Marucs Fuller: I don't know how media can report kids signing without quoting them

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Marcus Fuller: I don't know how media can report kids signing without quoting them

This is interesting - Marcus is using a few Walker quotes where he isn't as committed as Fox's Jeff Goodman makes it out to appear and in doing so, Marcus is critical of people who don't have direct quotes from the kid. Is this the same Marcus that teamed up with Seth Davis and created the firestorm of unsubstantiated (or without direct quotes) of the Tubby to Oregon story?

Anyway, Jerry Meyer of Rivals says that if we get both Canadians we'll have a top 15-20 class:

Can Tubby land another top 20 recruiting class?
By Marcus Fuller on April 12, 2010

Tubby Smith has a two-member 2010 recruiting class that currently ranks near the bottom Big Ten, but it might not stay there if he adds the two players he wants.

The Gophers basketball coach could still finish with at least a top 20 class this year if he lands Findlay Prep (Nev.) guard Cory Joseph and Brewster Academy (N.H.) center Mo Walker, according to Rivals.com recruiting expert Jerry Meyer.

But Smith obviously has to mainly get Joseph, the third best point guard and seventh best player nationally by Rivals.com.

"If Minnesota gets both those guys, then that's probably a top 15-20 class," Meyer said. "Cory Joseph carries a lot of weight. Walker, (Elliott) Eliason and (Austin) Hollins are very good three-star players. It would put them right there with Purdue in the Big Ten (currently No. 19 nationally and No. 4 in the Big Ten)."

The 6-foot-10, 300-pound Walker could sign with Minnesota on the first day of the late signing period Wednesday, but he hasn't officially committed yet. Joseph's timetable is uncertain. He's been saying he would likely make a decision when he was done playing. His last game is Saturday in the Jordan Brand Classic at Madison Square Garden.

Meyer spoke to Joseph today, but he didn't get any indication of where the Canada native was going to sign. Joseph only told Meyer that he would decide after the Jordan game.

"I can't get anything out of him," Meyer said. "I think he might surprise (even his mom) with the choice."

Villanova and Texas are probably recruiting Joseph the hardest. Minnesota is right there, but Smith isn't as aggressive as Nova coach Jay Wright and Longhorns coach Rick Barnes.

Of course, Smith also has Cory's brother, Devoe, and Walker helping to recruit, as well. I'm not entirely convinced as of now that Cory will pick Minnesota, but it will probably be a close call.

-- There aren't many good college big men that weigh 300 pounds. The only player I can think of even near that size last season was Texas center Dexter Pittman. He is 6-10 and played pretty effectively at 290 pounds.

Meyer said Walker wasn't as athletic as Pittman, but had a similar skill set. Pittman became a productive center for Texas after his sophomore season when he lost a bunch of weight and worked on his conditioning.

"He doesn't get off the floor as well," Meyer said about Walker. "He might be a poor man's version of Pittman."

-- Walker told GopherIllustrated.com Monday that the trip was "relaxing." That being said, I don't think there's anything standing in the way of him becoming a Gopher. But you never know. He also told GopherIllustrated.com Monday night that he wasn't sure of his decision yet.

There are reports he will sign, but they don't quote Walker. He said he's still waiting.

"I'm still waiting and considering my other options but Minnesota is up there," Walker told GopherIllustrated.com. "Pittsburgh is still in consideration, Marquette is still under consideration, all the schools I was considering before I am still considering now. So, I am just waiting to make my decision some time soon."

"I'm not 100 percent," he added. "I can't tell people what I'm going to do in case I might not do it because that would mean I'm backing out on my word."

-- I don't know how media can report kids are signing without actually quoting them. At least in that case you're covered. Even then, kids change their minds so easily. There was a story once that a kid actually faxed his letter of intent to the school using the wrong number. After he was told it didn't go through, he ended up changing his mind. Crazy stuff.

-- Ohio State (No. 2), Michigan State (No. 6) and Illinois (No. 10) will likely remain on top the Big Ten's 2010 recruiting class rankings after the late signing period. Purdue is done recruiting, so the Gophers have a chance to pass the Boilermakers. Minnesota is currently ranked No. 9 by Rivals.com.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2010/04/can-tubby-land-another-top-20.html

Go Gophers!!

many on this board certainly believe Fox's Jeff Goodman more than they believe a direct quote from the kid saying "I'm not 100 percent,".

That quote doesn't sound like he is a definite to sign here.

That quote was from before he decided. He has since made up his mind. Marcus is getting lazy.

That quote was from before he decided. He has since made up his mind. Marcus is getting lazy.

Marcus just tweeted this a minute ago:

"Reports are saying Mo Walker will sign with Gophs. I heard same thing, but he told GI.com he hasn't decided, still considering others. Hmm."

Go Gophers!!

As an aside, is Walker really only a three star recruit? a 92 Scouts Grade on ESPN, I thought he might be higher than that...

