Justin Cobbs tranferring from Minnesota

KyGopherfan

Reaction score
Just came down a bit ago...should be more news later. Another scholly just opened up.

Please please please come here Cory.

Yikes, the lack of depth at the PG position could be very scary. If Nolen doesn't come back and we lose out on lil' Joseph, we are in trouble. I wonder if they'll go after Brust hard now.

Maybe he already is for sure... Cobbs found out... so he's leaving???

What was everyone's most memorable Justin Cobbs moment? Hmmm, that is a tough one to answer. Swing and a miss on that one, maybe there is another option. It may look better for Joseph coming here now that there are fewer options at his position, that is if he even considered Cobbs competition for minutes at PG?

Myron put a qualifier in his tweet just posted:

"Justin Cobbs "probably" leaving Gophers, according to source close to the team."

Go Gophers!!

I liked Cobbs, very solid PG and he could develop into a really good one. As for the poster asking for the most memorable moment, memorable moments are the last thing you need from a freshman PG because they are usually deadly turnovers.

I wish Cobbs would stay but if Cory Joseph comes, all will be well. Even if he doesn't it's far from the end of the world. Devoe and Nolen will be good and Hoff can step in if necessary...not the best handler but has very good vision. Maybe even Bryant Allen?

I liked Cobbs, very solid PG and he could develop into a really good one. As for the poster asking for the most memorable moment, memorable moments are the last thing you need from a freshman PG because they are usually deadly turnovers.

What games were you watching? Cobbs didn't look solid in the slightest. He looked like a freshman that was way in over his head when he was out on the floor.

Cobbs has very good athleticism and strength. Yea he wasn't ready to run the team last year but he clearly had some potential. He played nervous all year long but he had a nice looking J and some decent quickness. He would've been a good one by his junior year

Cobbs

Cobbs has some talent he is not Rico Tucker...

Cobb has handles.. He is strong and finished some plays driving to the hoop something Al Nolan has yet to do in 3 years. He was a frosh but did some decent things.. I trusted Cobbs having the ball in his hands at the end of the year more then Rodney Williams...

Cobbs will have a nice career somewhere I wish him luck. If he doesnt want to be here thats his loss.

I thought he'd at least wait until Cory decided before leaving. If Cory doesn't come, he'd have been in line for significant minutes next year and a possible starting job in 2012. Now, we will be hurting big-time at PG if we can't land Cory. Tubby may have to convert B. Allen to full-time basketball.

I was never a fan of Cobbs' constant pouting, that said, he could develop into a good player by his jr/sr year. I wish him luck wherever he goes. LBSU? Monson has never found a transfer he didn't like.

He obviously knows something is up, because he is foolish to leave a Big Ten school where he would see a lot of PT. Hope this means CoJo is coming to Minnesota.

Cobbs

I, like some, saw a lot of potential in Cobbs. He made freshman mistakes at times, but seemed to really understand the flow of games and when to push and pull back. Very much so a pass first guy. Just what you'd want from your PG. If true, I wish him well where ever he may land.

I thought he'd at least wait until Cory decided before leaving. If Cory doesn't come, he'd have been in line for significant minutes next year and a possible starting job in 2012. Now, we will be hurting big-time at PG if we can't land Cory. Tubby may have to convert B. Allen to full-time basketball.

Maybe he did. Maybe he knows something that we don't know yet. I'm sorry to see him leave, but if he's going to go then hopefully it's because he got news that Cory is coming.

im guessing this means a six man recruiting class. Alot of new faces for the team next year

The staff may have good vibes on Cory Joseph, hence the transfer. I think Justin was waiting to find about Cory before officially transferring. I don't blame the kid. He would be low in the depth chart if Cory comes. But I have to say, that this may be a harbinger of good news to come.

I'm sorry to see him leave, but if he's going to go then hopefully it's because he got news that Cory is coming.

I also wish him well and hope he's successful where ever he lands.

Hopefully, it's because he got news of Cory coming. Although, Bryant Allen was carted off the football field recent when he was injured during practice. Maybe Allen decided to play basketball fulltime?

He was garbage, best of luck at a level you can better compete Cobbs.

He was garbage, best of luck at a level you can better compete Cobbs.

Saying he was garbage is a bit harsh. I think some people, especially nowadays, have these unreal expectations for freshmen because they see these John Walls, Kevin Durants, Derrick Roses etc etc. He was decent for a freshman, obviously room for improvement but you could say that for every player.

Myron's take:

The Gophers men's basketball team will likely lose its second player this month.

Justin Cobbs will "probably" transfer, a person familiar with the situation told the Star Tribune Thursday.

Scout.com reported Thursday that Cobbs will transfer to a school that's closer to his home in California.

