Avery Bradley declares for the draft!

Why would it make the Gophs more attractive to CJ? If anything, wouldn't that mean he could get more playing time in Texas?

Edit: I'm an idiot. Forgot they played together.

well people thought texas was attractive because he was CJ's old teamate. so no avery, less comfort at texas

Not good news for the Gophers. Has he hired an agent?

edit: He hasn't signed with an agent... so he's got a month from today to withdraw and stay at Texas.

perhaps a wash?

Perhaps it is a wash.

His friend is gone so TX is less attractive but more PT might make it more attractive.

On the other hand he will have plenty of playing time here and with his brother!

I am not sure what to think.

Cory won't be worrying about PT anywhere he goes..hes pretty good. I think comfort with a program, coach, players, etc is the most important thing. If that logic is true..then this helps our chances. Who knows??

No Bradley = more playing time at Texas. I hardly consider that something to be excited about, whether they are former teammates or not. Thompson, his current teammate, will still be there next year. I still like the Gophers chances regardless of what happens there though.

he would've gotten playing time regardless, anywhere he goes he'll be a starter. just that avery bradley was one of the major reasons for him going to texas. now he has to choose between tristan, a guy he played with for 1 year, or his brother and possibly a close friend in mo walker. not to mention that any player in his right mind who choose tubby smith over some coach who assembles great recruits but can't do anything with them at texas

Cory is a PG, Bradley is a 2, so its no big deal. A bigger deal is that UT already has 2 PGs on the roster that are pretty good and a top notch PG committed for 2011

The problem is that both Texas (assuming Bradley leaves) and Nova would probably start Cory at SG, which wouldn't fully utilize his talents.

With Bradley there, Cory probably starts at PG, Bradley at SG.

Cory and Tristian are much closer friends than cory was with Bradley or Walker. The influence of Walker on Cory is being blown way out of proportion.

Cory and Tristian are much closer friends than cory was with Bradley or Walker. The influence of Walker on Cory is being blown way out of proportion.

I don't like hearing that information.

Johnny, What are your thoughts on all things Walker/Cory? Do you think either will sign here? Both? Is the staff confident?

Getting Walker certainly doesn't hurt the gophers chances with Cory and it would be pretty suprising if Walker isn't a Gopher by the end of the weekend, but I've been told that it is far from a done deal that Cory comes just because we get Walker. Walker has known the Joseph's a long time and no doubt is a close friend but Cory and Tristian spend everyday together the past two years and have become extremely close friends and that friendship is really what Texas is counting on to put them over the edge. Minnesota is confident that they are in his top 2 and have a good chance but only a few people know for sure where cory is leaning and they aren't talking. Devoe has said very little and Cory has been pretty quiet. I think it comes down to those two.

What's the scholarship situation at Texas? Does anyone know how many it has to offer, and what its needs are? I assume having Avery declare for the draft opens up another one. Could Texas possibly go after Maurice Walker, too?

Getting Walker certainly doesn't hurt the gophers chances with Cory and it would be pretty suprising if Walker isn't a Gopher by the end of the weekend, but I've been told that it is far from a done deal that Cory comes just because we get Walker. Walker has known the Joseph's a long time and no doubt is a close friend but Cory and Tristian spend everyday together the past two years and have become extremely close friends and that friendship is really what Texas is counting on to put them over the edge. Minnesota is confident that they are in his top 2 and have a good chance but only a few people know for sure where cory is leaning and they aren't talking. Devoe has said very little and Cory has been pretty quiet. I think it comes down to those two.

Yeah. Top 2 are those and 50-50 for each.

Joseph will start wherever he goes.

God, I hope so. Especially if that means he comes to Texas.

Playing time at PG at Texas SHOULD be ripe for picking. The last two seasons have been almost unbearable to watch as a Texas fan because of the lack of a true PG that can score.

Balbay is good defensively, but he just can't score. When other teams play defense they play 5 on 4 and let Balbay do whatever, because whatever Balbay does on the offensive end, it won't hurt them. And I believe Balbay suffered a ACL injury. Not good.

Varez Ward is good defensively, and is better than Balbay offensively, but he too was injured last year. Also not good.

Then you have J'Covan Brown. He's got talent, but it's pretty obvious that he's a primadonna with potential to meltdown in a bad way at any time. He's careless with the ball and commits turnovers, but he is a scorer. He's our biggest offensive threat at the position, but a headcase.

And Jai Lucas? Jai Lucas would not be at a big time Division I school if his last name weren't Lucas. He is a complete joke as a PG. He can't drive the lane. He doesn't score much. And I've seen more athletic 8th graders play basketball. He'd best be used as a backup SG that just spots up and shoots a few threes a game.

I'd really love to see Joseph come in and take over PG immediately. Maybe J'Covan Brown would be forced to play SG, which I think would cure a lot of his problems. He can shoot and score, but I don't think leading the team and distributing the ball are things he can do consistently.

