Rotation defect

Mikie S

Reaction score
Although I really like what I've seen from RS3, I don't like him so much at PF. And to compound things, when Tubby does his usual full scale substitution, it's John Williams coming in to play center. That's a one-two punch that the Gophers have had to come back from in the first three conference games where they've found themselves down in each.

IMHO, lineups pairing DJ along with Carter, Bostick, Busch or sometimes JAS have all been more effective and having RS3 come off the bench instead of JW (who should be sitting near the end of the bench next to Payton) would be another big boost.

No need to thank me for the tip Tubby, I'm just trying to help.

I am assuming that your IMHO in this case means: "In My Horse@@@t Opinion. Tubby is the man, we are 14-1.

I think Tubby sees RSIII long term to be a PF. The learning curve will be steeper there. The pay off will be huge. But we'll have to deal with him being a freshman seeming a little lost now and then until he gains the experience.

Think of Williams as the guy that allows you to play Iverson, Sampson and DJ as aggressively as we do. Then I think you'll feel better about him.

how classy

Mikie has been around a long time and as usual made a thoughtful, legitimate point -- the tongue-in-cheek comment certainly did not deserve to get ripped by you like that (IMHO).

seriously

and with all due respect, Mikey may have been around a long time but so has Sid and I wouldnt expect Tubby to take roster advice from him either. I think Tubby wants RS3 and Colt to learn to play together for the long term. I have to laugh when folks on a blog offer advice to the likes of Tubby. I love what Tubby is doing with this team and I love all the players on this team for buying in and putting out.

Shut 'er down then. I guess a message board is no place for fans to offer opinions. I really don't think Mikie expects Tubby to read/take his advice. But he certainly is voicing his opinion in the appropriate place without being an ass.

Brad Childress has been around a long time too. That doesn't mean a lot of people couldn't a thing or two about managing a clock.

I think Tubby sees RSIII long term to be a PF. The learning curve will be steeper there. The pay off will be huge. But we'll have to deal with him being a freshman seeming a little lost now and then until he gains the experience.

Think of Williams as the guy that allows you to play Iverson, Sampson and DJ as aggressively as we do. Then I think you'll feel better about him.

I agree that JW being there allows RS3 to slide over. But here's some misc. thoughts:

1) Damian Johnson is the best player the Gophers have at either forward position. Tubby needs someone else to step forward in the front court. Sampson is one, while Bostick and Carter are two others. Busch continues to overacheive. JAS has struggled.

2) Next year Jon Williams will be gone, Iverson & Sampson are the only big men left. Will Tubby risk getting both big men in early foul trouble? He didn't earlier this year when JW was injured.

3) Next year three new faces show up (Royce White, Rodney Williams & Trevar Mbakwe) that may be future impact players at forward. Royce, like DJ, could swing between SF/PF. Rodney could play SF or SG. Mbakwe sounds like a true power forward. If Carter, Bostick & Busch all return it will be very crowded at forward.

Mikie S...I apologize for the way I disagreed with your HO. I just do not believe that we board commentors have any experience to disagree with what Tubby is doing. He not only currently is doing the best he can with what he has, but he also has a long range plan, and that is for Colt45 and RalphIII to eventually dominate inside. What Tubby is looking for is the right combinations to be effective outside so Colt45 and RalphIII can then do just that. And it will come. In the meantime, Tubby's TEAM is 14-1, and he is building and preparing this group of PUPS to make a good run at and in the wildness of March Madness. Again, I apologize for the way I said I disagreed with you, but, I respectfully disagree with your very first post of this thread. Thank you for listening. Sincerely, Dr.Don

Dr.Don, quick question, somewhat unrelated to the thread:

Why do you keep calling the guys a group of "PUPS?"

Good question, GoldyLove. As long as you asked, here is my answer:

Because for the most part, they are young, do not yet have a definite pecking order, and Tubby is the Dominant. It is up to Tubby to make the adjustments needed in various situations to be successful for and of "the kill". Kinda like the "Leader of the Pack". It is up to the Dominant to keep everyone in line, and that all of the members of the Gopher Pack trust and believe in the "Leader of the Pack". And I like what I see.

