Minnesota HS Point Guards

rrjackIII

Reaction score
The Gopher Point Guard situation has gone 'South' so to speak when Cory chose Texas. It could take another hit if Cobbs goes west - and Nolen evidently is not a sure thing either.

I was just trying to remember previous MN HS Point Guards to make some contribution in DIV I basketball. Minnesota, usually known for its big men, has had a few Point Guards over the years worthy of note. Here are a few I could think of but I am sure there are others - please add a few more if you know of others.

Khalid El-Amin
Ben Woodside
Jordan Taylor
Anthony Tucker (PG?)
Kwadzo Ahelegbe
Angelo Johnson
Cameron Rundles
PJ Hill
Jamar Diggs

By my count that is 7 besides Nolen that were playing DIV I basketball this past season.

Now for this year are there any hidden gems this year from MN HS senior class that could surprise and help the Gophers if our PG situation goes further 'South' than it already has? I am not saying we should offer just wondering what is out there - maybe even a walk-on - also were there a few MN HS players that went Juco that could fall into our PG discussion.

no highly ranked Minnesota PG's for next year, that are considering us or from here as of right now. The two top recruits considering us early for next year are

Branden Dawson SG/SF (5-Star)
Marshall Plumlee C (4-Star)

along with multiple other schools they are considering, its early so they havent been cut down.

In 2012, however, we are being considered by the number 3 recruit right now, JP Tokoto, a SG / SF from Wisconsin.

it is still early now though so rivals and scout dont have too many 2011 and 2012 players rated.

there could be someone however with more local information.

PG's

Robert Mestas, though that was quite a while back. McKenzie, depending on your view of wheter he was true PG. Also, I forget the name of the other Henry star who ended up in jail a few years back.

Duuuhh...

Ooops. Forgot an obvious one. With apologies to Mikie S, Adam Boone. :)

Estan Tyler is a PG from St Paul Johnson has an offer from the Gophers. Idk what his rating is on espn but he is very quick and can shoot the 3 very well

no highly ranked Minnesota PG's for next year, that are considering us or from here as of right now. The two top recruits considering us early for next year are

Branden Dawson SG/SF (5-Star)
Marshall Plumlee C (4-Star)

along with multiple other schools they are considering, its early so they havent been cut down.

In 2012, however, we are being considered by the number 3 recruit right now, JP Tokoto, a SG / SF from Wisconsin.

it is still early now though so rivals and scout dont have too many 2011 and 2012 players rated.

there could be someone however with more local information.

Dawson is a long shot (likely going to Purdue or MSU, though our lack of big wings may be appealing)

Plumlee's not coming period

Tokoto is a very long shot too

But those are just the names that the general public knows we are recruiting. Hopefully Tubby's keeping busy on the recruiting trail

Whats the latest on the recruitment of Aaron Cosby? I remember us offering him a couple years back.
Is he still a possibility or has he fallen off the radar?

Whats the latest on the recruitment of Aaron Cosby? I remember us offering him a couple years back.
Is he still a possibility or has he fallen off the radar?

Reclassified to 2011 class. Playing at prep school in Massachusetts. Did well this past season. No idea if he and Gophers are still interested in each other or not.

Reclassified to 2011 class. Playing at prep school in Massachusetts. Did well this past season. No idea if he and Gophers are still interested in each other or not.

JohnnyGopher reported some time ago (but after he reclassified) that the Gophers are no longer interested in Cosby. It's possible that that has changed since then, but I doubt it.

Kamron Taylor (Wisconsin)
Nunness (PG an NCAA Valpo team)
Ben Johnson was sort of a PG
Troy Bell

Wouldn't think the Gophers would have an interest in Aaron Cosby, although he's worked to become more of a point guard. He plays at (Northfield) Mount Hermon with Majok Majok... Mount Hermon being the team that lost to Maurice Walker's Brewster Academy in what is called the 'National Prep Championship'... to get to the finals, Cosby's squad first had to beat Jordair Jett's Notre Dame Prep, then upset a tough Hargrave Academy team.

Jake Sullivan was a very good point guard at Iowa St. He now runs the All-Iowa Attack basketball team that produced Harrison Barnes.

Jake Sullivan was a very good point guard at Iowa St. He now runs the All-Iowa Attack basketball team that produced Harrison Barnes.

Sullivan left the Iowa Attack AAU program last year and now oversees one called Kingdom Hoops in Des Moines. But, you're right, he was a nice player for the Clones.

Marc Sonnen was a PG for Tartan and plays for Northern Iowa

Sullivan

Was a nice player who had a nice career. He was not a point guard.

NBA's Jamaal Tinsley was his point guard along with Barnes... Jake fired from the wing off dribble penetration. I think Curtis Stinson from the Bronx was the point his senior year another good point. Stinson lead ISU over the Gophs in the NCAA a year or two later

Top Bottom