2010 In-Season Tournaments (Updated 4/9/10)

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
2010 In-Season Tournaments (Updated 5/6/10)

Looks like Purdue will be in the post-Thanksgiving Chicago Invitational Challenge with Arkansas, Southern Illinois & Wright State, while Indiana appears headed for the pre-Christmas Las Vegas Classic with Colorado, Miami-Florida and New Mexico.

That leaves only Northwestern, Ohio State & Penn State as unknowns with regards to Big Ten in-season tournaments.

Athletes in Action Basketball Classic (November 12-14)
Cal Davis, Florida Atlantic, Milwaukee, PORTLAND

Basketball Travelers Classic (November 12-14)
Denver, North Dakota State, OREGON, UCSB

Basketball Travelers Invitational (December 3-5)
Eastern Michigan, IDAHO, Monmouth, North Dakota

Charleston Classic (November 18-19, 21)
Charlotte, East Carolina, NC State, 5 teams TBD

Chicago Invitational Challenge (November 26-27)
Arkansas, Purdue, Southern Illinois, Wright State, other teams TBD

Coaches vs. Cancer Classic (November 18-19)
Illinois, Maryland, Pitt, Texas, other teams TBD

CBE Classic (November 22-23)
Duke, Gonzaga, Kansas State, Marquette, other teams TBD

Golden Bear Classic
CAL, Southern Miss, 2 teams TBD

Las Vegas Classic (December 21-22?)
Akron, Colorado, Indiana, Miami-Florida, New Mexico, other teams TBD

Las Vegas Invitational (November 26-27)
Arizona, Kansas, Ohio, Santa Clara, other teams TBD

Legends Classic (November 26-27)
Georgia Tech, Michigan, Syracuse, UTEP, other teams TBD

Maui Invitational (November 22-24)
Chaminade, Connecticut, Kentucky, Michigan State , Oklahoma, Virginia, Washington, Wichita State

NIT Season Tip-Off
Boston U, George Washington, Marist, Villanova, 12 teams TBD

Old Spice Classic (November 25-26, 28)
Boston College, Cal, Georgia, Manhattan, Notre Dame, Temple, Texas A&M, Wisconsin

Paradise Jam (November 19-22)
Alabama, Clemson, Iowa, Long Beach State, Old Dominion, St. Peter’s, Seton Hall, Xavier

Puerto Rico Tip-Off (November 18-19, 21)
Davidson, Hofstra, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Carolina, Vanderbilt, West Virginia, Western Kentucky

76 Classic (November 25-26, 28)
Cal State Northridge, DePaul, Murray State, Oklahoma State, Stanford, Tulsa, UNLV, Virginia Tech

World Vision Basketball Classic (November 12-14)
Bryant, CLEVELAND STATE, Iona, Kent State

World Vision Basketball Invitational (December 21-23)
Idaho State, Troy, UTAH STATE, Western Michigan

ALL CAPS = host team

SS, as a fan of a top 5 team this coming season should I be dissapointed in being in the Chicago Invite. I know why Painter wanted to play there, mainly close to West Lafayette but forgetting that part I thought Purdue could to much better.

From the sounds of it you guys will have plenty of decent games (@ West Virginia, Alabama, probably @ the best ACC team in the Challenge), but I am surprised the Boilers aren't in one of the better (read: made for TV) tournaments. Nevertheless, Arkansas would be a decent opponent, and Wright State is usually pretty solid, certainly a top-100-type program over the last 4 seasons.

Your are right on the OCC for us, SS, we are at West Virginia, home vs. Alabama, on the road for the ACC/B10 Challenge which will all be good to great tests. We also have the Wooden Tradition in Conseco but Painter doesn't have any power of who the Boilers play there. Last year we had Ball State but a couple of years ago Purdue had a much bigger name so it's tough to tell.

But forgive me for not getting excited for possibility playing Arkansas or Wright State at UIC Pavillion in late November.

SS, as a fan of a top 5 team this coming season should I be dissapointed in being in the Chicago Invite. I know why Painter wanted to play there, mainly close to West Lafayette but forgetting that part I thought Purdue could to much better.

