Will Cory Joseph be a Gopher?

• Yes

Votes: 92 56.1%
  • No

Votes: 72 43.9%

• Total voters

GopherLady

Reaction score
Just interested to think what Gopher fans think of our chances. Keep in mind, the question is not if you want him to be a Gopher (that's obvious), it's what you realistically think. I would break it down by school, but let's be honest, if he doesn't come here, it really doesn't matter where he goes!

I would be more worried if he were choosing between some other programs, but Rick Barnes eats Tubby dust. There's not a coach in the country who has done less with more. I'll give him that he's put some guys in the league, but so has a bunch of other coaches, including Tubby. And Tubby also recruited and coached Rondo and look at him now. Villanova would make more sense, but apparently, the program is in turmoil right now, so not sure how appealing that would be.

Cory keeps referring to the fact that he wants to go to a place where he feels the most comfortable w/the staff and players. So going off that alone, I can't imagine a more comfortable place than the U for him. I think he chooses the Gophers!

I want Cory at the U, but I think he would've committed already if he really wanted to be here. I think he played it cool and watched where to chips fell in regards to early draft entries and where other key recruits committed. I believe we are his fall-back option. That said, I see us at #3 with him behind Villanova and Texas. Jay Wright, Philadelphia, minutes available due to departures, and a guard friendly offense where he could shine makes sense, and Texas with the hype surrounding the program and their recruiting classes, the Canadian pipeline of elite talent heading there makes sense too.

Hope I'm wrong, but I think he would have already signed or committed if he wanted to play here.

84% of the experts in the PG poll picked Minnesota. Seems almost certain to happen.

If Cory's only priority was going to a school that was going to immediately put him in the national spotlight and prepare him for the NBA as quickly as possible, I think he would have considered Kentucky for a little bit longer than he did (which was maybe a couple of days, if at all). I think the fact that he disregarded them so quickly proves that he is considering other things than just that, which leads me to believe that we have at least as much of a chance as anyone. I'll bet he follows his brother and newly committed friend.

I want Cory at the U, but I think he would've committed already if he really wanted to be here. I think he played it cool and watched where to chips fell in regards to early draft entries and where other key recruits committed. I believe we are his fall-back option. That said, I see us at #3 with him behind Villanova and Texas. Jay Wright, Philadelphia, minutes available due to departures, and a guard friendly offense where he could shine makes sense, and Texas with the hype surrounding the program and their recruiting classes, the Canadian pipeline of elite talent heading there makes sense too.

Hope I'm wrong, but I think he would have already signed or committed if he wanted to play here.

I'm going to use your logic for a moment:

I want Cory to play D1 basketball, but I think he would have committed somewhere already if he really wanted to do that. I think D1 basketball just isn't appealing enough to him, so he's going to play D2 basketball instead. I mean come on, if he was going to play D1 he would have committed somewhere already, so I highly doubt that is his true intention.

Would people please stop using this as an argument about why Cory wont sign here? You could say that about every prospect so just stop.

I want Cory to play D1 basketball, but I think he would have committed somewhere already if he really wanted to do that. I think D1 basketball just isn't appealing enough to him, so he's going to play D2 basketball instead. I mean come on, if he was going to play D1 he would have committed somewhere already, so I highly doubt that is his true intention.

I also think if he wanted to commit to a D1 program he would have 5 years ago, why the hold up? I think he will give up basketball altogether and pursue a rap career like a certain basketball player and a certain offensive lineman's father

Would people please stop using this as an argument about why Cory wont sign here? You could say that about every prospect so just stop.

We are the dark horse in the equation, UNLV is a polite gesture, considering the other three are top 10 programs. He's a five star recruit looking at a school that's squeaked into the last two tournaments. It only makes sense if it's because his brother is here and the family likes Coach Smith.

I can't think of a more heralded prospect from outside of the region to commit here since maybe Mychal Thompson.

I also think if he wanted to commit to a D1 program he would have 5 years ago, why the hold up? I think he will give up basketball altogether and pursue a rap career like a certain basketball player and a certain offensive lineman's father

That's why I think he will come to MN, if he shows up now he can have 3-4 solid months in the studio with Sean and who knows about Royce.

I only know how I would feel. I would have a very hard time passing up a chance to play with my brother. Especially knowing that if Devoe has to play P.G. there is little chance of him cracking the big time in this game. At 2-guard he has a fighting chance. Add playing for Tubby and the signing of Mo, and Minnesota would be the choice for me. I would be thinking, play two years with my brother then maybe leave with him for the pros. I say YES !

I completely see AKGopher's point - it's not like this is any recruit, this is a recruit that is very familiar with the program. Plus, he was done with his visits in December, so it's not like he still has other schools to visit. I would just think the chances that he would commit earlier to a program he knows so well, would be more likely that committed early to schools that he visited for 2 days.

Brilliant! Sean can lay down the beats and be on the one's and the two's and then Royce can produce the music videos. Maybe Walker Lee Ashley can be a body guard and Kevin Whaley can throw the nine's in the air.

I completely see AKGopher's point - it's not like this is any recruit, this is a recruit that is very familiar with the program. Plus, he was done with his visits in December, so it's not like he still has other schools to visit. I would just think the chances that he would commit earlier to a program he knows so well, would be more likely that committed early to schools that he visited for 2 days.

