question about royce and williams

Goldteam

Banned
Reaction score
do they put the ball on the floor and attack the basket well?

and what are their strengths and weaknesses?

do they shoot well and have any range?

I have never seen them play........are they high fliers like I am sensing and hearing?

Section 201....If they can't Tubby will make sure they learn how!!!! Nuff said.

Yup.

Nuff said.

Still I wonder if anyone has seen them play enough to get a feel for their defensive skills.

I've never watched them play, only seen the highlights. But from what other posters have said, Rodney Williams is athletic and plays great D. Not a great shooter, but is freakishly athletic.

I don't know much else about them, except they are highly rated Minnesota recruits and will be GOPHERS next year!!

Go Gophers!!

Right now, people seem to believe that Royce is the higher skilled player while Rodney is the more athletic player.

Based on film clips I've seen of both, that sounds about right. But we'll all know a lot more about these guys when they arrive on campus in the Fall.

One thing I can say with a certain amount of certainty however is that Williams can absolutely sky!!!! We haven't had a high riser like him in quite awhile

Royce is very polished for his age. Great handles for his size and can pretty much score at will if he chooses too. Not an amazing shooter, but very skilled and has very good size with above average athleticism. Yes, he can play D too.

do they put the ball on the floor and attack the basket well?

and what are their strengths and weaknesses?

do they shoot well and have any range?

I have never seen them play........are they high fliers like I am sensing and hearing?

As already stated, royce is very polished for a high school player, good post game and can defend.

Rodney has incredible athleticism - incredible. Can handle alright, and defends well. Still has a very thin frame.

Haven't watched Royce this season, but I saw him a few times before he was suspended last year. Not much D in his game. Hopefully he learns a bit this season at Hopkins.

Williams is very athletic, but extremely thin. He's playing out of position at post in HS, so it's hard to tell how his game will translate to college. I've seen some his highlight videos, and it's exciting to watch, but I didn't see that same flair in games that I saw.

Hopefully their time at the U will prove this skeptic wrong.....

No one said they have to be ready immediately...

Haven't watched Royce this season, but I saw him a few times before he was suspended last year. Not much D in his game. Hopefully he learns a bit this season at Hopkins.

Williams is very athletic, but extremely thin. He's playing out of position at post in HS, so it's hard to tell how his game will translate to college. I've seen some his highlight videos, and it's exciting to watch, but I didn't see that same flair in games that I saw.

Hopefully their time at the U will prove this skeptic wrong.....

Given their ratings, more than one person believe that they will be OK in college B-ball. The good news for us is that, from the looks of things, they won't be required to contribute immediately. There is lots of existing talent on this team, so Royce and Rodney will have time to work on things, improve and work their way into the rotation.

What a good problem to have!

Thinking about next year is a bit scary. Replacing Payton, Williams and Busch (?) with Mbake, White and Royce and how deep do we become? It's possible that people like Blake & even Westbrook may not get many minutes.

Blake and Westbrook will be getting PLENTY of minutes next year. Without a doubt.

Thinking about next year is a bit scary. Replacing Payton, Williams and Busch (?) with Mbake, White and Royce and how deep do we become? It's possible that people like Blake & even Westbrook may not get many minutes.

Busch is a junior, if I'm not mistaken, but maybe you meant JAS.

Westbrook is our leading scorer and he and Hoffarber are leaned on at the END of close games by Tubby, thus that should tell you all you need to know about what Tubby thinks of them both. The new guys will get minutes, but likely not at much expense of Westbrook and Hoff, IMO.

Busch is a junior, if I'm not mistaken, but maybe you meant JAS.

Westbrook is our leading scorer and he and Hoffarber are leaned on at the END of close games by Tubby, thus that should tell you all you need to know about what Tubby thinks of them both. The new guys will get minutes, but likely not at much expense of Westbrook and Hoff, IMO.

Yeah--right on all counts. I keep thinking about how much more we'll be able to press next year with the athleticism of Royce/Rodney compared to Jon/Jamal. I don't know what our record will be, but I suspect teams may not enjoy playing us.

It'll be interesting to see who gets minutes next year. They're losing exactly 0 of their top 10 players in my estimation and adding at least 3 potential impact players. I definitely think the newcomers will have to earn their minutes ala Bostick and Carter this year. Royce has a very polished offensive game, but will have to improve his defense and rebounding to get on the floor. Rodney still has a long way to go with his ball skills, but I can definitely see him being an impact defender early on. Mbakwe looks like he's going to be a beast on the glass. We will also be adding Justin Cobbs and apparently this Bryant Allen kid to push Devoe for minutes at the point. This should be far and away be the deepest Gopher team ever.

Is Allen for sure (75% chance or higher) playing basketball? Or is this just being bantered around because he is a star in high school? I feel like he probably wouldn't make the push to be a two sport athlete if he wasn't going to be guaranteed big minutes in basketball.

It will be hard to keep the newcomers off the floor next year, but it could take Trevor and RW^2 time to adjust to the college game. The minutes we gain from Jamal and Jon leaving aren't going to be enough to feed the newcomers. I'm guessing we'll see a whole lot of balance in minutes again.

Tubby is going to have a great problem figuring out how to ration minutes next year. One thing it will do is keep everyone working their butts off in practice to avoid losing the minutes they are getting. Hopefully that translates to intensity on the court as well.

Cobbs will redshirt without a doubt.

Seeing how redshirting is extremely rare in CBB these days I highly doubt the knowledge of someone who says anybody other than an extremely raw prospect will redshirt 'without a doubt'.

I am a bit concerned about not having enough basketballs for the talent coming in, but know that Tubby is a great coach and has probably dealt with this problem in the past. Great problem to have.

One thing it will do is keep everyone working their butts off in practice to avoid losing the minutes they are getting. Hopefully that translates to intensity on the court as well.

Excellent point.

I would be fine with Carter or Rodney Williams redshirting as they are in the most need of significant weight/muscle gain.

Carter can't redshirt, and considering the type of player Carter is, he doesn't need any weight holding him down.

Funny how things have changed in two years

In the Monson era we often wondered how many of our starters would be able to play elsewhere. It seemed like our bench was often mid-major (at best) and often didn't even seem D1. Two years later and we're wondering where the next group of incoming studs are going to find minutes. We should have about a dozen guys able to contribute next year, and if they are young and inexperienced and don't get a lot of floor time, just think of how they will be developing in practice. Practices will be battles. Talk about breathing life back into a hoops program. I still pinch myself, finding it hard to believe we really have Tubby at the helm.
Go Gophs.

I don't foresee Mbakwe (spelling?) taking all that long to adjust to the college level, as pointed out earlier. He had a full season at a big time Big East school, so I think his learning curve will be significantly shorter than the other incoming recruits, or even the JUCO players this year.

Mbakwe didn't play alot last year but wasn't he hurt for a good part of the year? I could be wrong but I seem to remember something like that.

Mbakwe didn't play alot last year but wasn't he hurt for a good part of the year? I could be wrong but I seem to remember something like that.
He was hurt, and I think he only appeared in something like 10 games.

Top Bottom