Extension for Tubby?

Swede

Reaction score
Is he worth the price for lower division finishes and one and done tourney trips? He was absolutely the right hire at the right time and brought this program back from the abyss. And I'm not advocating that he be canned. But should the U mortgage Williams Arena for a long term extension for Tubby without more of showing that we are on an upward trajectory? I frankly am not sure that I see the make up of the current squad, incoming recruits included, becoming an upper echelon team in the the Big 10.

Is he worth the price for lower division finishes and one and done tourney trips? He was absolutely the right hire at the right time and brought this program back from the abyss. And I'm not advocating that he be canned. But should the U mortgage Williams Arena for a long term extension for Tubby without more of showing that we are on an upward trajectory? I frankly am not sure that I see the make up of the current squad, incoming recruits included, becoming an upper echelon team in the the Big 10.

Let's see, we won 9 games before his arrival and have won 20+ since...I'd say that's an upward trajectory. Not bad for 3 years on the job. He'll get an extension and he DESERVES an extension.

You almost had me going there, Swede. When I first read the post, I couldn't believe anyone could be so dense. Good one!

Let's see, we won 9 games before his arrival and have won 20+ since...I'd say that's an upward trajectory. Not bad for 3 years on the job. He'll get an extension and he DESERVES an extension.

2006-07 Monson/Jim Molinari 9 22 3 13 9th
2007-08 Tubby Smith 20 14 8 10 6th
2008-09 Tubby Smith 22 11 9 9 T-7th
2009-10 Tubby Smith 21 14 9 9 9

06-07 to 07-08 was upward trajectory. Last three years, plateau. Not saying fire him, but at what terms would you extend him?

06-07 to 07-08 was upward trajectory. Last three years, plateau. Not saying fire him, but at what terms would you extend him?

Right now.

You do realize that we had the 5-star circus performer and assorted other Men's Warehouse clients sitting on the bench rather than playing last year, right? And don't tell me that's all Tubby's fault; I don't want to hear about it - I guarantee it.

Gophers have 3 straight 20+ W seasons.

Can you name the last time that happened at Minnesota?

Hint: I think it was the 12th.

Of Never. But I'm not sure.

Clem with a huge asterisk!

Gophers have 3 straight 20+ W seasons.

Can you name the last time that happened at Minnesota?

Hint: I think it was the 12th.

Of Never. But I'm not sure.

Actually Clem did have 6 seasons in a row of 20 plus wins. There was a minor problem with NCAA rules however that negated five of those seasons entirely!

1992-1993 22-10 ( not negated!)
1993-1994 21-12 ( negated )
1994-1995 20-11 ( negated )
1995-1996 20-12 ( negated )
1996-1997 31-4 ( negated )
1997-1998 20-15 ( negated )

So if you mean did any Gopher coach ever win 20 games for three seasons in a row without cheating, the answer would be no.

You, with all due respect are an idiot. Tubby is the best thing to happen to Mn roundball. Ever! He should be extended NOW!

Actually Clem did have 6 seasons in a row of 20 plus wins. There was a minor problem with NCAA rules however that negated five of those seasons entirely!

1992-1993 22-10 ( not negated!)
1993-1994 21-12 ( negated )
1994-1995 20-11 ( negated )
1995-1996 20-12 ( negated )
1996-1997 31-4 ( negated )
1997-1998 20-15 ( negated )

So if you mean did any Gopher coach ever win 20 games for three seasons in a row without cheating, the answer would be no.

The list that I saw had 3 of those 6 seasons with fewer than 20 W.

fot

The list that I saw had 3 of those 6 seasons with fewer than 20 W.

fot, I got these numbers from: http://ericthrall.com/gophers/basketball/

In any case the NCAA says five of those six seasons compiled zero wins so your statement regarding the three in a row by Tubby being the best in Gopher history is totally correct.

I say give Tubby MORE than he wants! Extend him as long as he wants to be extended.

