A Better Open Letter to Cory Joseph

beowulftom

Reaction score
Hey Cory,

On the off chance that you, or someone you know, would visit this board I've decided to do my part in persuading you into making the decision to come to the U of M. I've stolen some of Gopher in Texas's ideas, I hope he's ok with that.

Reasons to come here;

1. Your brother.
This is Devoe's team now. He became the leader with his poise under pressure in the later half of the season and the Big Ten Tourney. The two of you make a lethal back-court and will no doubt be national news. What a cool thing to advance your dreams while helping those of your brother who, you know, will have your back.

2. Tubby Smith.
You will be coached by a Hall of Fame-bound coach who's helped mold Rondo and Prince and others into successful pros. You will be a better player and person for having played for him.

3. You will be "the guy"
This team is primed for someone with NBA first round talent to come and propel them to national prominence, and end up on ESPN ALOT. You will be, from the day you walk in the door, our go-to guy, surrounded by a deep talented team that can play stifling defense. As Steph Curry has proven, when you're the focus of a successful team, you will ge noticed.

4. The Big Ten
This conference is strong and not going anywhere. Each year our teams battle it out and send teams to the tourney that make a run at the title. Great players too, Evan Turner, Deron Williams, Magic Johnson, Kevin Mchale, etc. etc.

5. Minneapolis.
While some think of MN as a cold destination, I think you'll find it alive, progressive, artistic, and friendly. This city is diverse, has everything from the Mall of America to the Guthrie Theater to the Twins, Vikings, Wolves...
You can canoe the Mississippi, go down to First Ave and hear an incredible band, truly a place that you'll love to be, your family already probably loves to visit.

6. The Team
Like I said, this team is ready. You'll be with guys who'll make the game easier for you. I truly believe that, with you, the sweet sixteen is easily reachable this year, and a National Title run is possible the next.

7.The Fans
I know that if you've looked around this message board, MN fans can come across as a little pessimistic. That might be true but when their hope is stirred up, they are fiery and unbelievably loyal. You know that you'll always have a home here even after you leave.

Whatever you decide, I wish you well, I know this is a big decision, a life-changing decision.
If you choose MN, I expect you'll look back on it as a good one.

Hey Cory,

On the off chance that you, or someone you know, would visit this board I've decided to do my part in persuading you into making the decision to come to the U of M. I've stolen some of Gopher in Texas's ideas, I hope he's ok with that.

Reasons to come here;

1. Your brother.
This is Devoe's team now. He became the leader with his poise under pressure in the later half of the season and the Big Ten Tourney. The two of you make a lethal back-court and will no doubt be national news. What a cool thing to advance your dreams while helping those of your brother who, you know, will have your back.

2. Tubby Smith.
You will be coached by a Hall of Fame-bound coach who's helped mold Rondo and Prince and others into successful pros. You will be a better player and person for having played for him.

3. You will be "the guy"
This team is primed for someone with NBA first round talent to come and propel them to national prominence, and end up on ESPN ALOT. You will be, from the day you walk in the door, our go-to guy, surrounded by a deep talented team that can play stifling defense. As Steph Curry has proven, when you're the focus of a successful team, you will ge noticed.

4. The Big Ten
This conference is strong and not going anywhere. Each year our teams battle it out and send teams to the tourney that make a run at the title. Great players too, Evan Turner, Deron Williams, Magic Johnson, Kevin Mchale, etc. etc.

5. Minneapolis.
While some think of MN as a cold destination, I think you'll find it alive, progressive, artistic, and friendly. This city is diverse, has everything from the Mall of America to the Guthrie Theater to the Twins, Vikings, Wolves...
You can canoe the Mississippi, go down to First Ave and hear an incredible band, truly a place that you'll love to be, your family already probably loves to visit.

6. The Team
Like I said, this team is ready. You'll be with guys who'll make the game easier for you. I truly believe that, with you, the sweet sixteen is easily reachable this year, and a National Title run is possible the next.

