Purdue's JaJuan Johnson enter's NBA Draft, E'Twaun Moore may follow

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this tweet from Gary Parrish:

"Purdue's JaJuan Johnson is entering the NBA Draft w/o an agent. Don't be surprised if teammate E'Twaun Moore follows suit this week."

Go Gophers!!

I hope next year at this time the Gophers are faced with the prospect of losing one of their players early to the NBA draft. That means we will have inked Cory Joseph and enjoyed him for (presumably) a productive & gratifying season.

With all these possible NBA defections the BT is there for the taking, Boys!

Purdue without Johnson, Moore, Grant, and Kramer is a middle of the pack BT team at best. Bade is soft down low with no scoring punch, Jackson can't (and won't) shoot, Hart is unpredictable, and I didn't see much in the way of a great future from Ryne Smith. Barlow I think has some promise, but it could get tough quickly, especially offensively, for the Boilers if this happens.

I've always like Johnson's game. He's got that long, wiry body that is good for the league. I think he's got a shot. I'd be surprised if he came back to campus.

Interesting, I thought they already declared their intentions to stick around. Wonder what changed?

Wonder if seeing Hummel go down made him decide to go make money before something similar possibly happens to himself and ruins any chances.

Really not that suprised by that move by Johnson and would expect more to do the same thing. That said I think they are both going on campus next year. 1st what position is JJ going to play Center? A few inches short and not big enough, PF- Can't take anyone off the dribble. The feeling on the Purdue board is that he is a second round pick with upside. 2nd Moore is a 6-3 SG. That's about 2-3 inches short of what he needs. While he does have a respectable handle of the ball he is never going to be a primary ball handler. Again a 2nd round pick.

With all that said it only takes one team to fall in love with a guy to pick them.

Also what reason does Johnson, Moore, and even Hummel NOT have to declare. They are all juniors with legitmate chances of being NBA player in the near future. None of them have declared for the draft before. Going by the NBA and NCAA rules there is no down side to this move for them.

Really not that suprised by that move by Johnson and would expect more to do the same thing. That said I think they are both going on campus next year. 1st what position is JJ going to play Center? A few inches short and not big enough, PF- Can't take anyone off the dribble. The feeling on the Purdue board is that he is a second round pick with upside. 2nd Moore is a 6-3 SG. That's about 2-3 inches short of what he needs. While he does have a respectable handle of the ball he is never going to be a primary ball handler. Again a 2nd round pick.

With all that said it only takes one team to fall in love with a guy to pick them.

Also what reason does Johnson, Moore, and even Hummel NOT have to declare. They are all juniors with legitmate chances of being NBA player in the near future. None of them have declared for the draft before. Going by the NBA and NCAA rules there is no down side to this move for them.

Agreed...nothing to hurt, only can help their games.

If you guys remember a few years ago when Tubby came to town, he had McKenzie, Tollackson and Coleman all declare for the draft that spring of their junior year. They were never actually going to enter the draft, but that way NBA talent evaluators evaluated their game and gave them constructive criticism/feedback. Not a bad idea at all.

Agreed...nothing to hurt, only can help their games.

If you guys remember a few years ago when Tubby came to town, he had McKenzie, Tollackson and Coleman all declare for the draft that spring of their junior year. They were never actually going to enter the draft, but that way NBA talent evaluators evaluated their game and gave them constructive criticism/feedback. Not a bad idea at all.

Exactly, I'm not sure either one would actually be drafted if they stay in the draft. Not that much fun playing in the CBA. I would think that could wait.

I follow JJ on Twitter and he just twitted that he "hasn't decided either way." Just worth noting

Ah, I misread the original post. I thought it said "w/ an agent" lol. Yeah, w/o an agent, it's still open, and I'd lean toward a return from him and Moore.

I really want to see Purdue have them both back. They're my second favorite team right now. I like Painter, so I hope it all works out for them. Where the heck is rcpratt?

second round picks is right on.

JJ is 6"10" 200 pounds soaking wet. Name one pf-center in the league who weighs that little. If he can't gain any weight now, I'm not sure he will ever be able to gain much. He has a good medium range jump shot and he is long and decent on defense. If he was 235 he would have a shot at the first round.

Moore is a 6'3" 200 shooting guard. 6'3" in shoes. He is one of those very solid good college basketball players. There are players in the NBA who are similar sized, but they are both phenomenal athletes and incredibly skilled. I don't think he has the quickness nor the skill to play the point. CBA is most likely.

JJ is 6"10" 200 pounds soaking wet. Name one pf-center in the league who weighs that little. If he can't gain any weight now, I'm not sure he will ever be able to gain much. He has a good medium range jump shot and he is long and decent on defense. If he was 235 he would have a shot at the first round.

Moore is a 6'3" 200 shooting guard. 6'3" in shoes. He is one of those very solid good college basketball players. There are players in the NBA who are similar sized, but they are both phenomenal athletes and incredibly skilled. I don't think he has the quickness nor the skill to play the point. CBA is most likely.

You are right on MM. Johnson doesn't have the frame to play PF or Center in the league. He could be a combo forward if he can learn to shoot the 3 and an effective 1 bounce pull up. It's been reported that he can bench 245+ so he is weak.

The thing that Moore has going for him is that he is a pure scorer and winner. He is the type that could go to the YMCA in 20 years and still score 10 of his team 15 points playing by one's and two's which will help him. He has also won where ever he has been. In high school he beat Eric Gordon team in the state championship game and he has done nothing but win at Purdue. But you said it best he is 6' 3" SG without a NBA handle or quickness.

They will be back

as far as i know none of them will sign an agent and are all just testing the draft process and will pull out before the deadline, im pretty sure llawrence mckenzie and dan coleman both did this too...

Even though JaJuan hasn't actually decided yet (he says he still hasn't declared, despite reports), declaring without an agent is the best thing for him to do. It will be good for him to get his name out there and hear from some scouts on his strengths and weaknesses.

However, the only reason he should not pull out of the draft is if he's 99% sure he's going to be a first round pick. If he can get that guaranteed money, good for him, although I seriously doubt he's a first round pick at the moment.

I still haven't heard a single thing about E'Twaun, except some national media moron mumbling that he "might" go if JJ goes, causing ten other national media morons to say that he'll be declaring for sure if JJ does.

Agree with this as well. JJ would have no chance down low with guys like Bosh, Bogut, Howard, Stoudemire, or even Kaman.

If he can't pack on the muscle, he'd be better off continuing to develop his ouside shot and becoming more like a Rashard Lewis-type player who can bury jumpers and board a little bit. This seems like the more realistic career path to me, if he is to suceed in The Association.

Top Bottom