof was the University of Minnesota president immediately prior to Bob Bruininks, right? He did nothing for athletics while he was here. Did he have an epiphany when he went to Texas?

:)

Mark Yudof
is in California. He is the president of the entire UC system.

Thanks for your link to the top 200 World Universities.

Minnesota 105th
Ohio State 129th
Iowa - ???

Academic Ranking

Thanks for the ranking list. It is very interesting. As far as I can tell the ranking is strictly based on academics. Not athletics. If your goal is to rise up in this ranking, scrap all athletics, use the money to hire top academics away from other schools, bring in a bunch of grad students and visiting international academics. Target staff from Harvard, Cambridge, Yale, etc.

1. Peer review - I assume this is based on peer assessments from various academics (e.g, how highly is the Chemical Engineering faculty ranked).

2. Employer review - I assume this is based on reviews from various Fortune 500 companies (e.g., how highly do the rate graduates from the U).

3. Staff / student score - bring in more professors or fewer students.

4. Citations / staff score - get rid of any dead wood, Professors who are not publishing. Alternatively, bring in a academic star who writes a groundbreaking paper which is extensively cited.

5. International staff - bring in lots of visiting professors.

6. International student score - bring in lots of international grad students.

Athletics does not count. Crimson Tide - NCAA FB champs are not ranked. Duke is ranked due to high academics.

UW is 65 or 68 iirc

+1

Top end in sports and schooling.

If we continue to improve in BB, it will be awesome cheering for the Wisky FB team and the U FB team as a fan of both great schools living in Minneapolis.

Top Bottom