Sid says Royce and Tubby met on Thursday; Royce asks to be back on team

BleedGopher

Reaction score
http://www.startribune.com/sports/91878434.html

White, Smith meet
Royce White met for about an hour Thursday with Gophers basketball coach Tubby Smith, with the former Hopkins star asking Smith for an opportunity to rejoin the team.

White admitted he had made some mistakes, and said he talked to Smith about the future, with the hope that the past can be forgotten. White dropped out of school because he was suspended from playing because of some legal problems.

Beyond saying his return to the team "is up to the coach," White had no other comment.

Smith admitted meeting with White, but said he would have to think about bringing White back.

There is some question whether White, who attended the university for about half of a semester as a freshman, could be admitted and academically eligible for the 2010-2011 season, or if he would have to attend a junior college next season to be eligible in 2011-2012.

Go Gophers!!

Thank God. Best news I've heard all week! LET ROYCE BACK!!!!!!

That would be great for both parties. And maybe more importantly would give this young man a place to grow and a mentor to learn from.

I honestly hope it can work out.

Interesting - I support whatever Tubby decides is the right thing to do.

Royce White is a quitter. He quit on his teammates and coaches.

Who wants that kind of player around?

And I do think a year in Junior college is not a bad route, let the heat cool down some, come back for Devoe's, Colt's, RSIII's, and Trevor's Senior campaign.

It's the team we were all excited for....

I had almost given up all hope that Royce could suit up for the gophers, so this is good news. If Tubby does let Royce come back he will have alot of work to do. I wonder how this could mess up the scholarship situation? If Tubby lets him back is that CJ's possible scholly or will he have to go juco one year? Lots of unknowns.

Royce White is a quitter. He quit on his teammates and coaches.

Who wants that kind of player around?

I do. If he really has learned from his mistakes, and has no off the court distractions - this kid is one of the best I've ever seen. Not to mention - he's a kid that can benefit from Tubby's leadership, as well as an education.

Either way, I trust Tubby. I hope we see him on the team.

Id let him back once CJ signs with UCONN or Texas, but I would wait for that to happen first. Otherwise there is no scholly for him...

I had almost given up all hope that Royce could suit up for the gophers, so this is good news. If Tubby does let Royce come back he will have alot of work to do. I wonder how this could mess up the scholarship situation? If Tubby lets him back is that CJ's possible scholly or will he have to go juco one year? Lots of unknowns.

Tubby waits for CJ to commit. Then Cobbs makes final decision to stay or go. If a scholly is there then Tubby makes the White decision. Just a guess but this seems to be the logical order of things.

How about making him walk on?

Does anyone think it would be prudent to let Royce play, but make him earn himself a scholarship through one year of walk on play as a means to atone for his previous transgressions?

Id let him back once CJ signs with UCONN or Texas, but I would wait for that to happen first. Otherwise there is no scholly for him...

There will be a scholarship for Royce if Tubby wants him back. Chances of CJ signing about 10%, Chance of Trevor not coming back is about 50%. That equates to at least a 95% chance of scholarship available.

There will be a scholarship for Royce if Tubby wants him back. Chances of CJ signing about 10%, Chance of Trevor not coming back is about 50%. That equates to at least a 95% chance of scholarship available.
And if CJ does end up coming, I wouldn't be surprised to see Cobbs follow through with transferring...as he'd be about 3rd at best @ the PG spot on the depth chart.

The rollercoaster ride begins again.

LOL.... yep...it does....

Doesn't Dolly Parton have a song "Here You Come Again"?

I do agree with those who trust Tubby to handle it.

A focused player with his ability would be a great addition. And, like I said, being around an immensely cool customer like Tubby would be a good influence.

How the hell do you take a 10 percent chance of one player signing, and a 50 percent chance of another player returning, and come up with some random 95 percent chance of a scholarship being available?! :confused:

How the hell do you take a 10 percent chance of one player signing, and a 50 percent chance of another player returning, and come up with some random 95 percent chance of a scholarship being available?! :confused:

Guessing you're not a math guy. GF is right, .1 * .5 = .05 or 5% chance we don't have a scholarship.

He is saying 90% Cory DOESN'T sign would lead to a scholarship available...the Mbakwe 50% would make that in the 95% range when added...sound logic other than the fact that the percentages are pulled completely out of his A$$

EDIT: sorry, should have read Burton34's post before posting this

To those suggesting Tubby should make White earn back his scholly by walking on, come on, that's not remotely realistic.

HOWEVER, I do think it would be reasonable for Tubby to say, look, I don't want you back if you're just going to be one-and-done. If at the end of the year you're a clear lottery pick, then I understand, but otherwise you promise you stay at least two years. We don't need another Humphries/Rickert/Pryzbilla leaving before they really give anything back to the program.

To those suggesting Tubby should make White earn back his scholly by walking on, come on, that's not remotely realistic.

HOWEVER, I do think it would be reasonable for Tubby to say, look, I don't want you back if you're just going to be one-and-done. If at the end of the year you're a clear lottery pick, then I understand, but otherwise you promise you stay at least two years. We don't need another Humphries/Rickert/Pryzbilla leaving before they really give anything back to the program.

The difference between White and those a-holes is Whites Teammates actually like him.

This has been used a number of times on the board, but I can't think of a more appropriate time for it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7w64fbqYQY

I think he has like the same 6-7 comments all saved in a word document that he just copies and pastes on here. The one you referred to is his favorite.

I don't think you've ever posted this before. Thank you for the fresh perspective.

It might be good if Royce has to go to JUCO. He would have to prove (in some sense) that it wouldn't be a risk bringing him back on the team during his time there. If he stays out of trouble for a year (I know, that shouldn't be that hard or prove that much), I think we can afford to give Royce one last chance. Also, simply letting Royce back would probably send the wrong message to him.

Top Bottom