frannyjunk

Reaction score
I am puzzled with the recruiting strategy. The Gophs have signed:

Austin Hollins - 3 star, 6'4" SG
Elliot Eliason - 3 star, 6'11" C
Maurice Walker - 3 star, 6'10" PF
Oto Osenieks - no star, 6'9" PF

Power forwards
First off, I would be more excited if Royce was coming back but with double O's committment, that probably means Royce is as good as gone given that there are 3 PF on the roster (Mbakwe is the other) as of today.

Centers
RSIII will probably continue to start, with Iverson backing him up. EE looks to be a redshirt candidate and Mo Walker may be able to spell RSIII and CI if they get into foul trouble.

Guards
Nolen looks to be a strong candidate to come back for his senior year. He and big brother Joseph will duke it out for the starting job, while Horfarber takes the SG spot. AH and Cobbs will come off the bench ..... if Cobbs stays.

Small forward
There's Rodney Williams. Who's backup????

Why is Tubby taking on a bunch of 3 star (or less in the case of double O) PF/C and neglecting the SF spot??? What gives?

Both Oto and Austin are capable of playing the SF. I see Osenieks getting most his time as a SF, with Hollins playing there as needed.

Why is Tubby taking on a bunch of 3 star (or less in the case of double O) PF/C and neglecting the SF spot??? What gives?

Walker = center, Oto = 3/2.

But, thinking in such strict terms of 5 "well defined and traditional" positions doesn't work in the real world. Both Hollins and Osenieks could fill the role of a wing along with two guards... if they can play.

I think we need to fill Trevor's spot since he hasn't resolved his felony charges and its been a year and now it looks like sometime in June is earliest it could get resolved (but its been delayed so many times, we could see it linger like last year). Even if things settle in June--if Trevor is found guilty or plea bargains the charges, I can't see him coming back and we would have a vacant scholarship and all the good prospects will be gone.

I actually think Royce is less of a gamble if he wants to come back and Tubby will take him. I thought Willie Burton said Royce did want to come back and is willing to take summer classes to get on track. Hopefully, Royce can come back as it looks like Cory is going to Texas or Nova and it would be good to have a player of that caliber to lead the team.

I think we need to fill Trevor's spot since he hasn't resolved his felony charges and its been a year and now it looks like sometime in June is earliest it could get resolved (but its been delayed so many times, we could see it linger like last year). Even if things settle in June--if Trevor is found guilty or plea bargains the charges, I can't see him coming back and we would have a vacant scholarship and all the good prospects will be gone.

I actually think Royce is less of a gamble if he wants to come back and Tubby will take him. I thought Willie Burton said Royce did want to come back and is willing to take summer classes to get on track. Hopefully, Royce can come back as it looks like Cory is going to Texas or Nova and it would be good to have a player of that caliber to lead the team.

First of all, you don't just fill spots to fill spots, it's incredibly frustrating that some people think this way. Second of all why in the world would you randomly give up on Trevor now? Your ideas are horrible. Lastly, you have absolutely nothing to base that Cory claim off of. You're completely talking out of your ass.

The word today was Tubby wants Oto to primarly play the 4. The big issue I hear from some who are not sold on Oto is who does he guard, not close to big or physical enough to guard most PF's in the BT and too slow to handle most SF's. They are going to have to pick there spots with Oto and really pay attention to matchups until he adds a significant amount of weight. He looks great when he's shooting by himself but the big question is can he do it when he's being defended. The gophers aren't exactly sure what they have with Oto, but we're intrigued enough to sign him.

Line-ups....

Pg [tba], Nolen, Cobbs, Allen
Sg Devoe, Hollins
Sf Blake, Williams, Oto
Pf Mbakwe, Walker, Oto, Dawson
C Iverson, RSIII, Walker

Doesn't this all sound similar to 3 years ago when Hoffarber was coming in? Who does he guard? What position does he play? Oto to me sounds like a taller Hoffarber.

Power forwards
First off, I would be more excited if Royce was coming back but with double O's committment, that probably means Royce is as good as gone given that there are 3 PF on the roster (Mbakwe is the other) as of today.

