Flip Saunders on Tubby and the Gophers

Blizzard

Reaction score
Nice read -

Unemployed after being unjustly fired as coach of the Detroit Pistons, Flip Saunders has had a lot of time to watch the Gophers men's basketball team practice and play, and he has been very impressed with the great job Tubby Smith has done.

"The thing I like is that, number one, they have a lot of depth, they can play a lot of people," Saunders said of his college team, which is 14-1 overall and plays host to Penn State today. The Nittany Lions are 13-3 and is coming off a victory over Purdue, the preseason favorite to win the Big Ten, after previously giving Wisconsin a tough game in Madison before losing by four...

The rest here ..

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/37394464.html?page=1&c=y

I know there was some talk about the U head basketball coaching spot being Flip's dream job. But for better or worse(much better IMO) it went to Tubby. Now with Flip unemployed would there be any chance he would join Tubby's staff as an assistant coach or equal spot like consultant. It could only help the program to have a guy with that much NBA exprience around.

"Unemployed after being unjustly fired as coach of the Detroit Pistons"

Hahahaha, thanks for the laugh Sid

I'm not sure I want to see Flip on the coaching staff right now. I would be afraid that would mean Tubby was ready to leave and that might mean we are back in our recruiting funk. I wouldn't mind seeing Flip as head coach, but not while Tubby is here.

I know there was some talk about the U head basketball coaching spot being Flip's dream job. But for better or worse(much better IMO) it went to Tubby. Now with Flip unemployed would there be any chance he would join Tubby's staff as an assistant coach or equal spot like consultant. It could only help the program to have a guy with that much NBA exprience around.

Am I mistaken or wasn't Flip the guy Maturi wanted for the Gophers job but he turned it down to stay with Detroit? Kind of reminds me of the Robert Frost poem...

Question: Does the NCAA have a limit on the number of coaches on staff? If so, what is it? If not, I would think Tubby would welcome Flip as a volunteer member of the staff. I don't think Flip needs the $$$$$$$$$$.

Flip

Am I mistaken or wasn't Flip the guy Maturi wanted for the Gophers job but he turned it down to stay with Detroit? Kind of reminds me of the Robert Frost poem...

He was ending an NBA season and looking toward the playoffs when the Gophers needed to be hiring a coach. It was just bad timing. He wanted the job but couldn't leave the Pistons in the middle of the stretch run of the season.

Question: Does the NCAA have a limit on the number of coaches on staff? If so, what is it? If not, I would think Tubby would welcome Flip as a volunteer member of the staff. I don't think Flip needs the $$$$$$$$$$.

From my understanding, Flip is still under contract with the Pistons for atleast 5 million. He keeps recieving his salary until he takes on another job until his contract is up. Pretty hard to take a job like that when you roll outta bed every two weeks to get a check for almost $200,000. Keep cashing the checks Flip ;)

Yes, NCAA has a limit on paid coaches. I don't know the number, but if you add up all the gopher assts, you'll get the limit.

Don't know what the rules are--if any--on volunteer coaches. Clearly Flip doesn't need the $$, and he's an avid Gopher supporter (and his son is on staff), so I'm sure he'd help if Tubby asked him to. And for all I know, he already has.

This kind of stuff gives great press for the program. I can't ever see Flip getting involved though. He would have enough respect for Tubby to be completely hands off and I think Tubby would expect as much. Flip isn't an assistant coach and unless he would have Tubby's complete blessing and they taught things the exact same way, which probably isn't likely, Tubby and the staff seem to be doing pretty well at 15 -1 and moving up a few more spots in the rankings this week.

I guess you are right have Flip as a coach wouldn't be the greatest thing ever. Between Flip and Tubby that it 1 to many big name head coaches on a coaching staff. Now if Flip was willing to just hang around practice everyday and point some things out more as an extra set of eyes it couldn't hurt one bit.

Now if Flip was willing to just hang around practice everyday and point some things out more as an extra set of eyes it couldn't hurt one bit.

I think that would be great as well. Don't get me wrong - The risk is anything Flip would say could undermine Tubby. Maybe the player(s) thinks Flip is a big time NBA coach, which he is of course, I'm going to do it Flip's way. I think Flip has done the best thing possible in simply endorsing what Tubby is doing and complimenting him so much. That should carry a lot of weight with the players and hopefully recruits as well.

Just my two cents. :)

I sometimes think that the only time some Gopher fans will let go of the idea of having Flip coach (including as an Assistant Coach) the Gophers is when Flip is dead and buried.

I like Flip. A lot. I thought he was treated unfairly when his tenure with the Wolves got cut short. I thought Detroit made a bad decision when they fired him.

But we have an excellent coach in Tubby Smith ... and the idea of having two coaches trying to co-exist like Tubby and Flip would need to in this scenario is, well, absurd.

Tubby is the coach. Having Flip there as an assistant isn't a worthwhile use of Flip's time and would just create confusion. We have to let go, folks! :rolleyes:

Having Flip there as an assistant isn't a worthwhile use of Flip's time and would just create confusion. QUOTE]

WHile I agree with the rest of your post, I don't agree with the "worthwhile use" part. Putting myself in Flip's shoes (which are much more expensive than mine), if my son were trying to follow in my footsteps in a job that I loved, and there was anything I could do to help him, including being another set of eyes at practice with the blessing of the head coach, and I had so much money I never needed to work another day in my life, I would find being at practice an extremely worthwhile use of my time.

Thanks to all who responded and/or replied to my original question. Lots of good points made here. Thanks again, all. Dr.Don

I heard Flip on KFAN a few weeks ago and if I remember correctly he said he attends Gopher practices quite often. I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure I remember hearing this.

Having a vet like Flip around practice can't hurt.

Thanks to all who responded and/or replied to my original question. Lots of good points made here. Thanks again, all. Dr.Don

Ya guys whats going on these arguements shouldn't be based on logic and reason. They need to based on emotion. And if that fails personal attacks against each other. We need to step it up.

I'm just joking about that but this has been one of the better threads we have had lately. Good logic and reason. Good work everyone. MNBoiler

Top Bottom