Random thoughts from the game.....

cheeseheadgophfan

Reaction score
1. Anyone else get chills thinking about how good this team could be? Maybe not this year, but we are on our way to be a national power. It feels so good.

2. I'm not one of those people who can pull up old threads, but where are all the people who were saying Carter isn't a D1 player? How about all those with the "Bostick sucks?" How about the people who openly asked where his brother is? Does he get to come back and rub it in your faces? We really have some fickle fans.

3. Tubby's reactions during the game were priceless. I didn't see him doing a whole lot of fist pumping at Kentucky. He appears to be really enjoying himself.

4. This team really shares the ball. Hoff didn't score much but made some great passes. The "extra" passes for better shots were a thing of beauty.

5. Tubby's postgame comments: "Guys are really starting to buy into the system...." He talked about it taking JC guys a while to get acclimated because usually it's their third system in 3 years. "Bostick and Carter have had perfect attitudes for junior college players."

IF YOU AREN'T PUMPED WITH THE WAY THINGS ARE GOING, YOU AREN'T A GOPHER FAN.

cheesehead....I agree that coming to Minnesota has put new life into Tubby and Donna Smith. I hope they love us as much as, if not more than, we love them. Thank you Mr. and Mrs. Smith for helping put Gopher Basketball back on the National Scene. We Love YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree it's really fun. But I haven't forgotten a very ugly game from a few days ago, nor that we've got a lot of newbies. Or the game against MSU. So I'm going to enjoy games like this one, but also remember that a key attribute of freshmen is inconsistency. But yeah, you have to be excited about the future--we have all the most significant pieces back next year, with some pretty good players coming in.

I'm not one of the people who was asking where BostickBro was--in fact I thought he might be staying off the board to respect Tubby's rules--but I didn't sense that anyone was calling him out. What I remember is posters, as always, looking for more info, and going to a guy who had provided lots of interesting tidbits before the start of the season. NO doubt, though, that like every other team, we've got fans who, while I wouldn't call them fickle, certainly forget that these are kids going through a pretty steep learning curve.

MY thought, once again, is how much more fun the game is when you watch guys play tough defense. All those times I stood in the stands yelling "play defense" (or at least thinking it); and now the wish comes true.

It always takes time for the JUCO players to .. play. Blake didn't have a 3 (or 2 or 3) but he continues to demonstrate that his game is complete, I like our chances....

we are bringing in royce and williams and mwabke or however the heck you spell it

i'm already wondering how we get them all the playing time they will want

They do play serious defense. Very few shots have gone uncontested this year. They don't have a star but they do have 10-12 good to very good players. The roster will allow Tubby to be creative in responding to a variety of situations.

Thoughts on the game

I really enjoyed the smaller lineup that was on the floor at times. They were pretty effective pressing and I thought the offense seemed to run better. I lot more movement. With the starting lineup at the opening tip the halfcourt offense seemed somewhat stagnant. Anyone else notice this?

Today we shut down Pringle (there were 6 minutes left in the second half before he hit his second field goal) and limited Battle until the game was well in hand. It reminds me of the years when all opponents needed to do to us was shut down our stars and scorers.
Question: Who could you shut down on our current team to control the game?? We have so many options that it doesn't matter if one of our top scorers gets shut down. And as Jammer said, Wow - what defense!

2. I'm not one of those people who can pull up old threads, but where are all the people who were saying Carter isn't a D1 player? How about all those with the "Bostick sucks?" How about the people who openly asked where his brother is? Does he get to come back and rub it in your faces? We really have some fickle fans. IF YOU AREN'T PUMPED WITH THE WAY THINGS ARE GOING, YOU AREN'T A GOPHER FAN.

Here's your thread, cheesehead, and Art Vandelay's your guy.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=1325

"Travis Busch brings more to the table than Carter and Bostick combined. BTW, where is BostickBrother these days?? What's up with your boy??? I thought he won all of this hardware last year as the JUCO POY?!?!"

Dinkytowner: Typical examples of the comment..."We get too soon old and too late smart". Also remember, that sometimes, it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt. Lot's of examples of both of the statements on these boards, right???? In the meantime, let's remember something....Yesterday is History. Tomorrow is a Mystery. Today is a gift, that is why it is called...The Present. Way to go Gophers, thanks for the gift of today, great job. GO GOPHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Dinkytowner: Typical examples of the comment..."We get too soon old and too late smart". Also remember, that sometimes, it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt. Lot's of examples of both of the statements on these boards, right???? In the meantime, let's remember something....Yesterday is History. Tomorrow is a Mystery. Today is a gift, that is why it is called...The Present. Way to go Gophers, thanks for the gift of today, great job. GO GOPHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Are you insulting me?