You make a good point. I understand what you two are saying, but I guess I just don't think that we are doomed simply because he hasn't committed anywhere yet. I still think he will get more playing time at Minnesota, not to mention all the other obvious things we have going in our favor. Maybe the signing of Walker makes the decision a little easier for him.

You make a good point. I understand what you two are saying, but I guess I just don't think that we are doomed simply because he hasn't committed anywhere yet. I still think he will get more playing time at Minnesota, not to mention all the other obvious things we have going in our favor. Maybe the signing of Walker makes the decision a little easier for him.

I don't think so either - and I do respect him for making a well thought out decision. He is clearly weighing out all of his choices - and he focused on his season, instead of just the next level.

Just remember, for every report that says Texas or Nova, that's what happened with Seantrel too - many wrote that he was a lock for OSU 2 days before signing day.

We are the dark horse in the equation, UNLV is a polite gesture, considering the other three are top 10 programs. He's a five star recruit looking at a school that's squeaked into the last two tournaments. It only makes sense if it's because his brother is here and the family likes Coach Smith.

I can't think of a more heralded prospect from outside of the region to commit here since maybe Mychal Thompson.

Good post. My thoughts exactly.

Good post. My thoughts exactly.

PG Darryl Mitchell from Florida was the number one ranked HS player when Dutcher recruited him. Thompson actually was not nearly as highly rated coming out of HS as Mark Olberding in his same class. I'm pretty sure Thompson had a big growing streak his HS Senior year to grow to about 6-10. Thompson was more like a top 50 kid.

If we get Cory, he would be the highest rated out of state recruit we've gotten since Darryl Mitchell who was a consensus top 5 recruit and some had him as the #1 recruit in the nation.

Go Gophers!!

I think we have a lot going for us. Would Cory be the best point guard in the Big 10 next year? Probably.

He has family here. I don't care what's being published. Mom and dad are highly involved in his choice.

With the strength of the other Big 10 recruiting classes next year, as a conference, we should be ultra tough and great place to show off his skills.

For me at least, I can't underestimate the value of having Tubby, Devoe, and now Walker here for Cory. Surely, the Walkers and the Josephs, know each other and will likely be greatly reassured that their sons have a solid coach and will be in good hands from a parental perspective.

Yes, I acknowledge a few assumptions on my part. But, with everyone talking about how this will solely be Cory's decision is silly to me. It's not.

Based on nothing really, I'm going to say yes on this one. I do think it would be a great fit for all parties concerned.

(But it really comes down to this, either you really do or you really don't want to play with your brother. And nothing wrong with either preferrence)

bga

PG Darryl Mitchell from Florida was the number one ranked HS player when Dutcher recruited him. Thompson actually was not nearly as highly rated coming out of HS as Mark Olberding in his same class. I'm pretty sure Thompson had a big growing streak his HS Senior year to grow to about 6-10. Thompson was more like a top 50 kid.

Minor point Beeg. Wasn't Mitchell a SG ? I think the late Mark Hall was the PG in that recruiting class.

Thompson, Mitchell, Hall

Minor point Beeg. Wasn't Mitchell a SG ? I think the late Mark Hall was the PG in that recruiting class.

It was my memory as well that Thompson was not nearly as highly rated a recruit and outperformed his rating as a college player.

Mitchell was part of the highest rated Gopher recruting class ever and was the number one player in the nation by some accounts. His early career was not dominating and as I recall one of the reasons is that he was a forward in high school and played guard in college and that transtion was more difficult than anticpated. He ended up being a great player and a great guy but his career started slowly.

Hall was the point guard in the group and a darn good one. He may have been the surprise of the group.

It was my memory as well that Thompson was not nearly as highly rated a recruit and outperformed his rating as a college player.

Mitchell was part of the highest rated Gopher recruting class ever and was the number one player in the nation by some accounts. His early career was not dominating and as I recall one of the reasons is that he was a forward in high school and played guard in college and that transtion was more difficult than anticpated. He ended up being a great player and a great guy but his career started slowly.

Hall was the point guard in the group and a darn good one. He may have been the surprise of the group.

Perhaps you are right about Mitchell. Hall was on his way to being a terrific point guard- fantastic finisher on drives to the bucket but a theft charge got him kicked off the team. I thought Mitchell ended up at the point his last few years with Tucker at the 2G. Not sure.

Rautins & Stallings?

Wasn't Leo Rautins part of that class as well? Had a really good freshman year for the Gophers before transferring to Syracuse. And in that same class wasn't Dutch in on Kevin Stallings (Collinsville, Ill.) before he ended up at Belleville Junior College and then Purdue?

Wasn't Leo Rautins part of that class as well? Had a really good freshman year for the Gophers before transferring to Syracuse. And in that same class wasn't Dutch in on Kevin Stallings (Collinsville, Ill.) before he ended up at Belleville Junior College and then Purdue?

He was - along with Cookie Holmes. Dutcher played the 6-6 Rautins at the point some as well. Stallings verballed and maybe even signed and then backed out IIRC.

bga

Perhaps you are right about Mitchell. Hall was on his way to being a terrific point guard- fantastic finisher on drives to the bucket but a theft charge got him kicked off the team. I thought Mitchell ended up at the point his last few years with Tucker at the 2G. Not sure.

I believe you are correct regarding DM winding up at the point when Hall got the boot. DM was great his senior year and is one of my personal all-time faves.

Nice backcourt with DM and Trent Tucker!

Top Bottom