Waaay Off Topic: Sad Iowa basketball...

BigGopherFan

Banned
Reaction score
I am in no way an Iowa fan. So, please do not start with the insults and crude replies. If you don't like this post, just ignore.
But I digress. I honestly don't know of Iowa will have more than 6 players on scholarship next season. Has anyone seen anything like this in recent history? The program has lost more than 6-7 transfers over the last 24 months alone, many who contributed on a decent level. Incoming 4-star talent Cody Larson is gone now too. What's the deal? I know Iowa sucks as a state, but c'mon, this is unprecedented. It's not like we are talking about a program with the history of Penn State or Northwestern.
I think it would be very interesting if someone could make a master list of the transfers lost since Freeman decided to leave a couple years ago.

Ridiculous concept: Don't reply unless you like the post.
Good question: "What's the deal?"
Unsupported "factual" statement: "Iowa sucks as a state."
Classic example of trying to trick someone into doing the legwork for you: "I think it would be very interesting if someone could make a master list of the transfers lost since Freeman decided to leave a couple years ago."

Kidding aside, what's going on at Iowa is darn interesting. And not good for the conference either. We gain nothing from seeing a B10 program regress.

I heard from a fellow Gopherhole member that there is in fact Broadway quality theatre in Des Moines.

I enjoy watching Big Ten basketball games more when the conference is strong from top to bottom. Iowa, Indiana and Penn State (if Battle leaves) sucking is not good for the league. I hope both Purdue guys as well as Battle and Summers (if he declares) stay on for another year.

The Big Ten could be loaded next year (Illinois, MSU, OSU, Purdue, Wisconsin, Gophers if we have both Joseph/Mbakwe & even Northwestern) if the right guys stick around and if the right guys (Lucas, Roe, Coble, Hummel, Leuer) are healthy for an entire season.

Cody Larson is no where near a four star recruit.

I heard from a fellow Gopherhole member that there is in fact Broadway quality theatre in Des Moines.

My brother in law (lives in DM) actually travels to NYC to book shows for Des Moines.
I don't know what orgainization he volunteers for but your fellow Gopherhole member is correct.

I am a St. Paul area-native, but a Des Moines transplant since 2003. I will confirm the fact that there is Broadway theatre in Des Moines. In fact, every national tour of a Broadway production has fairly extended stays in Des Moines. I have family members who have been long-time season ticket holders at the Orpheum and State Theatres in Minneapolis, and the Des Moines line up is consistently ahead of Minneapolis in the Broadway tours.

Wow, that was a post I never thought I would make on a basketball forum.

Also in Des Moines, once a year, in basketball

You can get a ticket to the Knapp Center on the Drake Campus and see arguably the two best college basketball teams in the State of Iowa play b-ball (Drake and Northern Iowa).

Ouch.

Another posting that I never contemplated ever having to put on the I-NET.

Seriously, I have seen Cats (twice), Phantom of the Opera, Miss Saigon, Rent, and Jesus Christ Superstar in Broadway productions in Des Moines over the last ten or so years. For what it's worth!

And I have seen the Drake University Bulldogs beat the Univ. of Iowa. Wow.

Actually, here's hoping that new Coach McCafferty brings the Hawks back. It does the B10 no service to have a team down this much.

For anyone that cares, John Lickliter transferred to D-3 Marian University in Indianapolis.

What's the deal?

Steve Alford alienated the entire fanbase. That started it.

His replacement Todd Lickliter had the personality of a paper weight.

The new guy has his work cut out for him.

Cody Larson is no where near a four star recruit.

Incorrect. He is, in fact, a four-star recruit. For evidence, see:

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=2818785

Take note of the stars next to his name. Count them. You will find four.

My brother in law (lives in DM) actually travels to NYC to book shows for Des Moines.
I don't know what orgainization he volunteers for but your fellow Gopherhole member is correct.

Dumb. That's like saying watching a Twins game in Fort Myers in March is the same thing as watching a Twins game at Target Field in October.

Incorrect. He is, in fact, a four-star recruit. For evidence, see:

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=2818785

Take note of the stars next to his name. Count them. You will find four.

Dumb. That's like saying watching a Twins game in Fort Myers in March is the same thing as watching a Twins game at Target Field in October.

I'm saying watching a travelling Broadway show in Minneapolis is like watching a travelling Broadway show in Des Moines. The only delusions are yours, my friend.

I'm saying watching a travelling Broadway show in Minneapolis is like watching a travelling Broadway show in Des Moines. The only delusions are yours, my friend.

Incorrect. In the original thread, the idiot from Iowa said that he is able to "regularly attend Broadway quality theatre in Des Moines". I see no comparison in that statement to the quality of theater in Minnesota. Moreover, he is implying that seeing a Broadway show, on Broadway, in NYC, is the same as seeing it in the middle of a cornfield. That statement is so preposterous I don't even know where to begin.

My original analogy stands as valid. Your inferiority complex continues to show through in that you make comparisons to Minneapolis that weren't even there to begin with. Furthermore, last time I checked, the University of Iowa is in Iowa City. I don't know why this numbnuts even brought Des Moines into the conversation in the first place.

