Elliott Eliason talks about meeting Hollins, Tubby rumors, hopes Gophs sign Walker

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Eliason excited about joining Hollins in all-star game
By Marcus Fuller on April 9, 2010 10:12 AM

Gophers recruits Elliott Eliason and Austin Hollins have never met before. They haven't even spoken on the phone yet since joining coach Tubby Smith's 2010 recruiting class.

But they will likely play together Saturday in the Jack Jones Shootout senior all-star game at the FedEx Forum, home of the Memphis Grizzlies.

Eliason, a 6-foot-11 center from Chadron High School (Neb.), got invited to the game because he plays for the M33M AAU team, which was founded by Grizzlies guard Mike Miller and Miller's cousin Ernie Kuyper. Hollins, a 6-4 guard from Germanton High School (Tenn.), is the son of Grizzlies coach Lionel Hollins.

"It's a nice coincidence that you can be able to meet your teammate before (college) and play with him a little bit," Eliason said. "It will be my first time getting to meet him in person. I don't know if they will have us room together, but I hope we play together. I'm pretty sure we will. That will be neat."

Eliason said he was impressed the Gophers were able to make the NCAA tournament despite facing adversity on and off the court this season. He also thought the nonconference win against national runner-up Butler in November showed Minnesota's potential.

"That just shows how competitive they are on a big scale," he said.

Smith had been linked to the Oregon job. And reports from North Carolina media outlets have said that Wake Forest could be considering Smith to replace Dino Gaudio, who was fired this week.

But Eliason said he was not concerned about his future coach leaving Minnesota, even though he hasn't spoken to Smith directly lately.

"I just believed what he told me in the recruiting process," Eliason said. "He told me he was going to be there. I just took it for his word. I think he's a guy who sticks by his word. I haven't been worried about any of that stuff. I think my coaches and my dad are more worried."

Eliason said his father, Jay, called Gophers assistant Ron Jirsa recently to find out if there was any truth to the rumors about Smith.

"After that talk, it pretty much cleared everything up," Eliason said. "There wasn't anything there to be worried about. He's a great coach. Everybody wants him, so there's definitely going to be rumors every year about where he could go."

-- Brewster Academy (N.H.) senior Mo Walker could become Minnesota's third member of the 2010 recruiting class after his visit this week. Eliason said he didn't mind the Gophers trying to add another incoming freshman center.

"I'm glad they are going out and trying to bring in other players like that, because it's only going to make us better," Eliason said. "It sounds like he's a very talented player. I'm looking forward to the competition if he comes."

-- It's a big weekend for Gophers recruits and targets. Findlay Prep senior Cory Joseph is also playing with his high school teammate Tristan Thompson in the Nike Hoop Summit on Saturday in Portland. Joseph and Thompson are representing Canada on the World team, which has a chance to upset the U.S. team for the second straight season. A team led by current freshman stars John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, Avery Bradley and Xavier Henry couldn't beat a bunch of relatively unknown international players. Now, I'm not so sure the talent gap is as wide for the U.S. team, even with Harrison Barnes, Brandon Knight and Jared Sullinger on the roster this year.

-- Joseph might be the best point guard for the World team since San Antonio Spurs' Tony Parker represented France. But Australian point guard Jason Cadee is also getting impressive reviews in Hoop Summit practices this week.

-- Joseph measured 6-3 and 174 pounds with shoes at the Hoop Summit, according to Draftexpress.com. His wingspan was also measured at 6-4.

-- Smith was in Charlotte this week, but he wasn't recruiting. Could he be checking out a Charlotte Bobcats game? My mind was wondering thinking about the Wake Forest opening and Smith's ties to North Carolina as a former player at High Point University. But Winston-Salem, N.C. is over an hour and 20 minutes away. It should be nothing to worry about. Why not just fly in closer to Wake Forest if he wanted to check things out?

Plus, CBSSports.com is reporting that the Deacons might be making a deal with Coloardo coach Jeff Bzedlik.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2010/04/eliason-excited-about-joining.html

Go Gophers!!