I suspect if Walker signs with the Gophers but Joseph does not, all the excitement about Walker's pending arrival will go down about 20 pegs. Joseph is the only one in this recruiting class that would stir the masses (the Average Joe). Joseph would be a real shot in the arm in terms of the average fan looking forward to next season. Without Joseph, Walker's just another freshman recruit that we'll rave about simply because he signed with us.

I suspect if Walker signs with the Gophers but Joseph does not, all the excitement about Walker's pending arrival will go down about 20 pegs. Joseph is the only one in this recruiting class that would stir the masses (the Average Joe). Joseph would be a real shot in the arm in terms of the average fan looking forward to next season. Without Joseph, Walker's just another freshman recruit that we'll rave about simply because he signed with us.

As Lee Corso would say, "not so fast, my friend"...I think any time you land the 9th ranked center in the country (to put it in perspective, I believe I saw Ralph and Colton were in the mid twenties and thirties respectively), you've got to feel good about where you're at. Joseph would certainly be an incredible get for this program, but this isn't something to be scoffed at. It puts us in good position to potentially get Joseph, but at the same time it now gives us 4 guys who are 6'10" or taller, and more importantly gives us even MORE depth at C/PF.

As an aside, is Walker really only a three star recruit? a 92 Scouts Grade on ESPN, I thought he might be higher than that...

92 on ESPN Scouts Inc falls just outside Top 100.

Typically 5 Star = Top 25, 4 Star = Top 75, and 3 Star = Top 150.

This is interesting - Marcus is using a few Walker quotes where he isn't as committed as Fox's Jeff Goodman makes it out to appear and in doing so, Marcus is critical of people who don't have direct quotes from the kid. Is this the same Marcus that teamed up with Seth Davis and created the firestorm of unsubstantiated (or without direct quotes) of the Tubby to Oregon story?

Anyway, Jerry Meyer of Rivals says that if we get both Canadians we'll have a top 15-20 class:

Can Tubby land another top 20 recruiting class?
By Marcus Fuller on April 12, 2010

Tubby Smith has a two-member 2010 recruiting class that currently ranks near the bottom Big Ten, but it might not stay there if he adds the two players he wants.

The Gophers basketball coach could still finish with at least a top 20 class this year if he lands Findlay Prep (Nev.) guard Cory Joseph and Brewster Academy (N.H.) center Mo Walker, according to Rivals.com recruiting expert Jerry Meyer.

But Smith obviously has to mainly get Joseph, the third best point guard and seventh best player nationally by Rivals.com.

"If Minnesota gets both those guys, then that's probably a top 15-20 class," Meyer said. "Cory Joseph carries a lot of weight. Walker, (Elliott) Eliason and (Austin) Hollins are very good three-star players. It would put them right there with Purdue in the Big Ten (currently No. 19 nationally and No. 4 in the Big Ten)."

The 6-foot-10, 300-pound Walker could sign with Minnesota on the first day of the late signing period Wednesday, but he hasn't officially committed yet. Joseph's timetable is uncertain. He's been saying he would likely make a decision when he was done playing. His last game is Saturday in the Jordan Brand Classic at Madison Square Garden.

Meyer spoke to Joseph today, but he didn't get any indication of where the Canada native was going to sign. Joseph only told Meyer that he would decide after the Jordan game.

"I can't get anything out of him," Meyer said. "I think he might surprise (even his mom) with the choice."

Villanova and Texas are probably recruiting Joseph the hardest. Minnesota is right there, but Smith isn't as aggressive as Nova coach Jay Wright and Longhorns coach Rick Barnes.

Of course, Smith also has Cory's brother, Devoe, and Walker helping to recruit, as well. I'm not entirely convinced as of now that Cory will pick Minnesota, but it will probably be a close call.

-- There aren't many good college big men that weigh 300 pounds. The only player I can think of even near that size last season was Texas center Dexter Pittman. He is 6-10 and played pretty effectively at 290 pounds.

Meyer said Walker wasn't as athletic as Pittman, but had a similar skill set. Pittman became a productive center for Texas after his sophomore season when he lost a bunch of weight and worked on his conditioning.

"He doesn't get off the floor as well," Meyer said about Walker. "He might be a poor man's version of Pittman."

-- Walker told GopherIllustrated.com Monday that the trip was "relaxing." That being said, I don't think there's anything standing in the way of him becoming a Gopher. But you never know. He also told GopherIllustrated.com Monday night that he wasn't sure of his decision yet.

There are reports he will sign, but they don't quote Walker. He said he's still waiting.

"I'm still waiting and considering my other options but Minnesota is up there," Walker told GopherIllustrated.com. "Pittsburgh is still in consideration, Marquette is still under consideration, all the schools I was considering before I am still considering now. So, I am just waiting to make my decision some time soon."

"I'm not 100 percent," he added. "I can't tell people what I'm going to do in case I might not do it because that would mean I'm backing out on my word."