And I think your question is very related to the thread. I hope my answer and philosophy are ok. Thanks for asking.

Shut 'er down!!!!

Shut 'er down then. I guess a message board is no place for fans to offer opinions. I really don't think Mikie expects Tubby to read/take his advice. But he certainly is voicing his opinion in the appropriate place without being an ass.

Brad Childress has been around a long time too. That doesn't mean a lot of people couldn't a thing or two about managing a clock.

I dont think Mike S, is or was an ass and I hope I wasnt. Just exchanging "opinions", that is all. No harm, no foul! :)

Although I really like what I've seen from RS3, I don't like him so much at PF.

PF is his position. He needs to get better defensively guarding the other PF, but long-term, he is a Big Ten PF.

He's fine as a PF, but with a lot of the Big Ten teams he's been guarding small forwards or guards lately, and its ugly.

PF is his position. He needs to get better defensively guarding the other PF, but long-term, he is a Big Ten PF.

Tj--why do you say that his long term postion is at PF? I'm no expert, but I see him as more of a center. He's not a big bruising center, but he's not a big bruisiing PF either. As I watch his game, it reminds me of the finesse approach his Dad used at center. And FWIW, I expect that by the time he graduates, he'll be at least 7 feet. Other than KG (and Raph is not KG) I can't think of a lot of other 7 foot PFs.

Other than KG (and Raph is not KG) I can't think of a lot of other 7 foot PFs.

You mean other than Tim Duncan, Dirk Nowitzki, Chris Bosh, Pau Gasol, Amare Stoudemire, Jermaine O'Neal, Lamar Odom, Rasheed Wallace, or just about any other PF in the NBA? All of those guys are 6-10 or taller. Of course, RSIII has a long ways to go to reach those levels, but just because he's 6-11 doesn't mean he's a center, IMHO.

The reason I think Ralph's position is PF is because he has an outstanding midrange game (and actually has range out to 3pt line), is not "wide" enough to be a true center, is athletic enough to play away from the basket, runs the floor better than a plodding center, and has the length you like in a "4", etc.

And incidently, RSIII's dad was basically a PF in the NBA. Hakeem was the center on those Rockets teams.

I have heard Tubby say that RSIII is his best big man passer (he may have said that he has coached - but maybe I heard that wrong and it was just on the team). He often has indicated that Ralph is the PF - but I think he will still get plenty of minutes as the center before he is done here.

You mean other than Tim Duncan, Dirk Nowitzki, Chris Bosh, Pau Gasol, Amare Stoudemire, Jermaine O'Neal, Lamar Odom, Rasheed Wallace, or just about any other PF in the NBA? All of those guys are 6-10 or taller. Of course, RSIII has a long ways to go to reach those levels, but just because he's 6-11 doesn't mean he's a center, IMHO.

The reason I think Ralph's position is PF is because he has an outstanding midrange game (and actually has range out to 3pt line), is not "wide" enough to be a true center, is athletic enough to play away from the basket, runs the floor better than a plodding center, and has the length you like in a "4", etc.

And incidently, RSIII's dad was basically a PF in the NBA. Hakeem was the center on those Rockets teams.

OK

FWIW, I don't think many of the guys you listed are 7'--but I don't follow the NBA and don't know for sure, and I was talking about position in college. RS jr may have played PF in the twin towers, but he was a center in college.

Not all centers are plodding, and as noted above, you don't have to be a wide body to play the position quite effectively. There's this one skinny guy--Kareem something or the other--who I hear was reasonably effective at center. :)

Those of you that remember Ralph 2 play PF at Virginia must remember he also liked hanging out around the 3pt area.

All in all I'm with Mike on this one. I'm afraid JW is just not a player. That leaves Colt and Ralph as the only centers on the team. If they both were to be in foul trouble we would be in trouble. Play them together occasionally depending on the match up. Use JW to give some fouls as needed.

Hopefully DJ and Carter can handle the 4 spot until TM and Royce show up.

Next year the Gophers could sell out for team scrimmages.

Top Bottom