Dinky....I was NOT insulting you. I was stating what I feel about some things that were said by others, that you pulled up. Sorry if you feel that I insulted you....All you did was bring up comments of the past by others. It was NOT you who made them. So please accept that, ok?

Dinky....I was NOT insulting you. I was stating what I feel about some things that were said by others, that you pulled up. Sorry if you feel that I insulted you....All you did was bring up comments of the past by others. It was NOT you who made them. So please accept that, ok?

Got it.

Great game today. I feel that everone of the players contributed well. With the players truly embracing Tubby,s system,great chemestry,and excellent coaching there is no way that this will not be a year to remember.

1. Anyone else get chills thinking about how good this team could be? Maybe not this year, but we are on our way to be a national power. It feels so good.

2. I'm not one of those people who can pull up old threads, but where are all the people who were saying Carter isn't a D1 player? How about all those with the "Bostick sucks?" How about the people who openly asked where his brother is? Does he get to come back and rub it in your faces? We really have some fickle fans.

3. Tubby's reactions during the game were priceless. I didn't see him doing a whole lot of fist pumping at Kentucky. He appears to be really enjoying himself.

4. This team really shares the ball. Hoff didn't score much but made some great passes. The "extra" passes for better shots were a thing of beauty.

5. Tubby's postgame comments: "Guys are really starting to buy into the system...." He talked about it taking JC guys a while to get acclimated because usually it's their third system in 3 years. "Bostick and Carter have had perfect attitudes for junior college players."

IF YOU AREN'T PUMPED WITH THE WAY THINGS ARE GOING, YOU AREN'T A GOPHER FAN.

For some of the more amusing posts go to the January 1st page - here's one:

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=1278

Big and little things from today's game...

There are lots of great things that happened today:

- Bostick leading the Gopher scoring -- showing the ability to hit the 3-ball and drive to create his own shot. This could be his breakout performance and he shows the potential to become a primary scoring option. Time will tell.

- Carter getting back to what he showed early in the year. He is so versatile and brings lots of energy. He got some great hustle and effort rebounds. Even though it didn't end up with a score, showed his incredible athleticism when he made a blindly quick spin move to get himself clear when his defender was overplaying him. It was a point guard type move from a 6'8" guy. He may turn into a match-up nightmare for opposing coaches.

- Joseph continued his very good play backing up Nolen. He was on the floor during the first run that built the lead to 10. He made some mistakes on a couple of turnovers, but at least they were aggressive mistakes. He also bounced back and made good plays afterwards.

- Assuming that Bostick, Carter and Joseph continue their progress, the Gophers will have amazing depth and versatility. Tubby has the weapons to match up against big and small teams. He can keep up the defensive pressure by running fresh players out there. They aren't dependent on only one or two players to score. He has the luxury of finding the hot hand(s) and combination and going with them. Even Abu-Shamala was productive in his minutes. What a luxury!

- Hoffarber wasn't his usual shooting threat, but he played some very good minutes and did all the little things and hustled. He even played some solid defense on Battle on a few possessions. Looks like he's worked on his defense. The fact that they went 9-9 from 3-land without any from Blake is amazing!

- If we keep shooting the triple anything like that, lots of room will open up for Colt and RSIII in the paint. Both guys still have work to do on their post game, but their length causes problems and stretching the defense will help.

- I'm really impressed by the maturity and poise that this team is showing. A number of times the shot clock was running low and most of the time they didn't panic and got good shots.

- You've got to love the hustle on D. With the small lineup they really disrupted Penn St. with the press, but still have the length to contest and block shots. Carter and DJ can play bigger than their height and our guards got some nice blocks. Even when we get beat off the bounce, we have the athletes to recover and make a stop.

With continued improvement during the year, this will be an exciting team to watch! With Royce, Rodney, Trevor and Cobbs coming in next year, along with the continued development of our current guys, it's a great time to be a Gopher fan!

That thread is worse than even I remember....

Carter sure seemed to have some good court awarness today....and Bostick's jumper looked just fine to me.

Seriously, I'm not trying to say I told you so. I have no idea what the rest of the season will hold. Carter showed today why Tubby compares him to Tayshawn Prince. He can shoot, handle the ball and rebound. Today, we can see why at times Bostick was ustoppable as a JC player....pull up 3's, penetration, pull up runners, and movement without the ball. The future is bright.

Top Bottom