-- I don't know how media can report kids are signing without actually quoting them. At least in that case you're covered. Even then, kids change their minds so easily. There was a story once that a kid actually faxed his letter of intent to the school using the wrong number. After he was told it didn't go through, he ended up changing his mind. Crazy stuff.

-- Ohio State (No. 2), Michigan State (No. 6) and Illinois (No. 10) will likely remain on top the Big Ten's 2010 recruiting class rankings after the late signing period. Purdue is done recruiting, so the Gophers have a chance to pass the Boilermakers. Minnesota is currently ranked No. 9 by Rivals.com.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2010/04/can-tubby-land-another-top-20.html

Go Gophers!!

More BS from Marcus about Tubby not being aggressive recruiter. Total, complete hogwash.

It's a battle between Marcus and Myron for Biggest Idiot. Both are still in contention.

92 is actually not considered an elite level on ESPN if you look at the rankings of other players. For example, a center who signed with American University was given a 90 while another center who signed with virginia commonwealth also received a 90. I think he will be a good big ten player if he works on his conditioning a lot, but he is receiving an extreme level of hype for the talent level that he has.

Anyways, it certainly sounds like Walker has not committed yet. Smells like this Foxsports guy is trying to make a name for himself by getting a little too aggressive with announcements.

92 is actually not considered an elite level on ESPN if you look at the rankings of other players. For example, a center who signed with American University was given a 90 while another center who signed with virginia commonwealth also received a 90. I think he will be a good big ten player if he works on his conditioning a lot, but he is receiving an extreme level of hype for the talent level that he has.

Anyways, it certainly sounds like Walker has not committed yet. Smells like this Foxsports guy is trying to make a name for himself by getting a little too aggressive with announcements.

Top 100 list ends at 93.

So 92 is just outside Top 100.

I think it's human nature for fans to have a letdown if they aren't the chosen school of a McDy's AA and first team Parade AA at a position of great need. If Cory chooses any of the fine programs he is looking at, the schools that don't get him will be disappointed and the excitement they have/had for other signees will not be as high as it was when the news was first announced. That won't be a rip on Walker if Cory goes elsewhere or it won't be a rip on Texas' signee if Cory comes here/Nova/etc. Gopher football fans weren't feeling the excitement of Gjere's committment the day that Seantrel announced he was going to USC as they were the day Gjere announced he was a Gopher and that wasn't a rip on Gjere...just a matter of timing. If Cory had chosen Texas a month ago and if we had just gotten Walker yesterday like we did, I think the excitement for Walker would be as it is today.

I do agree with you though that Cory will get the attention of the average fan more than a Walker or Hollins did...it sure would be fun to have the chance to find out!

Go Gophers!!

Boy, Marcus is getting really good at bringing nonsense into the discussion these days. First, he speculates that Tubby has been offered the Oregon job (without quotations, might I add) and is proven to be completely wrong. Then he doesn't understand how the media can report a recruiting commitment without quotations, which is wrong on a couple of fronts. First, Myron's tweet DID include direct quotations from Walker. Second, this is the same guy who has yet to use a quotation from Tubby about other jobs yet has run every rumor under the sun about him looking to leave. So which media is he referring to when it comes to using quotations? I must say well done Marcus. Well done.

Boy, Marcus is getting really good at bringing nonsense into the discussion these days. First, he speculates that Tubby has been offered the Oregon job (without quotations, might I add) and is proven to be completely wrong. Then he doesn't understand how the media can report a recruiting commitment without quotations, which is wrong on a couple of fronts. First, Myron's tweet DID include direct quotations from Walker. Second, this is the same guy who has yet to use a quotation from Tubby about other jobs yet has run every rumor under the sun about him looking to leave. So which media is he referring to when it comes to using quotations? I must say well done Marcus. Well done.

Do you want to recant any part of your statement above in light of GopherLady's recent discussion with Walker where he is not committed.

A poor man's Pittman!? Yikes! Who wants a poor man's Pittman?
I saw Walker's highlight tapes and I thought he looked real nice. He displayed range and was obviously the most physically imposing player on the floor. It was a HIGHlight reel though. Who knows how consistent he really is.
With that said, I think he's a must sign. From this article, it seems as though he may be more of a project than some speculated. It's true, Pittman didn't make a serious impact until he lost weight. It looks like he can play a little PF and back-up the big guys at center. I just hope he doesn't get frustrated if Cory doesn't sign and he doesn't play much his first year and a half or so.

"If Minnesota gets both those guys, then that's probably a top 15-20 class," Meyer said. "Cory Joseph carries a lot of weight.

And I thought it was Big Mo that carries "a lot of weight"

I'm growing tired of the potential linkage between Big Mo and Cory Joseph mime. Big men like Mo are like a block of clay, plenty of potential after refinement. It will be up to our crack Gophers training and conditioning team to turn Big Mo into the Incredible Hulk.

All indications are that Mo brings the requisite strong work ethic and desire.

Sure, I'd be very pleased if Cory signs on, but I'll take Big Mo and his potential uncoupled from Cory any day of the week.

Top Bottom