Marcus says Gophs may recruit PG John Loyd

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Marcus just tweeted this:

"If the Gophers can't get Cory Joseph or Ben Brust, then they will likely go after Las Vegas PG John Loyd. But he has some great offers, too."

Here is a recent story on Loyd per Scout:

College coaches are tracking a lead guard in Sin City. John Lloyd has a handful of offers, as well as high majors keeping a close eye on his progress.

This late in the game college coaches are searching high and low for a hidden gem. Point guards are among the most pursued prospect this time around and there’s one in Las Vegas that’s starting to garner attention.
John Lloyd, a standout at Las Vegas (Nev.) Bishop Gorman, just completed a terrific senior season, that finished with his second consecutive state title.

“He didn’t get much attention for so long and now everyone is trying to get involved at the last minute,” B.G. head coach Grant Rice said. “I think there’s a need for true point guards out there. Most kids are combo guards. He’s really a true point guard.”

“He’s just so good with the ball in his hands,” Rice added. “People realize if they have him on their team and it’s a one or two possession game he’ll make the right decision.”

According to Rice, college programs have been calling non-stop over the past few weeks trying to position themselves to get one of the 5-foot-9 lead guards three remaining official visits.

“I’m trying to stay off the phone as much as I can, but I keep getting calls,” Rice said. “A lot of schools are trying to get last minute point guards.”

With the late signing period rapidly approaching, Lloyd doesn’t have much time left to make his decision. To this point, he’s only set up one official visit.

“Right now the only official visit he has set up is to Northwestern and that’s right before the signing period. We are getting a lot of interest.”

“Washington state and UCLA, I talked to them [on Tuesday],” he added. “UNLV is still waiting on Cory Joseph, where UCLA is waiting on Ray McCallum as well, but they are interested. George Washington and Santa Clara are interested.”

Lloyd’s current offer list consists of Northwestern, TCU, Santa Clara, SMU, Oakland and George Washington.

“He and his family are really going to decide that here in the next couple of days because he only has three visits left,” Rice said. “He took early visits to Northern Arizona and Cal Poly and decided to wait and it’s really paid off for him.”

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/956945.html

Go Gophers!!

Marcus really likes to cover all angles.

-Tubby it out recruiting Branden Dawson, but might actually be recruiting him for Oregon.

-Tubby is still the coach at Minnesota but Oregon has offered him the job.

-Maurice Walker is coming for a visit but will probably end up at Pittsburgh.

-Cory Joseph still has Minnesota amongst his finalists but he probably won't come here because he wants to get to the NBA.

-Al Nolen has been working out but is currently out of shape.

-The Gophers are recruiting Oto Osenieks but he might not be able to play defense well enough.

-The Gophers might recruit Ben Brust but so are other schools.

-The Gophers might recruit John Lloyd but so are other schools.

All of which leads me to this conclusion: Marcus Fuller is a good writer but he likes to temper any and all optimistic views by adding a "but...." to his discussions of Gopher basketball.

I don't know. To me, this would seem like settling. Maybe I'm wrong, but it sure seems like a stretch.

-Tubby it out recruiting Branden Dawson, but might actually be recruiting him for Oregon.

-Cory Joseph still has Minnesota amongst his finalists but he probably won't come here because he wants to get to the NBA.

-The Gophers are recruiting Oto Osenieks but he might not be able to play defense well enough.

All of which leads me to this conclusion: Marcus Fuller is a good writer but he likes to temper any and all optimistic views by adding a "but...." to his discussions of Gopher basketball.

You've got it... Don't forget about his fear of if Cory would have played well in the McDonald's All-American game, that would have hurt our chances also.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Marcus just tweeted this:

"If the Gophers can't get Cory Joseph or Ben Brust, then they will likely go after Las Vegas PG John Loyd. But he has some great offers, too."

Here is a recent story on Loyd per Scout:

College coaches are tracking a lead guard in Sin City. John Lloyd has a handful of offers, as well as high majors keeping a close eye on his progress.

This late in the game college coaches are searching high and low for a hidden gem. Point guards are among the most pursued prospect this time around and there’s one in Las Vegas that’s starting to garner attention.
John Lloyd, a standout at Las Vegas (Nev.) Bishop Gorman, just completed a terrific senior season, that finished with his second consecutive state title.

“He didn’t get much attention for so long and now everyone is trying to get involved at the last minute,” B.G. head coach Grant Rice said. “I think there’s a need for true point guards out there. Most kids are combo guards. He’s really a true point guard.”

“He’s just so good with the ball in his hands,” Rice added. “People realize if they have him on their team and it’s a one or two possession game he’ll make the right decision.”

