UConn to Big 10?

Doesn't make sense. They bring nothing to the football side of the equation, I would be floored if they were brought in.

But they do get the New England and New York media markets. Also, they help basketball, baseball, and they have a D1 hockey team...

I see UConn as a key for the Big Ten if it really wants to expand to 14-16 teams. If the Big Ten can get UConn to commit, other teams the Big Ten covets would follow suit. If UConn says it's moving to the Big Ten, then schools like Syracuse, Pitt, Rutgers, or Notre Dame would be more inclined to make the switch, as well. Thoughts?

I agree with the Syracuse and Rutgers argument, but I think that the priority is for Notre Dame before UConn. I don't think UConn coming will change the mind of Notre Dame. I think either teams would be a great addition for the Big Ten. The football program at UConn is improving dramatically and is just as good or better than Northwestern and Indiana right now. We all know their basketball team and they have a D1 hockey team and a dominant baseball team.

I'd welcome UConn with open arms.

Notre Dame probably already said no. Hence, we move to the trifecta of UConn-Pitt-Rutgers.

Notre Dame probably already said no. Hence, we move to the trifecta of UConn-Pitt-Rutgers.

I think the target would be Syracuse, Pitt, and Rutgers. If we pulled those three and then the ACC plucked a team or two from the Big East, then the collapse of Big East would be underway. i guarantee Notre Dame is sweating. Nobody wants to be the last one on the dance floor, and if Notre Dame keeps playing hard to get, they may be left in a dead conference. I think Notre Dame knows this. . .I don't see UConn being key, I think its more the fact that the Big East is going down, its inevitable.

Apparently Cowherd said it would be UConn-Pitt-Rutgers. Talk about a boss basketball conference.

Maybe the Big Ten should try to get UCLA. National market there.

Watch out: Superconference

Watch out for this scenario:

Notre Dame
UConn
Rutgers
Pitt
Syracuse

All join the Big Ten to create a 16 team superconference.

If UConn, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, and/or Syracuse make the move, you seriously don't think Notre Dame would change its mind about having said no to the Big Ten? In my mind, UConn is among the biggest dogs in the Big East, which is why I think other schools will follow suit if the Big Ten is able to steal them away from the Big East. If UConn leaves, it will be like pulling a card at the base of a house of cards, and everything else will fall.

Basketball-wise, certainly would love to see Pitt, Syracuse & UConn join the Big 10. That would be a serious coup for the Big Ten.

Basketball-wise, certainly would love to see Pitt, Syracuse & UConn join the Big 10. That would be a serious coup for the Big Ten.

Would be great, but I could see our home non conference schedule getting its final nail in the coffin. Conference games would be tough enough is the arguement (don't completely disagree).

I don't see any pressure on Notre Dame from any of the discussed scenarios. Who here doubts that if ND said to the B10, at any time, "I'm in" that the B10 wouldn't immediately say "deal?" If not, why wouldn't any other conference extend an invite? I don't think ND is sweating at all.

I also wonder why there isn't more talk of a westward or southward expansion? The Big East schools make basketball more exciting, but I personally would rather see Nebraska on the schedule than Pitt. Never understood the Rutgers excitement. Who is excited about that in any money sport? And, falsely assuming Rutgers means Big 10 network entry into NYC, why would that average fan care if it meant another uninteresting conference game.

I also wonder why there isn't more talk of a westward or southward expansion? The Big East schools make basketball more exciting, but I personally would rather see Nebraska on the schedule than Pitt. Never understood the Rutgers excitement. Who is excited about that in any money sport? And, falsely assuming Rutgers means Big 10 network entry into NYC, why would that average fan care if it meant another uninteresting conference game.

I do agree with you about Rutgers. Of the five current Big East schools that are most often mentioned -- UConn, Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, Notre Dame -- the state University of New Jersey is by far the least attractive of those possibilities. And Nebraska would be a great addition, as well, even though I can't stand the Cornhuskers. I Googled "Colin Cowherd, UConn to join Big Ten" a little while ago, and came across links that also list Colorado and Utah as possible targets for expansion. Although, I'm sure there's also a link somewhere that proposes Sam Houston State as a distinct possibility, since any Joe Schmoe blogger can make themself seem like a legit "media member" in this day and age. lol.

Colorado and Utah were mentioned as going to the Pac-10.

Colorado and Utah were mentioned as going to the Pac-10.

Oops. I obviously didn't read the information. I had just seen those schools listed after I did my search, so I made the assumption that they were being considered for the Big Ten. See how fast rumors can spread? :)

Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm with Handsome Pete on this one. I think it's pretty clear that the Big Ten is trying to make a statement to Notre Dame by going after teams in the Big East. They want to force Notre Dame into joining the Big Ten by trying to eliminate the Big East. I think there are schools from the Big XII that make a lot of sense, but you don't hear any rumors about them joining a super conference.

I'm with Handsome Pete on this one. I think it's pretty clear that the Big Ten is trying to make a statement to Notre Dame by going after teams in the Big East. They want to force Notre Dame into joining the Big Ten by trying to eliminate the Big East. I think there are schools from the Big XII that make a lot of sense, but you don't hear any rumors about them joining a super conference.

Well, give me some cred, too. That's my whole argument for why the Big Ten would be trying to get UConn to make the move.

Top Bottom