Go Gophers!

Keep Tubby

If the U does not extend Tubby, both Maturi and his boss will be looking for new positions. Tubby is the main reason the Gophers are even getting consideration from many of these recruits.

I bet Oregon would happily trade Dana Altman for Tubby (much bigger name to fill seats in their new stadium). Tubby is a great coach, who also brings character and relevance to the program.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksbeat/2010/04/oregon_basketball_ducks_close.html

Sorry if this turns out to be just another rumor (but eventually Oregon will get a coach).

Altman

If the U does not extend Tubby, both Maturi and his boss will be looking for new positions. Tubby is the main reason the Gophers are even getting consideration from many of these recruits.

I bet Oregon would happily trade Dana Altman for Tubby (much bigger name to fill seats in their new stadium). Tubby is a great coach, who also brings character and relevance to the program.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksbeat/2010/04/oregon_basketball_ducks_close.html

Sorry if this turns out to be just another rumor (but eventually Oregon will get a coach).

Dana Altman will be an excellent hire by Oregon if that happens. Darn good coach.

I'd extend him. Without Tubby, the U goes back to being an afterthought in the CBB landscape.

I agree with FOT on this one. Dana Altman would be a great hire for Oregon, especially at this stage of the game where they've gone through countless names on their list. Altman is pretty close with Tubby, dating back to their days coaching against each other in the Missouri Valley when Tubby was at Tulsa (then a member of the MVC). Altman will do well at Oregon.

And, as far as the extension for Tubby, whoever questions whether it's a smart thing to do needs a test to check for brain activity.

Had White and Mbakwe played, the upward trajectory would still be going, and keep in mind how close many of the games were this year. Also, that upward trajectory went from 06-07 to 08-09, I'll take a two win improvement any day.

Mostly good and obvious points about where we may have been prior to Tubby and "what could have been" had our recruits with baggage not opened their bags, but, is it worth extending a coach who had 4 more years on his current contract for $2 or $3 million per year for lower half B10 finishes and one and done tourney trips? Put it another way, if it were anybody named something other than Tubby Smith, would the extension be worth it? Thank you in advance for your thoughtful and civil discourse.

Mostly good and obvious points about where we may have been prior to Tubby and "what could have been" had our recruits with baggage not opened their bags, but, is it worth extending a coach who had 4 more years on his current contract for $2 or $3 million per year for lower half B10 finishes and one and done tourney trips? Put it another way, if it were anybody named something other than Tubby Smith, would the extension be worth it? Thank you in advance for your thoughtful and civil discourse.

The Gophers were 9-22 in 2006-07. Sure, Tubby Smith immediately improved them to 20+ wins, and has reached that mark in each of the past three seasons. But, given how bad they were prior to his arrival, isn't it fair to think that any "normal" coach would have been given maybe a three-year time frame to have reached that level? I mean, take Dana Altman as an example. If Maturi had hired Altman (or another coach from a smaller school) instead, wouldn't that coach have been given 2-3 years to try to turn the program around? To me, that shows what kind of effect Tubby Smith can have on a program. The guy immediately stepped in and turned the Gophers into a 20-win team, and has stretched his streak of 20-win seasons to an incredible 18 in a row. He's still rebuilding this program, and the upcoming season will be the final one with guys on the roster who were recruited prior to Smith's arrival. This team will continue to improve, and Tubby Smith definitely deserves a practice facility, and an extension.

The guy immediately stepped in and turned the Gophers into a 20-win team, and has stretched his streak of 20-win seasons to an incredible 18 in a row.

How much of that improvement can you actually attribute to Tubby? The natural improvement of Westbrook and DJ and the additions of Hoffarber and Nolen certainly accounted for a great deal of it.

Pretty much any coach that took the job was going to look like a genius.

