Mo Walker's Visit

cfield23

Reaction score
Just an update here... Mo Walker is currently watching the men's basketball practice at the barn right now. He's with what looks like his family right now.

Do you know what else he's done so far? The weather is PERFECT today, so it should've been a great day to see the campus.

Pick-up game, more likely.
Nope. It was a practice. It was definitely a practice. I'm not sure what else he's done but it's good he's still here. It's beautiful out today so i'm sure he'll enjoy the beauty of the campus.

cf

So who was "practicing"? Was Devoe on the court?

I assume no coaches were involved ?

Thanks.

Umm, before someone gets the Minnesota program in trouble for practicing during a dead period or something, we better make sure that we're not calling this a "practice" when it really wasn't, and no coaches were involved. I wasn't there, and I have no idea who was involved, nor do I know whether teams are allowed to "practice" right now. But people on here should be careful what they call things. I do know that there is a period of time where individual work with coaches is allowed. But I'm pretty sure that no full-squad "practices" are allowed so soon after the end of the season.

Umm, before someone gets the Minnesota program in trouble for practicing during a dead period or something, we better make sure that we're not calling this a "practice" when it really wasn't, and no coaches were involved. I wasn't there, and I have no idea who was involved, nor do I know whether teams are allowed to "practice" right now. But people on here should be careful what they call things. I do know that there is a period of time where individual work with coaches is allowed. But I'm pretty sure that no full-squad "practices" are allowed so soon after the end of the season.

You're right, and I don't buy for one second that it was a legit practice. Just guys scrimmaging in open gym.

I wonder if he stopped over to watch the football scrimmage across the street.

I assume no coaches were involved ?

Thanks.

I think the NCAA has loosened some of the rules regarding coach contact with players during the off-season. I thought there was some 3 on 3 sessions allowed with coaches present and possibly even 4 on 4. I looked in the NCAA website and could not find the exact ruling.

However, the NCAA and the NABC (Natl Assn of BB Coaches - I believe) of which Tubby was/is the head, have identified the period of time after the Final Four as a time when student athlete transfers increase. Coaches believe increased access with the Student/Athlete can help prevent transfers and keep student/athletes on the road to education and graduation.

Here is a portion of an article from the NCAA website:

"The original proposal from one of the working group’s five subcommittees substituted that summer access for the current access given to coaches in the spring – the idea being for student-athletes to focus on academics during that time – but coaches on the working group cited the time between the Final Four and the summer term as critical for many basketball players – especially those on the verge of transferring. Coaches argued that with their influence, the transfer rate might wane. “Kids listen to other people when they don’t have access to the coach,” one warned.

In other words, coaches liked the summer model but they didn’t want to give up access at other times of the year. The original proposal was structured to shift the access without increasing it through the course of the year."

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaa...roup+adds+to+summer+plan+-+04-28-08+ncaa+news

FOT - My reading of the attached indicates to me that out-of-season practices with coaches present can be up to 8 hours per week. I believe these are called "Defining Countable Athletically Related Activities."

In Season these are limited to 20 hours per week.

Internet research only - no first hand info.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect...ERES&CACHEID=262be3804e0b8d63a53df51ad6fc8b25

There are limited coach & athlete interactions permitted.

Full team practices are not permitted.

Glad that is settled. Now, how about some Mo information.

Can he get up and down the floor? Serious question.

It is true he looks immovable. But is he movable?

There are lots of people in Iowa who fit that description, but we don't recruit them for basketball.

Can he get up and down the floor? Serious question.

It is true he looks immovable. But is he movable?

There are lots of people in Iowa who fit that description, but we don't recruit them for basketball.

Lots of people in Iowa weren't the starting C on the national prep school championship team.

My friend saw Walker, and his family, and Tubby walking around campus Saturday. He actually talked to Tubby for a bit while Walker walked around with someone else for a bit, but he did say Walker was one of the biggest people he's ever seen...

My friend saw Walker, and his family, and Tubby walking around campus Saturday. He actually talked to Tubby for a bit while Walker walked around with someone else for a bit, but he did say Walker was one of the biggest people he's ever seen...

Nice update, campus must have been beautiful today, at least we have that going for us.

My question about Mo resembles that of Stud's...is he mobile enough to play the 4 with Colt at C much like the twin towers we had last season with RSIII at the PF?

My question about Mo resembles that of Stud's...is he mobile enough to play the 4 with Colt at C much like the twin towers we had last season with RSIII at the PF?

With our pressure defense I highly doubt that Tubby would put him at the 4. It's possible that he would in some scenerios, but I would have to guess that he'd spend at least 90% of his time at the 5 unless Tubby changes his defensive style. I suppose if neither Trevor or Royce are back then there is a chance we could see it more though, similar to when he would play Ralph and Colton together, but if Trevor and/or Royce are back I wouldn't expect to see it much.

Good points, GOTR...I was also thinking about the future with EE being a true C if we would be able to have both of these kids on the court at the same time. I suppose it would help to sign Mo first, though. :)

Can Colt play the 4 (seemed to get quicker as the year went on)? Then Mo could play the 5 with either Ralph or Colt at the 4.

I guess it all depends on what defensive philosphy Tubby wants to use. If Nolen is back and/or if we get Cory he will probably want to go back to his high-pressure defense, which would make me think he would want a more athletic person at the 4, such as Mbakwe. If he wants to go big like we did a lot at the end of this year with Ralph and Colton, then Walker definitely seems like he could play the 4 and provide a dangerous high-low game with his ability to hit the outside shot. I'm not so sure about Colton playing the 4, I wouldn't expect it, but who knows what Tubby wants to do. Maybe he's got a few ideas up his sleeve.

We could really use Trevor next year after losing DJ and PC. We're going to miss their versatility.

Top Bottom