Centers
RSIII will probably continue to start, with Iverson backing him up. EE looks to be a redshirt candidate and Mo Walker may be able to spell RSIII and CI if they get into foul trouble.

Guards
Nolen looks to be a strong candidate to come back for his senior year. He and big brother Joseph will duke it out for the starting job, while Horfarber takes the SG spot. AH and Cobbs will come off the bench ..... if Cobbs stays.

Small forward
There's Rodney Williams. Who's backup????

Austin Hollins replacing Devron Bostick.

Elliott Eliason replacing Damian Johnson.

Maurice Walker replacing Royce White.

Oto Osenieks replacing Paul Carter.

Hopefully Cory Joseph replacing Lawrence Westbrook.

PS ignore the How Many Stars BS.

First of all, you don't just fill spots to fill spots, it's incredibly frustrating that some people think this way. Second of all why in the world would you randomly give up on Trevor now? Your ideas are horrible. Lastly, you have absolutely nothing to base that Cory claim off of. You're completely talking out of your ass.

This board is full of horrible ideas (ie any idea you don't agree with), so if you think mine are horrible join the club.

I think the signs point to Texas as the top option for Cory with Nova as his second choice. Texas is a better program, fits Cory's style of play and his best friend plays there. I would love for Cory to be here just as I would love for Harrison Barnes to be here, but wanting it to happen doesn't mean its likely. While I thought Cory's chances of signing here were about ten percent, the rumors floating around and the fact Tubby is looking at other people seem to confirm my fears that Cory is headed elsewhere.

As for Trevor, I would like to see him play but we won't know til June at earliest and there's a fair chance he won't come back. If we could get a better or comparable player now, we should consider dropping Trevor for not resolving his legal issues.

Stars do mean something most of the time, sure there will be some Stephen Currys out there but I am disapointed that this class is so far all 3 stars and lower. I mean wtf we have a coach who has won a national championship, you would think he could land a 4 star kid in every class.

Yeah, lets have him practice all year because Tubby believes he will be on the court next season and cut him loose now.

mbakwedunk.jpeg

GoldenHerbs, If the recruiting "experts" were really that good at scouting talent don't you think they would be working for a head coach making lots of $$$? I trust Tubby's evaluation of who should come here.

Doesn't this all sound similar to 3 years ago when Hoffarber was coming in? Who does he guard? What position does he play? Oto to me sounds like a taller Hoffarber.

Oto is nothing like Hoff besides that he can shoot the three, hes a much better athlete.

Wow... Gopherfish.

This board is full of horrible ideas (ie any idea you don't agree with), so if you think mine are horrible join the club.
Actually, those are two very different things.
Ideas I disagree with.
Ideas I think are horrible.

I think the signs point to Texas as the top option for Cory with Nova as his second choice.
What signs are you referring to? The volcanoe in Iceland?
I DISAGREE.

Texas is a better program,
AHA!!!!!! There it is. Your true reason for all these boneheaded theories. You feel Minnesota is second best to everybody else. You've got low-state-esteem.... While that attitude would work well in a job interview at the Startribune, it doesn't fly with me.
I DISAGREE.

While I thought Cory's chances of signing here were about ten percent,
Dude, we get it. You somehow believe you're doomed to suffer mediocrity, just don't project it out to the Basketball program.
THIS IS A HORRIBLE IDEA.

As for Trevor, I would like to see him play but we won't know til June at earliest and there's a fair chance he won't come back.
WHAT THE *%^^%&@&$ ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

we should consider dropping Trevor for not resolving his legal issues.
THIS IS A HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE IDEA.

Yeah, lets have him practice all year because Tubby believes he will be on the court next season and cut him loose now.

QUOTE]

Well, Tubby's not on the jury. I suspect that they'll hold the scholarship for Trevor, but what happens if Trevor is found guilty or there is evidence that Trevor wasn't completely honest about his situation with Tubby. Can we still get a decent replacement then?

No, but 6'9 quality post players like Trevor don't exactly grow on tree's. There is no recruit left that can match Trevor's game. And while were at what if scenarios, what if Sampson III and Iverson quit school and transfer next fall. Can we still get a decent replacement then?