7.The Fans
I know that if you've looked around this message board, MN fans can come across as a little pessimistic. That might be true but when their hope is stirred up, they are fiery and unbelievably loyal. You know that you'll always have a home here even after you leave.

Whatever you decide, I wish you well, I know this is a big decision, a life-changing decision.
If you choose MN, I expect you'll look back on it as a good one.

ok, I am in

I don't know about canoeing down the Mississippi. Why don't you purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...

Not a word about "Little Canada" Minnesota to make him feel at home.

I agree except if cory comes here, the national run will happen right away, screw the sweet 16

Remember that thread about Mo's status updates and how they relate to Cory? Well, from that, some of us may gather that Cory doesn't know quite how much we want him here.

That being said, I could send this thread's link to Mo. Do you guys think that's a good idea? Maybe he'll send it to Cory...

Remember that thread about Mo's status updates and how they relate to Cory? Well, from that, some of us may gather that Cory doesn't know quite how much we want him here.

That being said, I could send this thread's link to Mo. Do you guys think that's a good idea? Maybe he'll send it to Cory...

OMG :(

Well said. I think Cory would have a very special experience at Minnesota. One that he is likely to charish for a lifetime.

I honestly think MN is the best fit.

If Avery Bradley goes pro at Texas, I think it's likely Cory would end up playing a lot of minutes, but most of them at the 2. Texas has a lot of good PGs, just none of them as good as Cory. But Cory has the size and outside shooting ability that many of Texas's guards lack. If Bradley stays, Cory and Bradley start in the backcourt, but there are still no fewer than *4* talented PGs coming off the bench behind him.

Nova is a similar situation. Cory may or may not start, but he would get significant minutes regardless... However, Malik Wayns would most likely get the start and lion's share of the play time at PG, which isn't an ideal situation for Cory, regardless of how much they use their guards.

UConn, same story. Cory likely steps in and takes Dyson's starting spot... at shooting guard. He'd get a ton of minutes, and would be the PG when Walker isn't in the game, but Walker will play 35ish minutes a game, most if not all of them at PG.

UNLV obviously plays up-tempo and Cory would start and play full time at PG, but they aren't even a BCS school.

Minnesota has a starting job for Cory at the point, right along side his brother. Mo Walker may get limited minutes this year, but he's still a good friend who would help make the transition easier. And if you don't think that the media would eat up the Joseph and Joseph Canadian backcourt story for a surging Minnesota team, you're wrong. They would absolutely love that story. Maybe almost as much as us fans ;)

I won't pretend to have any insider info, but I can make a strong argument that Minnesota is the best situation for Cory to showcase his talent.

I honestly think MN is the best fit.

If Avery Bradley goes pro at Texas, I think it's likely Cory would end up playing a lot of minutes, but most of them at the 2. Texas has a lot of good PGs, just none of them as good as Cory. But Cory has the size and outside shooting ability that many of Texas's guards lack. If Bradley stays, Cory and Bradley start in the backcourt, but there are still no fewer than *4* talented PGs coming off the bench behind him.

Nova is a similar situation. Cory may or may not start, but he would get significant minutes regardless... However, Malik Wayns would most likely get the start and lion's share of the play time at PG, which isn't an ideal situation for Cory, regardless of how much they use their guards.

UConn, same story. Cory likely steps in and takes Dyson's starting spot... at shooting guard. He'd get a ton of minutes, and would be the PG when Walker isn't in the game, but Walker will play 35ish minutes a game, most if not all of them at PG.

UNLV obviously plays up-tempo and Cory would start and play full time at PG, but they aren't even a BCS school.

Minnesota has a starting job for Cory at the point, right along side his brother. Mo Walker may get limited minutes this year, but he's still a good friend who would help make the transition easier. And if you don't think that the media would eat up the Joseph and Joseph Canadian backcourt story for a surging Minnesota team, you're wrong. They would absolutely love that story. Maybe almost as much as us fans ;)

I won't pretend to have any insider info, but I can make a strong argument that Minnesota is the best situation for Cory to showcase his talent.

