New Big Ten Rumors

TheHofferette

Reaction score
per the Marquette Scout men's hoops board:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=415&f=2850&t=5831307

the "Homer" mentioned is the Marquette radio play-by-play guy Steve "The Homer" True, who has his own sports radio show, which I believe has just a local Milwaukee following.

I don't know if a "superconference" is a good thing...then again, if that's the way conferences are going, probably better to do it first and get the schools we would want. I can't wait to see what actually shakes out and compare it to the endless speculation.

here is another link w/ another perspective, per the Pitt Panther Digest board:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=141&f=2455&t=5824713

From the Pitt Panther message board regarding Pitt being added to the Big Ten...I don't get very pumped up to see that Northwestern, Indiana or Minnesota matchup on the schedule...

Hey what's this suppose to mean?

I didn't read the boards but I'm assuming the implication is Pitt and/or Marquette. I see no way Marquette is chosen and it isn't even worth discussing the reasons. On Pitt, while it seems like an obivious option to the average observer I think the reality is that there is little chance Pitt is the addition (assuming there is only 1). Make no mistake about it, the consultants the Big Ten have hired are looking in to money and it isn't just about adding a championship game because adding any 12th football team accomplishes that goal. The real money is in expanding the footprint of the Big Ten Network. It is too bad for Pitt that Penn State already carries the Pittsburgh market which means adding Pitt is dilutive to the rest of the teams in the conference because it doesn't add an additional market to offset splitting the current revenue 12 ways instead of 11.

no, the link is not about Marquette joining the Big Ten...it is a discussion of the Big East teams that are being talked about and while Pitt is one of the teams talked about, that link also is a discussion re: the Big Ten and who is joining.

From FIFTY years ago.

What's the difference? I wasn't aware that more recent championships are weighted more heavily.

Or are you invoking the "things that happened before my lifetime don't matter" clause?

Since your conception happened before your lifetime, I agree with that clause in your case. I'm sure most of the people that know you wish that that hadn't happened, either.

Top Bottom