Neither Royce nor Trevor present clean situations, but the talent level of each is better than whats available. So if Royce wants to return should Tubby take him back? I say if goal is to get best talent, answer is yes.

I'm going to be patient (try to be) and see how all the different skill sets are blended together. I just like watching " a plan come together" and I'll leave all the work to the guys who get paid for it. The team could present some significant match-up problems for opponents = 6'10" + across the front line. Go Gophers! I wonder if Oto will "sing" for the fans at Tubby's Tipoff? I love his video charisma.

Both Oto and Austin are capable of playing the SF. I see Osenieks getting most his time as a SF, with Hollins playing there as needed.

Austin Hollins is 6-4 at the tallest. I sincerely doubt he will play SF.

No, but 6'9 quality post players like Trevor don't exactly grow on tree's. There is no recruit left that can match Trevor's game. And while were at what if scenarios, what if Sampson III and Iverson quit school and transfer next fall. Can we still get a decent replacement then?

I am not disagreeing with you. I just hear people saying we should move on from Royce and I am not ready to write Royce off when the alternative is a zero/two star and Royce, thru Wilie Burton, is communicating his desire to return. Same goes with Trevor. I'd prefer we have him. I was just trying to weight the pros and cons of having a settled roster now or gambling on future outcomes (ie. Trevor being found innocent and Royce getting back on track) that may produce a more talented roster.

But there's quite the difference in how Trevor and Royce reacted to the situations. Trevor has been positive through the whole thing sitting on the side lines cheering on the team, and passing his classes(which had to be tough with the situation he is in), while Royce on the other hand, started making Youtube video's and quit school. And the goal isn't just to get the best talent, its to get the best talent AND teamwork, and unlike Trevor, Royce hasn't exactly acted like a good teammate.

I think the signs point to Texas as the top option for Cory with Nova as his second choice. Texas is a better program, fits Cory's style of play and his best friend plays there. I would love for Cory to be here just as I would love for Harrison Barnes to be here, but wanting it to happen doesn't mean its likely. While I thought Cory's chances of signing here were about ten percent, the rumors floating around and the fact Tubby is looking at other people seem to confirm my fears that Cory is headed elsewhere.

As for Trevor, I would like to see him play but we won't know til June at earliest and there's a fair chance he won't come back. If we could get a better or comparable player now, we should consider dropping Trevor for not resolving his legal issues.

Solid points and I agree with you. My problem is that all our eggs are in CJ's basket, and if he does not come to the U, they will could really be hurting.

Solid points and I agree with you. My problem is that all our eggs are in CJ's basket, and if he does not come to the U, they will could really be hurting.

We have 4 other commits. How is offering Cory Joseph putting all our eggs in one basket?

badgers class looks the same as ours or even worse, wouldn't you say? and they don't even have a shot at a player like CJ. You gave Tubby's class a C- so do the badgers get a D+? I'm curious to see your grade.

We have 4 other commits. How is offering Cory Joseph putting all our eggs in one basket?

Especially when we have Nolen coming back and D. Joseph who showed last year that he's capable of running the point.

Part of the problem with trying to examine the recruiting strategy is the idea that Tubby plays five traditional positions. He doesn't usually do that.

He loves a three-guard line-up (really eliminating a SF). He's used it at Kentucky a lot, and he started a three-guard line-up all season this past year at Minnesota.

So, a shortage of SFs isn't necessarily a shortage in Tubby's eyes. In essence, Hoff was his SF all of last year.

-----Austin Hollins is 6-4 at the tallest. I sincerely doubt he will play SF. -----

Well Hoff is 6-4 and i believe as tjgopher just said, he started at the 3 for basically the entire year. He's obviously better suited to play the 2 but in the system that Tubby runs (mostly 3 guards), I wouldn't be shocked if Hollins played some at the 3.

badgers class looks the same as ours or even worse, wouldn't you say? and they don't even have a shot at a player like CJ. You gave Tubby's class a C- so do the badgers get a D+? I'm curious to see your grade.

About the same I agree. C-, although I posted in another thread the Badgers recruit Evan Anderson could be a real solid player. Like Walker. But aside from him, not too good. Not as many holes to fill there though...

Top Bottom