Cobbs, who averaged 2.1 points in 10.7 minutes per game as a freshman during the 2009-10 season, never seemed comfortable in Tubby Smith's system.

Plus, the Gophers have been searching for another point guard. The Gophers hope to sign Findlay Prep star Cory Joseph in the coming days.

Even if Joseph doesn't sign, Al Nolen will resume his role as starting point guard, assuming he fixes his academic issues. And the team won't hesitate to put Devoe Joseph at the point guard position, especially after he excelled down the stretch. There aren't a lot of scenarios that give Cobbs more minutes next season.

A person familiar with the situation said the Gophers are still pursuing Oto Osenieks, a 6-9 forward from Brehm Prep in Carbondale, Ill., and Michael Haynes, a 6-6 forward from Heat Academy in Martinsville, Va. Haynes is a two-star player on scout.com. Osenieks is not rated on either rivals.com or scout.com, but he's considered a late bloomer who landed on the radar following solid performances on the international scene.

Osenieks, who is originally from Latvia, will visit Minnesota Friday, according to a person familiar with the situation.

Paul Carter, a junior forward who was expected to play a major role next season, recently decided to transfer to be closer to his little sister, who is currently battling cancer in Chicago.

The Gophers have used three scholarships, after three players exhausted their eligibility, on this season's recruiting class (Elliott Eliason, Austin Hollins and Mo Walker). The team has three more scholarships to use, after the departures of Royce White, Carter and Cobbs. Signing Joseph would leave two scholarships open.

Via Twitter and Facebook, Cobbs, a former Bishop Montgomery (Torrance, Calif.) star, talked about feeling homesick and wanting to leave Minnesota.

I figured he was on his way out the day before the Gophers lost to Xavier in the NCAA tournament last month.

While reporters talked to Minnesota players in their locker room, usually a great experience for young guys, Cobbs frowned while sitting on his stool. Didn't look like he wanted to be there, even though that was his first experience in the Big Dance. And I've sensed that vibe from him all season. My guess is that both parties will be happy with a transfer.

Now, the bigger questions. Should you be worried? Maybe.

There's still a chance that the Gophers will lock up Joseph and solidify their third consecutive nationally ranked recruiting class. But even if the prep star signs, the Gophers will need depth, the cornerstone of Smith's system.

Carter would have played a lot of minutes next season. Cobbs would have still played a reserve role, but he knows Smith's system, something Joseph will need time to comprehend, regardless of how good he is.

Nolen is expected to play next year, but he has to clear some academic hurdles.

Trevor Mbakwe will go to trial for a felony assault charge in June. Mbakwe is one of the most important players on the team right now. And the Gophers don't know if they'll have him for the 2010-11 season.

When I asked a person familiar with the situation about the possibility that White will return, he said, "Royce doesn't want to be a ball player."

And now, the young guys will have to contribute early. Eliason, Walker, Hollins and anyone else the team signs will have to be prepared to play next season.

This is going to be an interesting offseason. Wait a minute ... this is an interesting offseason.

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/52614957.html

Go Gophers!!

Myron put a qualifier in his tweet just posted:

"Justin Cobbs "probably" leaving Gophers, according to source close to the team."

Go Gophers!!

To me, the "probably" qualifier that Myron added makes this pretty simple. If Cory Joseph signs with the Gophers, then Justin Cobbs is headed elsewhere.

I also wish him well and hope he's successful where ever he lands.

Hopefully, it's because he got news of Cory coming. Although, Bryant Allen was carted off the football field recent when he was injured during practice. Maybe Allen decided to play basketball fulltime?

Are you serious? Why would Allen give up a full football scholarship to be a walk-on on the basketball team where he is nothing more than a warm body for practice?

I for one was impressed with Cobbs as a freshman, especially with the relative poise he had during Big 10 season. Was he a scorer? No. Flashy? Not really. But as someone noted earlier, I trusted him with the ball, and he was a decent game manager, which I like. I thought he had a solid career here ahead of him, if he stayed.

Additionally, to all those who are reading way too far into this and thinking that CoJo's decision is the deciding factor in this...let's just remember there were hints he was going to transfer quite awhile ago, this isn't something that just happened in the last few days. While it'd be great if Devoe had told Cobbs privately that CoJo was coming here, I doubt that that was the case. CoJo has been as tight lipped as anyone about the recruiting/decision process, so I don't think he would let it leak, or let Devoe leak it to Cobbs.

Are you serious? Why would Allen give up a full football scholarship to be a walk-on on the basketball team where he is nothing more than a warm body for practice?

You could argue that the only reason he was nothing more than a warm body for practice was because he played football.

It's still extremely unlikely he would give up the football spot.

From Marcus' tweet:

"Gophers have to go after former Iowa recruit Ben Brust if they don't get Cory Joseph, but there really isn't anything else out there."

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom