Who ends up coaching Oregon, WF, and Clemson?

beowulftom

Reaction score
Tubby can't possibly tri-locate and coach all three schools....

So who?

Undying respect to the best prognosticator. (I have no idea if that is spelled right)

So who?

Undying respect to the best prognosticator. (I have no idea if that is spelled right)

Hard to say one way or the other.

Oregon's search has been rife with innuendo and rumor about big names without any evidence that any of them were all that interested. Now the writers in Oregon are mentioning names like Billy Gillespie amongst others, not exactly the big timers they were reported to be courting. I'll go ahead and guess it'll be a mid-major coach.

Clemson is in a tough spot, mostly because they have to replace a pretty successful coach who bolted for DePaul of all places. Not sure how many guys they're losing for next season and most of the talk seems to be focusing on guys from that area of the country. So anybody's guess would be as good as mine.

Wake Forest is a weird one because I still can't figure out why Dino Gaudio was fired. There must be more to the story than we know. I'm guessing on that one because I don't tend to believe the AD's whole "well, we weren't successful in the postseason, therefore we had to make a move." Such a statement ratchet's up the pressure on the next coach, whomever it may be, to a really high level. In other words, Wake's not interested in merely being good; they think they're a championship level or close to it program. Therefore, it'll be interesting to see who they go after. I'll assume it will be a big name but I'm not sure who it will ultimately end up being.

Hard to say one way or the other.

Wake Forest is a weird one because I still can't figure out why Dino Gaudio was fired. There must be more to the story than we know. I'm guessing on that one because I don't tend to believe the AD's whole "well, we weren't successful in the postseason, therefore we had to make a move." Such a statement ratchet's up the pressure on the next coach, whomever it may be, to a really high level. In other words, Wake's not interested in merely being good; they think they're a championship level or close to it program. Therefore, it'll be interesting to see who they go after. I'll assume it will be a big name but I'm not sure who it will ultimately end up being.

Yeah, I agree, the Wake situation seems odd. The AD was almost defensive about the firing at his press conference. They keep bringing up how unsuccessful his post-seasons have been after he finally won a tourney game against a very good Texas team. It's not Dino's fault their second game was against Kentucky. AND he's bringing in a top ten recruiting class. It feels like he got shafted but maybe there's more to the story. I can't see another coach doing any better.

So who?

(My guesses)

Oregon will hire a young coach with West Coast experience and recruiting contacts.

Clemson will hire a young coach with Southern experience and recruiting contacts.

WF, I have idea why Gaudio was let go. It's not a great job, never has been. Very tough academics. Not that great of abasketball tradition. Surrounded by UNC, Duke, and NC St (11 NCAA titles collectively).

I'll put some names out there

Wake Forest - Wright state's Brad Brownell (a step down from Dino)
Clemson - Dino Gaudio (and a good chunk of his recruiting class)
Oregon - Billy Gillespie or St. Mary's coach (forget his name)

I am curious if Wake Forest might consider either Steve Wojciechowski or Chris Collins from Duke as they have both been assistants at Duke for 10 years now and obviously know the conference and area well and in the case of Chris Collins he could even bring on his old man as an assistant for the first couple of years if necessary.

Since no one else will do it:

Oregon: Tubby Smith

WF: Tubby Smith

Clemson: Tubby Smith

They're going to need several Phil Knight jets to pull it off.

:cool02:

I would consider Brownell (Wright State) an upgrade from Gaudio. Gaudio's head coaching track record (Army & Loyola-Maryland) was rather brutal before he was handed the Wake Forest job. I can totally see why the Wake Forest AD did what he did. For the most part, Wake seriously underachieved in Gaudio's three seasons.

I would consider Brownell (Wright State) and upgrade from Gaudio. Gaudio's head coaching track record (Army & Loyola-Maryland) was rather brutal before he was handed the Wake Forest job. I can totally see why the Wake Forest AD did what he did. For the most part, Wake seriously underachieved in Gaudio's three seasons.

Yeah, SS, his record was pretty terrible. I guess I'm echoing my friend's opinions (who lives near there) that Dino got a raw deal. Certainly they underachieved. But winning against Texas in the tourney had to viewed as a positive step, and losing to Kentucky was kind of a forgone conclusion.

They had extended his contract.He had a top-ten recruiting class coming in (which may go away now). A 61-31 record. Had to deal with early entries leaving...

I know there's always more to the story than what I know however

I agree that the Wake sitution is strange. Why would you fire Dino? I realize that he hasn't been able to win the big one but he sure has been succussful. There has to be some back story or he rubbed someone important the wrong way. With that said I have no idea who they are going to be able to get who will be better than Dino. I could see them going after Chris Mack from Xaiver-I think that's where they got Dino. If Thad Matta didn't have a great recuiting class coming into Ohio State I could see him leaving to go to Wake. But that isn't the case. So maybe Bob McKilliop(sp?) from Davidson or the guy from Wofford.

Clemson is a tough job as well. You aren't on Tobacco Road but you are close enough. Clemson is pretty much in the middle of no where. It's a football school. On the other hand Atlanta has some talent and the only high level basketball team in Georgia is Georgia Tech. I could see Dino going here as well. Maybe they can go after Matt Doherty the former UNC head coach who is now at SMU or Larry Eustachy the former Iowa State head coach who is now at Southern Miss. Also Al Skinner could be a possibility.

Oregon is the one that the toughest to fill. You can tell that Phil Knight wants a BIG name head coach who can recuit nationally the problem with that is that there is a limited number of those guys and they don't move very often. Dino could end up here as well. I think that he has already said no but Mark Turgeon from Texas A & M could be a possibility. Also I think that he has also said no but Billy Donovan could be another choice. I know there is a unwritten rule of not grabbing coaches from the same conference but if Phil Knight doesn't care about that I could see a possibilty of both Lorenzo Romar from Washington and Herb Sendek from ASU both going to Oregon. After that they are going to have to go to an assistant or lower level HC. Maybe one of the Duke guys like previously mentioned. Also Billy Gillespie could be it.

My source is hearing that since Minnesota is such a bad gig, everyone hates it, everybody is cold, the proposed practice facility color palatte is so 90's and they're tired of the Mall of America to not be surprised when:

Oregon: Vince Taylor
Wake: Saul Smith
Clemson: Tubby (to be close to family (Saul)

i would love to hear tubby's name linked to the wake forest and clemson job just so we know that he wont be going there

Top Bottom