Good Luck, Justin Cobbs!

GopherLady

Reaction score
I just glanced through the other post, and man - are you guys brutal. He's a freshman, he worked hard, and from all accounts - got along really well with his teammates. Anytime I spoke with him, he seemed like a nice kid. Was he the 2nd coming of Bobby Jackson? Probably not. I wanted to start a new thread to wish him well, staying out of trouble, and thank him for working hard for our team.

Best of luck in your future, Justin!

I just glanced through the other post, and man - are you guys brutal. He's a freshman, he worked hard, and from all accounts - got along really well with his teammates. Anytime I spoke with him, he seemed like a nice kid. Was he the 2nd coming of Bobby Jackson? Probably not. I wanted to start a new thread to wish him well, staying out of trouble, and thank him for working hard for our team.

Best of luck in your future, Justin!

+1000. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Yeah, I agree. While he didn't play exceptional well (he is a freshman playing in a much different system than he was used to), we got glimpses of his talent. He had an incredible handle and could hit the three, not to mention his dunks at the tip off last fall. If Cory doesn't come here, I would've thought Cobbs would be a solid starting pg for us in his junior season. I liked his game, and his attitude. To relay the previous posts, best of luck to Justin.

this move doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me...If he transfers he likely has to sit out a year. If he stays here and we get Cory it is basically sitting out a year. So why not just stay here and have a likely starting PG spot when Cory and Nolen leave? He must really be homesick...

this move doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me...If he transfers he likely has to sit out a year. If he stays here and we get Cory it is basically sitting out a year. So why not just stay here and have a likely starting PG spot when Cory and Nolen leave? He must really be homesick...

That's what I was thinking...

Not every kid can pick up and move 1000s of miles away, get placed in stressful situations on and off the court and be instantly successful. His body language spelled H-O-M-E-S-I-C-K way back at Midnight Madness. Sometimes things were just not meant to be. He will likely bounce back to a California school like SDSU and have a good career. Best of luck to him.

Just left the other thread and most of those comments were very favorable towards Justin. Everyone knows Cobbs has performed admirably as a freshman in his freshman year. I hope he reconsiders and stays. He is well liked here.

IF Justin is transferring, Good Luck to him wherever he goes. Thanks for being a Gopher and sorry it did not workout for him in MN. I thought he played great in his Freshman year.

Agreed. He had solid, not spectacular starter potential for his junior and senior years. I'd rather keep him.

Good luck Justin. You've got a lot of potential and hopefully will realize at a place where you feel comfortable. You only do this once in your life (college) so you may as well enjoy it..

I thought he played with a lot of composure for a freshman and you could see his confidence start to develop. He should have a good college career. Best of luck to him.

I think some people need to check their expectations, some players just take a little more time (can you say Damien Johnson), I have no doubt that Justin could develop into a very nice player given time. Best of luck to Justin wherever he winds up.

The guy comes here for one year, does a below average job, then bails out on his teammates and fans yet everyone here treats him like he was going to be the next coming of some superstar PG and all is fine, great guy for leaving...I just don't get it. Paul Carter leaves for a great reason which I totally understand and he was a very good player, I wish him the best of luck and know he will be successful elsewhere. Cobbs bails because he can't play and everyone's his best friend? Give me a break. Good riddance, Justin.

The guy comes here for one year, does a below average job, then bails out on his teammates and fans yet everyone here treats him like he was going to be the next coming of some superstar PG and all is fine, great guy for leaving...I just don't get it. Paul Carter leaves for a great reason which I totally understand and he was a very good player, I wish him the best of luck and know he will be successful elsewhere. Cobbs bails because he can't play and everyone's his best friend? Give me a break. Good riddance, Justin.

So he bailed out on you as a fan did he? That must be hard for you. I could understand more if it was an impact player that got a ton of clock, but you really need to remove yourself from his decision. People change schools all the time, welcome to college athletics. Don't take it personally.

Oh and who ever thought he was the "next coming of some superstar PG?" He was a good bench player, like eker said, solid but not spectacular.

You really need to find yourself a good reading comprehension class.

Cobbs was a fine player for the Gophers and hopefully he will continue to improve and have a fantastic career somewhere else. Best of luck to him.

Stay classy, NDGopher :rolleyes:

Look, I've spoken of this before, but this is something I simply don't understand. I'm a fan of the Minnesota Gophers. I'm not a fan of any other Division 1 team. I want the Gophers to win every game and get every recruit, and I want every member of the Gophers to be successful. I don't want any other team to succeed, in fact, I want every team in the Big Ten to fail at their goal of winning the Big Ten, and I want every other team in the nation to fail at their goal of winning the national championship.

Why in the world should I wish luck to a person leaving my favorite team? Maybe GL knows Cobbs. Maybe he's a great guy. But I don't know him. The only reason I cared about him at all was as a member of the Gophers. I'm on record as saying that I really like his potential, and I wish he could developed into a great member of the Gophers. He won't now, apparently. So, I don't wish him luck. In fact, I hope he doesn't succeed. I hope no non-Gopher succeed (with the exception of Paul Carter, and a few others). Why would I?

