mo walker likes his minnesota visit

scher215

Reaction score
This is from scout.com. I do not have an insider membership but if someone does please fill us in! Thanks.

http://minnesota.scout.com/2/961391.html

Maurice (Mo) Walker, a 6-10, 300-pounder f Wolfeboro (NH) Brewster Academy, visited Wolfeboro (NH) Brewster Academy, visited Minnesota this weekend and liked what he saw, according to his father Craig Walker. Walker, who is one of the top available big men, was hearing from schools such as Rutgers, Seton Hall, Pittsburgh, Connecticut, Marquette, Providence and Minnesota. He could make a decision soon to become a Golden Gopher. decision soon to become a Golden Gopher

Monter had an interview with Mo's father, Craig, who is a coach himself. Here are a few quotes:

We're mulling it over. We are doing a list of pro and cons. There are a couple more schools in mind, but we liked what we saw in Minnesota. We are mulling it over right now and sit down as a family tonight and make a call on it."

The late signing period starts Wednesday and Craig admits that they are not sure if his son will sign his letter of intent that first day.

"We haven't thought that part through yet."

Craig Walker said that he enjoyed his time during the visit.
"I have known Minnesota for awhile. We have some family there (his brother lives in Edina). Hei has lived there for ten or twelve years."

Craig said that his son enjoyed the official visit to Minnesota.

"He is familiar with the city and he knows the school. We have to see some games the previous years. I think that he liked it. We have some family there. He has been away for school the last few years and with my brother being there, we know that it is a good school. A good institution."

Craig admits that the fact that he could play with fellow Canadian Devoe Joseph and possibly Devoe's younger brother Cory, who is considering Minnesota among his top five.

"All those things are pro."

Go Gophers!!

Very positive news. Parents who know basketball (Hollins, Sampson, Iverson) respect, trust and value Tubby. That is what Mo meant about family in Minnesota (Uncle in Edina). That seals the deal as far as I am concerned.

The longer he waits to commit, the more opportunity other schools (er um Kentucky) will have to make an impression. Let's hope the kid pulls the trigger tonight!!!

Good news is right, sounds like there are a lot of pro's to becoming a Gopher. Let's hope he commits tonight!

More I hear about this kid - the more I like him. Hope he commits soon!

Kanter is at KY.....no room for MO

Kentucky barely has enough players to fill out a starting 5. There's plenty of room. He doesn't really fit their style though, so let's just hope they don't feel completely desperate and offer him (not that he's not good enough, just doesn't really fit the style of a typical Cal player).

what are the odds he is just another Johnathan Williams?

Very positive news. Parents who know basketball (Hollins, Sampson, Iverson) respect, trust and value Tubby. That is what Mo meant about family in Minnesota (Uncle in Edina). That seals the deal as far as I am concerned.

That's an excellent point, G in T.

I thought Mo was going to commit while he was here. Is it a bad signal that he left without committing?

I thought Mo was going to commit while he was here. Is it a bad signal that he left without committing?

My thoughts exactly, bro....hopefully he just needs a night to sleep on it.

I don't think he literally said he would commit while still on campus. Sounds like he is talking it over tonight and very well could decide. Let's crossbour fingers.

It's always an extra plus to be a coaches son. Also nice to hear he want's to be a teacher, lets hope he commits!

Actually he has (reportedly) already been cleared by NCAA.

I doubt he's got the "Emerald City green light" to go ahead and play in the NCAA. He is the type of kid (formerly played for pro Euro team) who the NCAA usually investigates at length. Plus, the rule change for players who played for a pro team but didn't get paid hasn't gone into effect yet (it won't until August), so even if he didn't get paid, if his eligibility was already ruled on, they would have to be penalizing him for playing with Fenerbahce like they did with other players such as Deniz Kilicli, because the rule change hasn't gone into effect. Ultimately, if the reports are true, Kanter should never see the court at Kentucky or anywhere else in the NCAA.

After further review, the NCAA still has to approve the rule change at meetings on April 19-20 and April 29 before it can go into effect. So the new rule isn't in effect yet and Kanter would have to have been penalized like Kilicli at least if his case had already been decided by the clearinghouse since he played on a pro team, even if he didn't accept $$.

http://tourney.si.com/2010/03/24/new-rule-could-clear-way-for-kanter/

I'm not expecting this to end well for Kentucky - at least it shouldn't.

Taken out of context. Cleared ACADEMICALLY. The $ (pro or amateur) was always TBD.

Yeah, well, that's not what you said in your initial response. You responded to OSUfan's claim that he wouldn't be cleared because of his amateur status - by stating he had (reportedly) already been cleared. You said nothing about his academic status being cleared.

You lose.

Yeah, well, that's not what you said in your initial response. You responded to OSUfan's claim that he wouldn't be cleared because of his amateur status - by stating he had (reportedly) already been cleared. You said nothing about his academic status being cleared.

You lose.

Mike Decourcy of TSH opines:

So it wasn’t really hundreds of thousands of dollars. And there wasn’t a salary. And Enes Kanter is not an actual professional basketball player.