I can't really disagree with anything above but why then hasn't CJ pulled the trigger and committed to the Gophs? What is he waiting for? Yeah, yeah, yeah, he's taking his time and weighing all his options but that doesn't bode well (in theory) for the Gophers. It's obvious he's waiting to see who leaves early for the NBA and where the other highly touted HS players are committing. This indicates that the Gophers are not his #1 choice and like others have stated, Minnesota appears to be his safety school. He could still end up here, but it will likely be the result of the other schools dropping the ball. He knows everything he needs to know about the Gopher program and has for quite some time. What has changed with the program (that is relevant to him) in the past couple of months?

I'm not trying to say that I think he WILL sign with the Gophers, because honestly, I doubt we're his first choice right now. What I am saying is that I HOPE he does sign with us, and I honestly think that we can provide him the best opportunity to showcase his talents.

I can't really disagree with anything above but why then hasn't CJ pulled the trigger and committed to the Gophs? What is he waiting for? Yeah, yeah, yeah, he's taking his time and weighing all his options but that doesn't bode well (in theory) for the Gophers. It's obvious he's waiting to see who leaves early for the NBA and where the other highly touted HS players are committing. This indicates that the Gophers are not his #1 choice and like others have stated, Minnesota appears to be his safety school. He could still end up here, but it will likely be the result of the other schools dropping the ball. He knows everything he needs to know about the Gopher program and has for quite some time. What has changed with the program (that is relevant to him) in the past couple of months?

so....

From your absurd post I get..

* That you're angry at Cory Joseph for taking time to make the biggest decision of his young life.
* That you are wildy supposing thoughts and intentions for Cory that you have no way of knowing.
* That even if the Gophers do get Cory, you'll somehow spin it in a way that confirms your B.S. idea that MN is second best to everybody else.

I think he's a good kid, and smart. He's going to weigh his options and try to make a decision that feels right.

I hope you realize that MN being in the running for a player of his caliber (which we very much are) is a good thing.

I hope you realize that MN being in the running for a player of his caliber (which we very much are)
how do you know this?

pure conjecture on your part which is fine but you seem to express it as fact. just because we are listed in his top 5 doesn't mean a thing. UNLV is also listed but many on this board think this is just throwing UNLV a bone. maybe he is just throwing Minnesota a bone too?

I hope you realize that MN being in the running for a player of his caliber (which we very much are)
how do you know this?

pure conjecture on your part which is fine but you seem to express it as fact. just because we are listed in his top 5 doesn't mean a thing. UNLV is also listed but many on these board think these is just throwing UNLV a bone. maybe he is just throwing Minnesota a bone too?

HOW DO I KNOW THIS?

O boy... the fact is that you answered your own question...just because we are listed in his top 5

That is not conjecture... please look up the word BTW... and it does, in fact, mean something.

This is too big of a decision to "throw somebody a bone" . All the schools listed have a shot. They are the only schools in America with a shot. Some may have have a betteer shot than others, but it is an undeniable fact that MN in in the running to recruit Cory Joseph.

On top of that, I contend that we have a good shot, I've listed my reasons, my points of persuasion for Cory.

"...but it is an undeniable fact that MN in in the running to recruit Cory Joseph."

it is also so an undeniable fact that most believe it is down to Texas and Villanova and according to an ESPN story UConn may still be in the mix without even being listed in his top 5. . It would seem the top 5 are not the only schools in the running. Doesn't even mentioned Minnersota or UNLV. I have no idea if the ESPN story is true or not but it is just as good information as most on a message board can put out there.

Also, how do you know that some of the schools on his top 5 list haven't been eliminated? Unless you have inside information you have no idea which schools still in the running or not which is pure conjecture on your part.

Top Bottom