It's not like I'm hoping for an injury to the kid. I hope he has a very productive life, a very fulfilling life, and turns into a great asset to whatever community he settles in. But I don't want him to be successful at basketball. The only players I want to succeed in basketball (with a few limited exceptions, as I mentioned) are Gophers players. Again, I'm not ripping the kid. But if he is no longer a Gopher, he no longer as my support, and though I'll join in wishing him luck in his life, I wish him no luck in his basketball career in D-1. (Now, if he realizes the virtue of academic excellence, and transfers to Carleton, he'll become my favorite player ever.)

Is he even gone yet? LOL I mean, I know it seems inevitable, but I'm just wondering, is this thing official, or has he even made the statement that he's going to leave (whether via Facebook or whatever)?

You're a d0uche. The kid is 19 years old, there are many factors at play here. If he never got comfortable here, then you have to respect that. He didn't bail on anybody, its his life, he has to do what's best for him and for the future. Good luck Justin.

I thought Justin played well and contributed to the team's success. I wish him the very best.

I agree with what most have said. I liked Cobbs and all the tools that he brought. I hope he reconsiders and stays, as I think he has a pretty bright future with the gophers. He wasn't expected to come in this year and be all world, he is a good 4 year player and one that could have been a consistent presence on the team for those 4 years. If Cobbs does leaves I wish him well. That being said I hope he reconsiders and decides to stay. Even if we do or do not get C. Joseph.

You're rooting against an 18/19 year old because he left a program that you cheer for? I can see maybe rooting against someone like Royce, but Cobbs is transferring because he's homesick. There's nothing wrong with that. Why not wish him luck?

Look, I've spoken of this before, but this is something I simply don't understand. I'm a fan of the Minnesota Gophers. I'm not a fan of any other Division 1 team. I want the Gophers to win every game and get every recruit, and I want every member of the Gophers to be successful. I don't want any other team to succeed, in fact, I want every team in the Big Ten to fail at their goal of winning the Big Ten, and I want every other team in the nation to fail at their goal of winning the national championship.

Why in the world should I wish luck to a person leaving my favorite team? Maybe GL knows Cobbs. Maybe he's a great guy. But I don't know him. The only reason I cared about him at all was as a member of the Gophers. I'm on record as saying that I really like his potential, and I wish he could developed into a great member of the Gophers. He won't now, apparently. So, I don't wish him luck. In fact, I hope he doesn't succeed. I hope no non-Gopher succeed (with the exception of Paul Carter, and a few others). Why would I?

It's not like I'm hoping for an injury to the kid. I hope he has a very productive life, a very fulfilling life, and turns into a great asset to whatever community he settles in. But I don't want him to be successful at basketball. The only players I want to succeed in basketball (with a few limited exceptions, as I mentioned) are Gophers players. Again, I'm not ripping the kid. But if he is no longer a Gopher, he no longer as my support, and though I'll join in wishing him luck in his life, I wish him no luck in his basketball career in D-1. (Now, if he realizes the virtue of academic excellence, and transfers to Carleton, he'll become my favorite player ever.)

You're rooting against an 18/19 year old because he left a program that you cheer for? I can see maybe rooting against someone like Royce, but Cobbs is transferring because he's homesick. There's nothing wrong with that. Why not wish him luck?

I'm not singling him out. I root against every person who does not play for the Gophers. They are all, in some manner, rivals of our team. To me, cheering for the Gophers means cheering against every team. It's the same reason I don't wish success for kids from Minnesota who opt to go elsewhere. I may understand their decision. In fact, if in their position, I might do the same. However, having no relationship with them, I see no reason to wish them success. Cobbs' reasons may be understandable, but I see no reason to wish him luck. Once he leaves Minnesota, I have no reason to care about him, and he becomes like every other D-1 basketball player. I hope all D-1 basketball players who don't wear the maroon and gold fail. That's my reasoning.

I have been following Gopher basketball for about 30+ years. I've been reading, and only occasionally posting here at Gopherhole for what I would guess is 5-6yrs (yes, well before it moved to this system in '08) I lurk in the background mostly because I like the information supplied to me as a fan and I don't care to get into some of the pissing matches which develop. Most people here appear to be good natured and eager to talk bball & post information found around the net, which I don't have the time to be searching out myself. I appreciate it more than anyone will ever know.

With that said - I can't believe I'm about to write this...I just have to blow off some steam: Posters who can not be respectful to the amateur players loose all credibility with me. I simply cannot understand why they can't keep it to themselves. My apologies to the classy posters here who read this...

NDGopher - What a complete @$$wipe of a post. You're not the only one, just the one which pushed me over the top.

Justin did a very honorable job as a freshman. I would venture to say he did as well in his Fr. season as other players who ended up as very quality players in their Jr & Sr. years (Ariel McDonald & Eric Harris). I for one would like to see him stay, but if he ultimately decides to leave I wish him all the best. I don't know him, but I can respect him.

Top Bottom