For now, though, he also is not a college basketball player. And that is the NCAA’s shame.

Late Thursday afternoon, Kanter, a freshman at Kentucky, was ruled permanently ineligible by the NCAA’s student-athlete reinstatement staff for “receiving benefits above his actual and necessary expenses” while playing in the Fenerbahce club system in his native Turkey.

The NCAA revealed in its declaration of Kanter’s ineligibility that the amount in question is $33,033. According to a source close to the process, about $20,000 of that money was used by the Kanter family to pay for Kanter’ educational expenses—such as schooling and tutors—with the remainder still sitting in an account unused. The NCAA told the family that Fenerbahce would have needed to pay for those expenses directly for them to be permissible.

The Kanters made it clear they were willing to return the available funds—and even repay the 20 grand because they weren’t aware of NCAA procedures and regulations—but the staff declined the offer.

According to the NCAA, actual and necessary expenses are those relating to practice and competition, such as meals, lodging, transportation and medical care.

“Enes took advantage of an opportunity to play at the highest level available to him, but the consequences of receiving payments above his actual expenses is not compatible with the collegiate model of sports that our members have developed,” Kevin Lennon, NCAA vice president of academic and membership affairs, said in a statement released by the organization.

Kanter is a 6-11, 262-pound center who spent last season at Stoneridge Prep in California. He played three years in the Fenerbahce system, primarily on junior teams but also in nine games of the 2008-09 season with the club’s senior squad.

What is frustrating about the NCAA’s decision is its guiding principle in many amateurism cases has been the “intent to professionalize.”

For Kanter to “professionalize” would have been quite simple. He could have stayed home. He could have signed a contract with Fenerbahce worth multiple millions of dollars. He could played in front of his family and friends and quite possibly have been selected this past summer to compete with the Turkey national team that, in its home country, finished second in the FIBA World Championships. If he’d been on that team, he would have received a condominium and a share of an $18 million bonus pool created for the players by the Turkish government.

Given all of this, Kanter’s intent to “amateurize” was quite clear. He left his home. He traveled roughly 5,000 miles to the United States. He searched through several prep schools to find one that would allow a player who had competed in games with professionals to participate on its team. He worked to achieve academic eligibility to compete as an NCAA freshman. He enrolled at the University of Kentucky and attended summer classes and passed on the national team because it would have interfered with fall semester classes at UK.

And then he subjected himself to the NCAA’s excruciating and invasive amateurism review. The process is unpleasant, unyielding and at times unfair. But Kanter and his family endured all of it.

One might expect a person willing to fight that hard to be a part of intercollegiate athletes is someone the NCAA staff would want to include in its competitions. But one would be incorrect.

With the membership having changed the rules on international players to make the process of entering college basketball less punitive—West Virginia center Deniz Kilicli, for instance, had to sit out 20 games of his freshman season in 2009-10—the staff has undermined that detente by focusing on the Kanters’ execution rather than their intent.

NCAA basketball is the best place in the world for young players to enhance their talents. U.S. colleges and their students benefit greatly from the diversity foreign students provide. But the organization’s slamming door will discourage the best international prospects from wanting to play here.

Max Ergul, Kanter’s adviser in the process of immigrating to the U.S., said he expected the organization’s decision to be disappointing. “But I’m happy that it’s still alive,” he said, pinning his hopes for Enes to play at Kentucky on the university’s planned appeal to the NCAA’s student-athlete reinstatement committee, which is composed of representatives from member schools and conferences. Kentucky plans to file the appeal soon after returning from its participation in the Maui Invitational in late November.

It’s hard to know what the appeals committee will decide, given how rarely the NCAA declares a high-profile athlete to be permanently ineligible.

It’s fairly clear a just decision would allow Kanter to take the court for Kentucky at some point this winter, but with the NCAA having already fired an airball, justice seems like a long-range shot.

No, FOT, the context is what makes your statement wrong. Don't play this game and act like it was taken out of context. I had posted rumors of Kanter being paid, which calls into question whether he was eligible from an AMATEURISM rather than academic standpoint. Then FOT later quoted my post that seriously questioned Kanter's amateur (rather than academic) eligibility and responded by saying that "actually he has already been cleared by the NCAA." FOT, clearly what you said was a claim that Kanter had (reportedly) been cleared from an amateurism standpoint. You were wrong, just admit it and don't say it was out of context.

No, FOT, the context is what makes your statement wrong. Don't play this game and act like it was taken out of context. I had posted rumors of Kanter being paid, which calls into question whether he was eligible from an AMATEURISM rather than academic standpoint. Then FOT later quoted my post that seriously questioned Kanter's amateur (rather than academic) eligibility and responded by saying that "actually he has already been cleared by the NCAA." FOT, clearly what you said was a claim that Kanter had (reportedly) been cleared from an amateurism standpoint. You were wrong, just admit it and don't say it was out of context.

Calipari was quoted last spring that Kanter had been cleared. You may wish to e-mail him about it.

http://www.courier-journal.com/arti...+on+Enes+Kanter+won+t+contain+new+information

Top Bottom