Tubby is a very good coach and I think Minnesota would have a tough time trying to land a better one. Just look at how hard it was for Oregon to find a good coach while waving around a blank check and new facilities. I also think it is ridiculous to even think of finding a new coach considering what Tubby has done. It seems that some among us have very short memories and are taking what we have for granted.

Have some of you forgotten the stench?

Give the man an extension. Some of us here haven't forgotten the stench in Williams Arena from the previous regime. That was just three short years ago, folks. Do people really need to be reminded of 2006-07 and just how bad it got? Remember the Titans? How about Remember the (Clemson) Tigers?

Yes, we're at the point where it's time to start climbing in the Big Ten and win NCAA tourney games. But a rejuvenated Williams Arena/fan base and two NCAAs in his first three seasons after the mess he inherited and there are those whining about a possible extension? Give me a break.

We've won 6 Big Ten Tournament games in three years, appearing in the title game for the first time ever. Under the previous regime we won a total of 4 BTT games in eight years, never winning multiple games in one tournament. We are competing SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER within our own conference and outside of our league (see Louisville-2009 and Butler-2010). If you ask me, the program is not only on schedule but ahead of schedule in terms of it being rebuilt from the pile of poo that it had become. Sometimes I just shake my head what I read on this board. Clueless doesn't cover it.

So well stated, SS. I include that Tubby has done a masterful job in recruiting considering the baggage he has to drag along. It's a hard sell when the facilities for practicing are not up to the standard of the elite schools and he has to build a new "tradition" as he goes. Let's see...commit to TX, UCONN, KY, DUKE, ...etc...or MN. Hmmmmm..... Give the coaching staff all the credit for continuing to build the Gopher program. Give them time and your support.

How much of that improvement can you actually attribute to Tubby? The natural improvement of Westbrook and DJ and the additions of Hoffarber and Nolen certainly accounted for a great deal of it.

Pretty much any coach that took the job was going to look like a genius.

No. I disagree. Dan Monson won nine games with mostly that group. Not every coach is able to get max performance out of talented players.

McKenzie, Coleman, and Tollackson performed about as well under Monson/Molinari as they did under Tubby.

Tubby bridged the gap after the departure of McKenzie, Coleman, and Tollackson. He brought in better talent than Monson could have.

Don't forget how terrible Monson's teams performed on the defensive end of the court. They could never compete because they never played defense. That is a huge difference under Tubby.

Don't forget how terrible Monson's teams performed on the defensive end of the court. They could never compete because they never played defense. That is a huge difference under Tubby.

The 04-05 team played better defense than any of Tubby's teams.

"The 04-05 team played better defense than any of Tubby's teams."

And that (defense) was the norm or the exception during Monson's 7-plus years?

It's silly to debate whether Tubby deserves an extension. Obviously he does. The only real question is why Dithering Joel Maturi is once again taking so long to get it done. Other schools can get it done in a couple of days. It takes Minnesota months. I'm sure it fills Tubby with confidence that his practice facility will be done quickly, when a simple contract extension takes 100 x longer to get done then it would anyplace else, and they pay him his NCAA bonus check 2 months late.

Tubby is a very good coach and I think Minnesota would have a tough time trying to land a better one. Just look at how hard it was for Oregon to find a good coach while waving around a blank check and new facilities. I also think it is ridiculous to even think of finding a new coach considering what Tubby has done. It seems that some among us have very short memories and are taking what we have for granted.

Agree somewhat, but the situation at Oregon was bungled from the beginning, which is why I'm surprised they were able to get as proven a coach as Altman. Whether Altman has success there or not remains the question. But one thing I would hope is that if we want to hire a coach in the future, we at least have an AD in place, something Oregon didn't have. Add to that the fact that every name under the sun was leaked and that the justice department was investigating Mike Bellotti's deal and the search had all the earmarks of a toxic situation.

Having said that, I fully agree that an extension is in order. Not because I don't think the school couldn't hire a good coach, but because I have little to no faith in Joel Maturi's ability to hire a capable replacement.

Top Bottom