Florida's Ray Shipman: Athletes play by own rules in dating game

Yeah I saw this last nigh, hilarious. I think its safe to say this happens at many large schools.

Yeah I saw this last nigh, hilarious. I think its safe to say this happens at many large schools.

I think it's safe to say it happens for almost any college athletes. I thought this was funny too, he's honest - but still only telling a fraction of what happens.

I wasn't the best player on my high school team. That distinction belonged to my teammate who went on to play high D-1 ball and have short career in the NBA. Girls in and around our school (and we were in a pretty small town) were throwing themselves at him. He had two different instances where girls claimed they were pregnant after sleeping with him. We weren't particularly close (I wasn't a starter then and he was two years ahead of me) so I wasn't privy to what actually went down but I always heard that his parents, fearing for his future, paid off one of the girls to have the pregnancy terminated.

I bring this up because, for better or worse, a lot of these athletes aren't being bedded for their prowess in the bedroom or even the celebrity/status factor. Some young ladies frankly see these guys as meal tickets. I wish some of the young men would take more responsibility and care in what they do but that's youth I guess. I also wish some of the young ladies would have a tad bit more self-respect than throwing themselves at athletes. But yeah, this happens pretty much everywhere.

I wasn't the best player on my high school team. That distinction belonged to my teammate who went on to play high D-1 ball and have short career in the NBA. Girls in and around our school (and we were in a pretty small town) were throwing themselves at him. He had two different instances where girls claimed they were pregnant after sleeping with him. We weren't particularly close (I wasn't a starter then and he was two years ahead of me) so I wasn't privy to what actually went down but I always heard that his parents, fearing for his future, paid off one of the girls to have the pregnancy terminated.

I bring this up because, for better or worse, a lot of these athletes aren't being bedded for their prowess in the bedroom or even the celebrity/status factor. Some young ladies frankly see these guys as meal tickets. I wish some of the young men would take more responsibility and care in what they do but that's youth I guess. I also wish some of the young ladies would have a tad bit more self-respect than throwing themselves at athletes. But yeah, this happens pretty much everywhere.

Not sure how to spell it but they are commonly known as Hoochies by the athletes.

Does anyone else remember watching "The U" on ESPN 30 for 30(if you haven't seen it's worth watching really good) anyway there is a great line in it that one of the Maimi said before going into the National Championship game he wasn't that worried about the game(he knew they were going to win-which they did) he was more concerned about "lining up and managing" his girls for after the game. Only at the U, I guess.

Does anyone else remember watching "The U" on ESPN 30 for 30(if you haven't seen it's worth watching really good) anyway there is a great line in it that one of the Maimi said before going into the National Championship game he wasn't that worried about the game(he knew they were going to win-which they did) he was more concerned about "lining up and managing" his girls for after the game. Only at the U, I guess.

That would be Lamar Thomas. What a piece of work that guy was. If you get a chance to read Pros and Cons, The Criminals who play in the NFL, there is a good section about him. A miserable excuse for a human being.

It exists at every level. I played BB in what was the WSUC, now the WIAC. If you wanted to pick up a girl, you wore your team jacket to the bar. It was that simple. Even at a school with only 4000 students, there was never a shortage of girls looking to hook up with an athlete.

Not gonna mention any names but it definitely happens here as well.

Facebook is his primary means of meeting girls?

Wow, I must be getting old.

It is! I had a Gopher football player that picked up one of my friends on my Facebook page! They will see a 1/2 inch photo and go after the girls, or more often, the jersey chasers go after them.

Aonther reason for Cory to come to Minnesota.
Devoe will be able to watch out for him.

Haha this is funny because it is exactly the same here at the U, funny to watch the athletes play themselves off to every girl...I'm not even an athlete and I know a bunch of jersey chasers, get that football team photo and start crossing them off...And whenever i get a random girl adding me to facebook, I ignore the request because that's fricken weird, I guess I'm missing out, haha...not

Top Bottom