Rodney Williams

Dirk Diggler

Reaction score
With the losses via graduation and transfers, Rodney Williams has been thurst into a very big spot for this team.

The prospect of Rodney playing quality minutes is both exciting and scary. He obviously has the athleticism...he has enough of that to go to the next level. For me though the big key for him will be improving his handle, improving his shot/mid range jumpers and adding weight.

What can we expect from him this year?

I think out of all the players besides the bigs that Rodney would benefit from C. Joseph coming to the gophs. If he plays defense, he will play as he is the most logical option to be at the 3 now that P. Carter has transferred.

I expect him to be in the rotation as I think Tubby will go with a three guard line up quite a bit, but for certain teams I can see Rodney starting. I would like to see Rodney bring the energy to the team, a more consistent shot, and to mix it up inside as he has has the physical tools to be a good rebounder as well. Their is a lot of potential there. Also Trever's situation might affect Rodney, and if Royce ever came as well. A big if on the second one I know, but it can not be entirely ruled out.

I'd say adding strength/weight should be at the top of Rodney's offseason priority list. We all know he's athletic enough to regularly be out on the court for the Gophers. But, once Big Ten play started, Rodney was often bumped around by bigger, more physical players. He can have a great future, but he needs to get serious in the weight room. I hope that's the case with him.

In retrospect, a redshirt for Rodney this year would have been a good move by Tubby. He is a year younger than most of those in his class and hasn't had to work hard in the past to improve the areas of deficinecy pointed out by DD because of his ridiculous athleticism. I think that is the key. Rodney is a smart enough kid to know that he has a huge opportunity next year. If he hangs around the guys on the team with good work habits and heeds the advice of his coaches he can become a Second Team All-BigTen player next year- or even better. Remember, he's still only 18 year of age and as he approaches 20, his physical, mental and emotional maturity are bound to begin catching up with his unlimited athletic potential. Hopefully, Tubby will be in the position to be a little more patient with him next year when he makes a mistake, so he can do some growing up on the court too.

I expect Rodney to make a significant jump next season & to be one of our best 5 players, with or without the younger Joseph on the roster.

If he ever harnesses the ability to put the ball on the floor to create a little space-- with his leaping ability-- he will either score or be fouled on his way to the rim most of the time.

By all accounts he is a really good kid, so work ethic probably won't be a problem.

Just as this thread starting taking off, Myron tweeted this:

"Rodney Williams is arguably the most important player on Minnesota's roster right now. His offseason progress will have a great impact."

Go Gophers!!

I wouldnt be suprised if Rodney became our first real scoring threat next year since Vincent Grier. He showed some real nice flashes last year of becoming a good scorer. Lets see how long of a leash Tubby gives him. I dont think Westbrook, Hoff, or Mckenzie Laurence were scoring threats, although they all have had nice scoring games

After a year of Big Ten basketball experience, I see Rodney coming in next year as a very good defender for us. He can be very disruptive with jumping passing lanes and blocking shots, but I think he also has the potential to be a lock-down defender. With him presumably being more used to the speed of the game at this level, I think he will take a big step towards being that defender he has the potential to be. I think confidence will be a big factor in his offensive game. If he is playing with more confidence I think he will take it to the rim more. He has a very quick first step, and if he gets a step on his defender chances are it's ending up with a poster. Very excited to see what he does next year with extra playing time.

If he ever harnesses the ability to put the ball on the floor to create a little space-- with his leaping ability-- he will either score or be fouled on his way to the rim most of the time.

By all accounts he is a really good kid, so work ethic probably won't be a problem.

I agree about being a great kid, kids with his talent don't always have to work hard, in the past he got by on his ability to play above the rim against inferior/weaker athletes- and I think this season was an eye-opener for him. A big part of his problem in the B10 will be the bumping he gets from the defender in his effort to create space, right now he doesn't have the core body strength, the pull-up jumper or the killer handle to get by the defenders who have been properly prepared on how best to defend Rodney. By the time he's 20, with some maturity and hard work put in, that problem should be remedied. Hopefully he can accelerate that process and become a consistent impact player next year at 19.

Ignoring CJ, I'd say Trevor's status/Devoe Joseph = most important for next year.

"Rodney Williams is arguably the most important player on Minnesota's roster right now. His offseason progress will have a great impact."

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

So how long until Doogie writes a blog on it then?

Having lost Carter to transfer, Williams is getting the shot that may have been delayed a year. This could be the best thing to happen to Williams and the Goph's. If Williams is as good as advertised, it is better to give him the chance now rather than wait a year from now. He should have enough talent around him at all times to not worry about growing pains.

Top Bottom