Nike -(Oregon) - saga widens

Is there a similar student initative (to stop Nike licensing) at the U?

hilarious comment over at the wisconsin board about UW fans hurting their shoulders patting themselves on the backs about this.

UW is very concerned about those honduran sweatshop workers, however they don't seem to care much about indonesian sweatshop workers.

Is there a similar student initative (to stop Nike licensing) at the U?

I sure hope not. The hippies who were probably responsible for what happened at UW are probably thinking it'd be just fine to have the Badgers wear shoes made of 83 percent hemp.

Personally, I prefer Nike over any other apparel company, and I hope the Gophers don't switch just because of some work conditions in Honduras. Good grief.

LOL - Since UW Teams Wear ADIDAS Gear & Unis

Make no mistake. This is a symbolic, but in no way, financially substantive or sacrificial move. To wit:

"Its contract with Nike generated $49,000 in royalty income for the university last year."

How will they survive this?

:rolleyes:

hilarious comment over at the wisconsin board about UW fans hurting their shoulders patting themselves on the backs about this.

UW is very concerned about those honduran sweatshop workers, however they don't seem to care much about indonesian sweatshop workers.

Agreed. I think that most, if not all, of the major apparel companies have been accused of engaging in the same practices.

First wasn't Wisconsin a Adidas school in the first place. I'm shocked that they even have a contract with Nike. Purdue is a Nike school and I haven't seen anything Adidas here in my 2 1/2 years. Can anyone offer any insight on this.

Second I would guess that there would be a group with the same mission at the U, hell Purdue has one and we are as conservative a school you are going to find in the B10.

There hearts are in the right place and they serve a great purpose but if they go after all the factories with labor issues we would all be naked.

mnboiler you are correct they are an Adidas school...some of their smaller non-revenue sports might have had Nike Contracts, but the for sure Football and Basketball are Adidas

I sure hope not. The hippies who were probably responsible for what happened at UW are probably thinking it'd be just fine to have the Badgers wear shoes made of 83 percent hemp.

Personally, I prefer Nike over any other apparel company, and I hope the Gophers don't switch just because of some work conditions in Honduras. Good grief.

Some work conditions? Really? I assume you wouldn't miss your severance payments? God forbid the athletes suffer the grave inconvenience of being given clothes with a different logo on them.

Some work conditions? Really? I assume you wouldn't miss your severance payments? God forbid the athletes suffer the grave inconvenience of being given clothes with a different logo on them.

As pointed out above, there are many companies who are probably doing sketchy things in foreign countries in order to cut down on manufacturing costs. Would Minnesota be able to enter into a contract with Adidas or Under Armour being 100 percent sure that those companies don't employ similar tactics?

As far as I'm concerned, Nike makes the best products, and it's a big thing with 18-year old recruits to be able to offer that as a benefit to signing with the Gophers. If Nike is doing things in Honduras that are illegal or unethical, then I hope it's brought to the company's attention, and they address the issue(s) by making changes to their business practices.

Call me crass, but I don't think the University of Minnesota needs to terminate its deal with Nike.

A few years ago, I think there was some uproar here at the U about similar Nike labor relations. It never materialized into much, as the Gophers still have the Nike contract for all sports.

I for one stopped buying nike products a few years ago. It didn't seem to affect their bottom line. I would prefer the U of M stop dealing with Nike but I doubt they are all that concerned. It is pretty much a bottom line issue with them.
I will not go so far as to give Wisconsin credit for anything (they always give themselves way more credit than they deserve) but I do think they did the right thing.
Yes, Adidas is not perfect but they have a much better track record than Nike.

I for one stopped buying nike products a few years ago. It didn't seem to affect their bottom line. I would prefer the U of M stop dealing with Nike but I doubt they are all that concerned. It is pretty much a bottom line issue with them.
I will not go so far as to give Wisconsin credit for anything (they always give themselves way more credit than they deserve) but I do think they did the right thing.
Yes, Adidas is not perfect but they have a much better track record than Nike.

I like Nike. They funded my stepdaughter's career from 1996 through 2005 quite nicely. She was Nike sponsored athlete - that was worth over $200,000 in $ and merchandise those 10 years.

Nike athletes get very generous support from Nike.

Nike designs and merchandise are better than Adidas IMO. I have a friend that coaches at an Adidas school. Everything the coaches have is free so as you might guess his closet is chock full of apparel but IMO most of the designs were crap compared to some of the Gopher Nike apparel I have bought or some of the Nike apparel he gave me from his previous job (another Nike school).

She was Nike sponsored athlete - that was worth over $200,000 in $ and merchandise those 10 years.

That pretty much would cover Nike's entire labor force payroll for 10 years (hyperbole). Hope she looked good.

That pretty much would cover Nike's entire labor force payroll for 10 years (hyperbole). Hope she looked good.

We all did. There was roughly half in $ and the other half in merchandise (at Nike cost, not retail).

And NBA players add another zero. Their $ contracts were worth millions. Even women like Lisa Leslie and Chamique Holdsclaw got $100,000+ per year.

Top Bottom