Of course there had to be a Tubby coaching rumor thrown in at the last minute. OY! As for Eliason - he sounds like a great young man. Thanks for posting.

I have not heard tubby connected with the wake opening, that was obviously thrown in just for "flair."

As for Eliason, what an awesome kid. Tubby is bringing in great guys.

The Wake rumor is a joke

Pure speculation based on nothing substantial by a reporter rounding up the usual suspects. Jeff Bzdelik will get the job.

Eliason/Hollins???

Did anyone get a chance to watch Eliason and Hollins in that Jack Jones shootout yesterday? If so, how did they play?

-- Joseph might be the best point guard for the World team since San Antonio Spurs' Tony Parker represented France. But Australian point guard Jason Cadee is also getting impressive reviews in Hoop Summit practices this week.

-- Joseph measured 6-3 and 174 pounds with shoes at the Hoop Summit, according to Draftexpress.com. His wingspan was also measured at 6-4.

GophersNow
Cory Joseph's World team blew 15-pt 2nd half lead to U.S. Joseph struggled with six points on 3 for 7 FG shooting, two assists and two TOs.

GophersNow
Cory Joseph's World team blew 15-pt 2nd half lead to U.S. Joseph struggled with six points on 3 for 7 FG shooting, two assists and two TOs.

That second was good, but strange.... USA up by 9 at the half, then World takes the third quarter 33-12 and has 74-62 lead after three.. Quickly in the fourth quarter, the USA started owning the World again.. and winds up winning 101-97. Barnes came through big... 27 points.

Enes Kanter is just a monster. Total stud. 34 and 13. I bet some of those guards thinking about going to Kentucky have to be thinking, 'hmm, this guy wouldn't be so bad to play with'.

Cory had a real nice drive for two late in the game, I think that actually tied it up 94-94 after the World had been down for several minutes in the 4th.. a short time later, at the very end of the game, he drove the sideline and appeared to get fouled, but there was no call and the ball bounced off him and out of bounds, essentially sealing the World team's fate.

We'll have some tough battles with Sullinger next year at tOSU. He had 22 and 8 before fouling out in the 4th.. was able to do his thing vs. the bigs from the World team.. although they did the same to him much of the game.

Marcus is one of the nicest people I know and works his ass off covering both fb and bb. If any of the people ripping him would have the opportunity to sit down and talk hoops with him I guarantee you would take back all the negative comments. as far as who the real (blank or bleep) is, that answer is pretty obvious.

Marcus is one of the nicest people I know and works his ass off covering both fb and bb. If any of the people ripping him would have the opportunity to sit down and talk hoops with him I guarantee you would take back all the negative comments. as far as who the real (blank or bleep) is, that answer is pretty obvious.

I'm sure he's very nice but the constant "Is Tubby going" rumors he puts out are really getting old. There was absolutely no reason at all to put that in this article. It was a nice article about a future recruit.

Yep - it's him (Marcus). The Tubby-Maybe-Going-2-Blank angle is pure BS like every other rumor he spreads.

I'm sure he's very nice but the constant "Is Tubby going" rumors he puts out are really getting old. There was absolutely no reason at all to put that in this article. It was a nice article about a future recruit.

Exactly. Marcus is a (blank), period.

Yep - it's him (Marcus). The Tubby-Maybe-Going-2-Blank angle is pure BS like every other rumor he spreads.

I don't like those rumors either, but do you really think he's the catalyst? There were few people in basketball media that didn't report those rumors.

No one has answered the question above about how Eliason and Hollins played at the game yesterday. Is there anyone who watched who'd be able to give us an update?

Agreed.

Myron and Marcus - not your M & M Media boys.
Marcus Fuller has done a great job.

I follow both Myron and Marcus fairly often. The Tubby going to (blank) stuff is really frustrating I empathize with the Gopher players, new and prospective recruits, especially the ones from out of state. Lawrence Westbrook mentioned the change of coaches was very difficult. Hopefully Tubby will want to remain at Minnesota for years to come, he is a class act, but I just wish Marcus and Myron would keep their powder dry until they can cite something beyond conjecture.

Top Bottom