According to Rice, college programs have been calling non-stop over the past few weeks trying to position themselves to get one of the 5-foot-9 lead guards three remaining official visits.

“I’m trying to stay off the phone as much as I can, but I keep getting calls,” Rice said. “A lot of schools are trying to get last minute point guards.”

With the late signing period rapidly approaching, Lloyd doesn’t have much time left to make his decision. To this point, he’s only set up one official visit.

“Right now the only official visit he has set up is to Northwestern and that’s right before the signing period. We are getting a lot of interest.”

“Washington state and UCLA, I talked to them [on Tuesday],” he added. “UNLV is still waiting on Cory Joseph, where UCLA is waiting on Ray McCallum as well, but they are interested. George Washington and Santa Clara are interested.”

Lloyd’s current offer list consists of Northwestern, TCU, Santa Clara, SMU, Oakland and George Washington.

“He and his family are really going to decide that here in the next couple of days because he only has three visits left,” Rice said. “He took early visits to Northern Arizona and Cal Poly and decided to wait and it’s really paid off for him.”

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/956945.html

Go Gophers!!

At the risk of being cynical, weren't we reading the same things about Justin Cobbs last year? I sure hope Cobbs stays put.

I don't know. To me, this would seem like settling. Maybe I'm wrong, but it sure seems like a stretch.

At this point, with all of our seemingly effort aimed at CJ, anything short of getting him is going to feel like setting.

This is why you don't want to be recruiting in the Spring. You end up competing for kids who you ordinarily would not offer because you need to fill scholarships. Outside of Cory Joseph, I don't know of anyone who the Gophers are currently recruiting that I would be excited to land. I am sure Tubby would rather have Carter and Cobbs coming back and be able to focus on 2011 recruiting.

At the risk of being cynical, weren't we reading the same things about Justin Cobbs last year? I sure hope Cobbs stays put.

Thanks for quoting the entire story for no reason MinneMike.

+1 Marcus has gone the typical Minnesota negative media route.

Update from Marcus:

"Vegas PG John Loyd said Minnesota hasn't contacted him or his coach. Wonder what the Gophers are going to do if they don't get Cory Joseph?"

Go Gophers!!

Update from Marcus:

"Vegas PG John Loyd said Minnesota hasn't contacted him or his coach. Wonder what the Gophers are going to do if they don't get Cory Joseph?"

Go Gophers!!

Hey Bleed are you obsessed with posting everything Marcus tweets just minutes after he writes it? Its getting a little odd. Is Marcus that clueless of what the Gophers would do if Cory doesn't sign? Nolan and Devoe can and would handel the point, depending on if CobbS stays and his development. We shoot for Estan Tyler or another guard next year and go from there.

Update from Marcus:

Go Gophers!!

If Cobbs leaves, Cory, Brust, and Loyd don't sign with Minnesota, I've heard the Gophers might be interested in either #1 or #8 in the white uni's in this video.

Future Gophers?

I'd love to see Cory come here if he is going to stick around for a least two years. If not Tubby needs to find another point guard.

I'd love to see Cory come here if he is going to stick around for a least two years. If not Tubby needs to find another point guard.

If he is good enough to be a one and done we probably have a fantastic season and make some sort of run in the NCAA tournament. That would be fine with me.

Nolan and Devoe can and would handel the point, depending on if Cobbs stays and his development. We shoot for Estan Tyler or another guard next year and go from there.

Estan Tyler then Tyus Jones :)

This is looking ahead to next years class, but whatever happened to the recruitment of Aaron Cosby? He reclassified to the class of 2011. i remember us giving him an offer back in like 2008 but haven't heard anything about him since.

Jon Loyd signed with Oregon today. Coach Altmann was on him while with Creighton.

Also in today's news... Davante Gardner to Marquette!

Jon Loyd signed with Oregon today. Coach Altmann was on him while with Creighton.

Also in today's news... Davante Gardner to Marquette!

GW whats your deal with Marquette? Did you go to school there, have family in the area or know Mike Kinsella? Just curious.

The point guards from the 2010 class are getting slim, I prefer to stick with Al, Devoe and a touch of Bryant.

GW whats your deal with Marquette? Did you go to school there, have family in the area or know Mike Kinsella? Just curious.

The point guards from the 2010 class are getting slim, I prefer to stick with Al, Devoe and a touch of Bryant.

Kinsella.. one of the best 3-point shooters in MU history... 80% career average. Yes, I did go to school at Marquette.

Sounds like Maverick Ahanmisi is nearly a lock to sign with the U this week.

Top Bottom