OK, I guess I'll take a stab. Let's extend it a couple years.
GONE:
Smith
Freeman
Palmer
Tucker
Davis
Kelly
Peterson
Fuller
RELEASED OF SCHOLARSHIP:
Larson
ONE FOOT OUT THE DOOR:
Brommer

OK, I guess I'll take a stab. Let's extend it a couple years.
GONE:
Smith
Freeman
Palmer
Tucker
Davis
Kelly
Peterson
Fuller
RELEASED OF SCHOLARSHIP:
Larson
ONE FOOT OUT THE DOOR:
Brommer

Brommer is staying. You can take that to the bank

This thread took an amazing turn!

And yes, it was valued Iowa poster athelstan who said it first, and it has been memorialized in my signature ever since.

I remember when the Iowa game had as much "hate" as the Wisky game. I think his name was Chris Kingsbury - the cocky guy that went over half court and consistantly shot the ball in the basket. HATED him!

I remember when the Iowa game had as much "hate" as the Wisky game. I think his name was Chris Kingsbury - the cocky guy that went over half court and consistantly shot the ball in the basket. HATED him!

Kingsbury may have been the first guy I ever remember going bonkers on what were probably steroids. He was built like a ton of bricks and shot the ball from anywhere over half court, and seemed to make more than his share against the Gophers. I also remember he did not finish his career with the Hawkeyes because of discipline problems, and he was one of the biggest hot heads in the Big Ten of that era. Vivid but horrible memories.

Iowa's futility for the hubris they displayed by getting rid of Dr. Tom Davis, who was one of the top B10 coaches and made the Hawks a perennial Sweet 16 threat. They thought they could do better than a consistent 20-win season. I guess they were wrong.

Kingsbury may have been the first guy I ever remember going bonkers on what were probably steroids. He was built like a ton of bricks and shot the ball from anywhere over half court, and seemed to make more than his share against the Gophers. I also remember he did not finish his career with the Hawkeyes because of discipline problems, and he was one of the biggest hot heads in the Big Ten of that era. Vivid but horrible memories.

I knew some people close to Kingsbury back then and he was apparently a raging alcoholic. Sad story actually.

Iowa's futility for the hubris they displayed by getting rid of Dr. Tom Davis, who was one of the top B10 coaches and made the Hawks a perennial Sweet 16 threat.

They went 10 straight years without a Sweet 16 appearance under Dr. Tom. They never won a Big Ten title under Dr. Tom. They thought they could do better (get to the next level). I applaud them for attempting it. It didn't work out, but they tried. It is a little bit like the Gophers firing Glen Mason for consistently making bowl games. You want to at least try to get to the next level. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. You can call it hubris if you want, but they thought they were stalled in neutral, much like the Gophers were with Mason.

Tom Davis was much better and accomplished more than Glen Mason. Iowa is a very difficult basketball job unless a coach can consistently bring in a ton of talent from out of state. I think the fact that their football program has had such unprecedented success over the past 8 years or so actually makes the job more difficult. Football tickets are expensive, the team does well, and many Iowa fans travel in from Des Moines or other parts of the state for the games. Large contingents of fans spend considerable money traveling to bowl games in late December/early January. There's only so much cash to go around, so it's a tough sell to get fans to shell out for basketball too. They have built a practice facility that should open soon (RIDICULOUS that Iowa has one before Minnesota), but I am not sure how much it will help given their situation. The attitude towards the basketball program that I have observed is one of denial, like it doesn't exist (Hawkeye fans are happy to crow about their football team though).

Tom Davis was much better and accomplished more than Glen Mason. Iowa is a very difficult basketball job unless a coach can consistently bring in a ton of talent from out of state. I think the fact that their football program has had such unprecedented success over the past 8 years or so actually makes the job more difficult. Football tickets are expensive, the team does well, and many Iowa fans travel in from Des Moines or other parts of the state for the games. Large contingents of fans spend considerable money traveling to bowl games in late December/early January. There's only so much cash to go around, so it's a tough sell to get fans to shell out for basketball too. They have built a practice facility that should open soon (RIDICULOUS that Iowa has one before Minnesota), but I am not sure how much it will help given their situation. The attitude towards the basketball program that I have observed is one of denial, like it doesn't exist (Hawkeye fans are happy to crow about their football team though).

And Iowa is a wrestling state. A lot of financial resources, athlete participation and fan effort, more than I ever dreamed possible before living a year there, goes toward wrestling. And girls basketball, or at least it used to. Here's my experience when staying in Des Moines during high school tournament season: boys basketball - hotel accommodations a bit tight, but not a big problem even without reservation, girls basketball - hotel rooms pretty tough without reservation, but possible if a person knew the right buttons to push, wrestling - forget it and forget the idea of a reservation; everything booked a year in advance.

Incorrect. In the original thread, the idiot from Iowa said that he is able to "regularly attend Broadway quality theatre in Des Moines". I see no comparison in that statement to the quality of theater in Minnesota. Moreover, he is implying that seeing a Broadway show, on Broadway, in NYC, is the same as seeing it in the middle of a cornfield. That statement is so preposterous I don't even know where to begin.

My original analogy stands as valid. Your inferiority complex continues to show through in that you make comparisons to Minneapolis that weren't even there to begin with. Furthermore, last time I checked, the University of Iowa is in Iowa City. I don't know why this numbnuts even brought Des Moines into the conversation in the first place.

Show me where anyone (other than you) said anything in this thread about comparing the theatre scene, outside of travelling Broadway shows, in DM to Mpls. :cool02:

Top Bottom