Watch SIU beat Purdue :D

Even though our whole team, I guess, will be gone next year. We just got 3 verbals. ALL JUCO's. Supposedly this is cuz we are expecting some players to transfer, quit, etc. But if SIU and Purdue do play each other, it will be Painter vs SIU (who coached there for 1 year before leaving for Purdue).

Thanks for the update OSUFan.

Perhaps DeChellis has decided his job is on the line, needs more cupcakes? Pretty lame to back out of a quality tournament like that, with or without Talor Battle.

The 76 Classic will have three teams that I'd expect to be pretty good (Oklahoma State, UNLV & Virginia Tech), and it's very possible the TBD team will be decent as well. Certainly not the 76 Classic of last year (5 NCAA squads & 2 Final Four teams), true, but I'd guess the opponents Penn State would play in Anaheim will be better than anything DeChellis schedules in its place to help save his job.

It was just reported today by Matta that OSU will play in an exempt tourney that includes the Florida game I mentioned before - they will get 3 home games "around" the game at Florida Nov. 16th (which is the first part of a home & home). The reporter did not indicate which tournament they were playing in, just that it was a "yet-to-be-announced" tourney that would include this home & home series. I don't know what tourney that is, but it sounds like a sweetheart deal to get 4 games to count as 1 with one game on ESPN as the first half of a home & home series & 3 other home games. I've never seen a home & home series be part of an exempt tourney before.

Coaches vs. Cancer and the CBE Classic jumped off the page for me in terms of projected quality teams next year, the CBE particularly with Duke, Kansas St., and Gonzaga could all be pre-season Top 10 one imagines.

Will they seed the Gophers tournament 1-8? If so, it should go WVU, MN, Vandy, NC, Nebraska, Davidson, WKU, Hofstra. But it will go WVU, NC, Vandy, MN, Nebraska, Davidson, WKU, Hofstra.

Either way, it's not bad, but I'd rather have WKU and Vandy en route to a final appearance then Nebraska and WVU.

Not sure if they seed it, but even after UNC's disastrous season I'd seed them ahead of the Gophers. Very unlikely UNC will suck like that two years in a row, and the bottom line is they should be better than the Gophers. I'd have Gophers #3 just ahead of Vandy, who loses Ogilvy early to the NBA Draft.

I'll say we get #6 Nebraska, then follow with either #2 UNC or #7 Davidson. Kind of hoping we get Nebraska, anyways. Would like to come out of this tournament with at least 2 and if we're lucky all 3 games vs. major-conference foes, though I suspect WKU would be a formidable opponent.

Was the 76 classic seeded? It didn't really seem to be, since UCLA and Portland were matched up in what would have been at best the 4-5 game. But that would mean MN-Butler was 3-6 and that certainly wasn't the case.

I think they did attempt to seed the 76. UCLA was justifiable as the #2 seed considering the success they'd been having prior to this past season, and A&M made sense as #3 because they had a lot coming back and won a game in the NCAA the previous season.

Gophers-Butler made as good a sense as any for 4-5 game. Really, between 4 & 6 (Butler, Gophers, Clemson) the teams could have been seeded anywhere, as all were winless in the NCAA the previous season.

Not sure if they seed it, but even after UNC's disastrous season I'd seed them ahead of the Gophers. Very unlikely UNC will suck like that two years in a row, and the bottom line is they should be better than the Gophers. I'd have Gophers #3 just ahead of Vandy, who loses Ogilvy early to the NBA Draft.

I'll say we get #6 Nebraska, then follow with either #2 UNC or #7 Davidson. Kind of hoping we get Nebraska, anyways. Would like to come out of this tournament with at least 2 and if we're lucky all 3 games vs. major-conference foes, though I suspect WKU would be a formidable opponent.

UNC will have an excellent team in 2011. Roy Williams never seems to have 2 subpar years in a row.

Murray State will replace Penn State @ 76 Classic

That's actually an improvement.

Top Bottom