Gopher Nonconference Schedule (updated 4/22/10)

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
A head start for 2010-11. Nonconference games listed below are rumored to be on the docket. Akron added, per Shooter Walters' recent column. Tip of the cap so far to Joe & Tubby for what they've done. This is already a significantly better nonconference home schedule than last season.

I will update as needed between now and finalization of the schedule in August. Final 2009-10 RPI is listed in parentheses.

Home (likely 8)
1. Wofford (69) -- Friday, Nov. 12/Saturday, Nov. 13
2. Siena (31) -- Monday, Nov. 15
3. TBD (likely ACC/Big Ten Challenge opponent) -- Monday, Nov. 29/Tuesday, Nov. 30/Wednesday, Dec. 1
4. Akron (89) -- Wednesday, Dec. 15
5. North Dakota State (268) -- Date TBD
6. TBD
7. TBD
8. TBD

Road (likely 1)
1. Saint Joseph's (184) -- Date TBD

Neutral (likely 3)
1. Thursday, Nov. 18 -- Quarterfinals of Puerto Rico Tip-Off: West Virginia (4), Vanderbilt (26), North Carolina (92), Western Kentucky (132), Hofstra (145), Nebraska (149) or Davidson (179)

2. Friday, Nov. 19 -- Game #2 of Puerto Rico Tip-Off

3. Sunday, Nov. 21 -- Game #3 of Puerto Rico Tip-Off

Average RPI of Rumored Nonconference Opponents (Akron, North Dakota State, Saint Joseph's, Siena, Wofford): 128.2

Potential BCS Opponents?
According to Basketball Travelers, Inc., the Gophers are looking for a BCS home & home series starting on the road in the 2010-11 season. Here are some major conference programs who appear to match the Gophers' scheduling needs, or close to it.

Arizona State: Looking for home & home series. Can start on the road.

Arkansas (Part I): Needs to start a home & home series Dec. 7 or Jan. 1 in Fayetteville.

Arkansas (Part II): Looking for someone to play Dec. 28 in Little Rock. Willing to discuss return game at a neutral site.

Auburn: Looking for BCS home & home series starting Nov. 26-27 on the road.

Colorado: Looking for home & home series starting Jan. 1-3 in Boulder.

Georgia: Looking for 4-year BCS home & home series.

Kansas State: Looking for BCS home & home series starting Nov. 26-27 in Manhattan.

Marquette: Looking for BCS home & home series. Can start at home or on road.

Ole Miss: Looking for BCS home & home series starting Nov. 24.

Seton Hall: Looking for BCS home & home series starting in New Jersey.

USC: Looking for BCS home & home series starting Dec. 8-12 or Jan. 8-9 in Los Angeles.

Am holding out hope the Big Ten will go to full round robin schedule (20 games) next year, but until we hear otherwise we'll assume Big Ten schedule remains at 18.

Would be great to add any of those "BCS" schools....Marquette seems especially intriguing.

When Joe Esposito was on the radio (filling in for Tubby) in January, he mentioned Northern Iowa as a possible future opponent.

Marquette would be super, and I'd add K-State and USC to the top of the list. I could be persuaded to take a winter trip to LA to see USC's Song G, er, I mean basketball team.

I know this is an exhibition SS but we'll be playing MSU ( Mankato )

That’s a good thing, because next year MSU opens its season with an away game against the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis.

“When I first heard that, I was like, ‘We’re going up to The Barn to play Tubby (Smith), huh?’” recalled Meinders, who embraced the challenge. “I want to play, I’m ready for that.”

Not Gopher-related but there will be a rematch of the National Championship game. Duke and Butler will play on Dec 4th in the Meadowlands. It was announced yesterday.

I have also heard nothing but great things about the Galen Center(home of the Trojans). Easily one of the best of the new schools arenas. Some NBA elements but not a NBA arena which in college is a GREAT thing.

MARQUETTE it has to be done. My second favorite team in college basketball. I would travel to Milwaukee to see the game, maybe it would be over winter break so I could just drive an hour from home. The closest non-big ten BCS team, could be a long-term series. GET IT DONE!

MARQUETTE it has to be done. My second favorite team in college basketball. I would travel to Milwaukee to see the game, maybe it would be over winter break so I could just drive an hour from home. The closest non-big ten BCS team, could be a long-term series. GET IT DONE!

Actually I believe that would be Iowa State (pretty quick jaunt down I-35). Anyway, I agree Marquette would be a good opponent. With the Mayor coaching ISU now they would be a good team to schedule regularly too.

Courtesy of nooram from his season ticket renewal form. Based on that, it appears these are the non-conference home opponents:

Wofford
Siena
North Dakota State
ACC Challenge team
Buffalo
Eastern Kentucky
Akron
South Dakota State

8 total home non-conference games.

SOS can update RPI from last year, etc.

Courtesy of nooram from his season ticket renewal form. Based on that, it appears these are the non-conference home opponents:

Wofford
Siena
North Dakota State
ACC Challenge team
Buffalo
Eastern Kentucky
Akron
South Dakota State

8 total home non-conference games.

SOS can update RPI from last year, etc.

This schedule has 'not renewing' written all over it. It is certainly better in terms of RPI, but there still isn't a opponent that gets you excited and looking forward to a trip to the Barn.

This schedule has 'not renewing' written all over it. It is certainly better in terms of RPI, but there still isn't a opponent that gets you excited and looking forward to a trip to the Barn.

It wouldn't be a schedule without skoalvikings threatening not to renew.

+1:)

(however, I think the time has finally come)

Certainly, no one could really blame you. But would you really feel THAT much different if we had a game with Oregon or Georgia or South Carolina in place of Wofford? I certainly understand being frustrated, and the fact that we haven't played a single non-ACC challenge BCS team in 4 years is pathetic. But to go so far as to not renew, it seems like a pretty arbitrary line. 80% of the value of Gopher basketball tickets are the Big 10 games and that has always been the case.

I always think of the non-conference games as "free" and that I pay ~60 bucks a seat/game for the Big Ten games

Certainly, no one could really blame you. But would you really feel THAT much different if we had a game with Oregon or Georgia or South Carolina in place of Wofford? I certainly understand being frustrated, and the fact that we haven't played a single non-ACC challenge BCS team in 4 years is pathetic. But to go so far as to not renew, it seems like a pretty arbitrary line. 80% of the value of Gopher basketball tickets are the Big 10 games and that has always been the case.

Louisville?

Top Bottom