Ben Brust visit not cancelled?

Blizzard

Reaction score
I had thought the Brust visit was cancelled. Myron tweeted about eight hours ago-

Wondering what Tubby Smith will say to uncommitted PG Ben Brust during his in-home Monday?

Myron is behind the times.

Not surprised. I thought the Wisconsin visit was still on for him though. Maybe not?

All reports are that UW did visit Brust on Saturday. Sounds like there are on-going discussions to determine whether Brust (and Cody Larson) will be eligible to accept a scholarship from Big 10 schools other than Iowa.

Not surprised. I thought the Wisconsin visit was still on for him though. Maybe not?

I would be suprised if it was. Apparently the BT has a rule that prevents signees from decommitting and then gettting a scholarship from another BT school. Brust and Larson can play in the BT but they would have to pay their own way.

http://www.thehawkeye.com/story/Brust-Larson-041810

(For the record I think it's unlikely either resign w/Iowa.)

Myron Tweet:

Ben Brust coach: "Tubby is supposed to come" to Illinois to visit PG prospect Tuesday, assuming Brust gets waiver from Big Ten.

per Myron:

"Ben Brust AAU coach Mike Weinstein: Tubby Smith now scheduled to meet PG prospect at 2 p.m. Wednesday. USC talking to Brust today."

Go Gophers!!

per Myron:

"Ben Brust AAU coach Mike Weinstein: Tubby Smith now scheduled to meet PG prospect at 2 p.m. Wednesday. USC talking to Brust today."

Go Gophers!!

From what I have read and seen of Brust, I think it's very doubtful he plays PG in the Big 10 or where ever he ends up. He is at best a combo guard, but much, much closer to a SG than a PG.

This is a bit dated (i.e. last night), but it confirms that UW followed through with their visit to Brust this past Saturday. I think it's fair to say that UW (and Minnesota based on the above tweet) believes Brust will get the waiver he needs to accept a scholarship from a Big 10 school other than Iowa. UW could really use him for guard depth next season, and he could be a nice combination for the Badgers with fellow 2010 guard Josh Gasser (Gasser is a PG).

http://ilprepbullseye.com/page28.html

Here is an update on Brust from the UW beat writer at the Wisconsin State Journal. Granted it's coming from a writer who covers UW, but the Badgers appear to be in pretty good position to land Brust if he is granted a waiver by the Big 10. Regarding that:

“We believe the rule will be changed. We believe it’s going to work out,” Weinstein said. “If it does, it’s great for Ben because he has some real good Big Ten opportunities. He’s a kid who has always loved the Big Ten. So that’s important to him.”

http://host.madison.com/sports/coll...cle_7c7c9f22-4cd1-11df-9c9a-001cc4c03286.html

if im not mistaken mike miller is from sd and had some success in florida....

You're right. Mike Miller is from South Dakota and starred for the Gators. But I'm sure Cody's parents have to be a little disappointed in that their son was going to play at Iowa, which would have been a little easier for them to be able to see many of his games, and now he winds up headed to Gainesville. I'm sure they support whatever decision he makes, and they want what's best for him, but if I was a parent of a kid like that, I'd have wanted him to stay a little closer to home. The Big Ten wrecked those possibilities, though.

Here is an update on Brust from the UW beat writer at the Wisconsin State Journal. Granted it's coming from a writer who covers UW, but the Badgers appear to be in pretty good position to land Brust if he is granted a waiver by the Big 10. Regarding that:

“We believe the rule will be changed. We believe it’s going to work out,” Weinstein said. “If it does, it’s great for Ben because he has some real good Big Ten opportunities. He’s a kid who has always loved the Big Ten. So that’s important to him.”

http://host.madison.com/sports/coll...cle_7c7c9f22-4cd1-11df-9c9a-001cc4c03286.html

Brust CANNOT play in the Big Ten unless he pays his own way. Confirmed by Big Ten Conference today.

Why does the Big Ten do that?! In a situation like this, where a head coach gets fired, a recruit should be able to move to another school within the conference if it has a scholarship to offer. By denying Brust the ability to move within the conference, the Big Ten loses out on a couple solid players (Brust and Larson).

I still think it is the Big Ten falling on their sword for Iowa and by doing so allowing Iowa to claim they agreed to the waiver but it was out of their hands and they are now the good guys in this even though they really didnt want the waiver to be granted.

Top Bottom