If it's not Texas, I sincerely hope Joseph chooses the Gophers.

Any word on the latest of when he may decide?

I only watched Texas play against Michigan St. last year and I can't really remember... is Bradley a pg or sg? I remember seeing him listed on scout or something as sg but at his size you'd think he would play pg. Too lazy to look. Anyone know for sure?

I only watched Texas play against Michigan St. last year and I can't really remember... is Bradley a pg or sg? I remember seeing him listed on scout or something as sg but at his size you'd think he would play pg. Too lazy to look. Anyone know for sure?

I think early in the season he saw a little bit of time at PG, but turned the ball over a few times and Barnes kept him at SG for the rest of the season.

To answer your question in a simple manner, Bradley played SG last season.

Texas is dying for a legit PG. We've had some great ones recently with TJ Ford and DJ Augustine, but besides those two... it's been really sketchy at the position. And obviously, our best teams were ones with legit PGs, so I'm really hoping we can get Cory Joseph on campus because right now we don't have one.

God, I hope so. Especially if that means he comes to Texas.

Playing time at PG at Texas SHOULD be ripe for picking. The last two seasons have been almost unbearable to watch as a Texas fan because of the lack of a true PG that can score.

Balbay is good defensively, but he just can't score. When other teams play defense they play 5 on 4 and let Balbay do whatever, because whatever Balbay does on the offensive end, it won't hurt them. And I believe Balbay suffered a ACL injury. Not good.

Varez Ward is good defensively, and is better than Balbay offensively, but he too was injured last year. Also not good.

Then you have J'Covan Brown. He's got talent, but it's pretty obvious that he's a primadonna with potential to meltdown in a bad way at any time. He's careless with the ball and commits turnovers, but he is a scorer. He's our biggest offensive threat at the position, but a headcase.

And Jai Lucas? Jai Lucas would not be at a big time Division I school if his last name weren't Lucas. He is a complete joke as a PG. He can't drive the lane. He doesn't score much. And I've seen more athletic 8th graders play basketball. He'd best be used as a backup SG that just spots up and shoots a few threes a game.

I'd really love to see Joseph come in and take over PG immediately. Maybe J'Covan Brown would be forced to play SG, which I think would cure a lot of his problems. He can shoot and score, but I don't think leading the team and distributing the ball are things he can do consistently.

If it's not Texas, I sincerely hope Joseph chooses the Gophers.

Any word on the latest of when he may decide?

Lucas was relatively successful as a frosh at Florida. He may have erred transferring to Texas.

Lucas was relatively successful as a frosh at Florida. He may have erred transferring to Texas.

But even Florida saw the writing on the wall with him. They wanted to move him to SG. He can shoot, but he's just not a very good PG. He averaged 2.2 assists a game at Florida and started all of them I think. He had 81 assists and 58 turnovers (1.4:1 assist to TO ratio). With the move to SG and Boynton coming in, Lucas left to try to be a PG at Texas.

I'm just happy we didn't waste a scholarship on him this past season because his on the court production was abysmal. He average 10 minutes a game with an average of 2.7 points and 1.4 assists. But at least he improved his turnover ratio, even if it's still unacceptable (1.94:1).

He's just not a good PG any way you cut it. But with shooting over 40% from 3 point land, he'd be a better SG. Only thing about that move is that it'd mean he won't have much of an NBA future, but it's not like he has one at PG so why not?

It's not like Texas ruined this kid. You may approve of an atrocious assist to TO ratio for your team's PGs, but I sure don't. Hell, you put him at PG at any big time school and you'll continue to see mediocrity at best. He's just too small, too slow, too weak, and too stupid with the ball to be any good as a PG at this level.

"Joseph will start wherever he goes."

So does that mean your close, personal friend, your bestest buddy in the whole wide world, pinkie-swear pals for life, has promised Cory a starting position from Day 1?

But even Florida saw the writing on the wall with him. They wanted to move him to SG. He can shoot, but he's just not a very good PG. He averaged 2.2 assists a game at Florida and started all of them I think. He had 81 assists and 58 turnovers (1.4:1 assist to TO ratio). With the move to SG and Boynton coming in, Lucas left to try to be a PG at Texas.

I'm just happy we didn't waste a scholarship on him this past season because his on the court production was abysmal. He average 10 minutes a game with an average of 2.7 points and 1.4 assists. But at least he improved his turnover ratio, even if it's still unacceptable (1.94:1).

He's just not a good PG any way you cut it. But with shooting over 40% from 3 point land, he'd be a better SG. Only thing about that move is that it'd mean he won't have much of an NBA future, but it's not like he has one at PG so why not?

It's not like Texas ruined this kid. You may approve of an atrocious assist to TO ratio for your team's PGs, but I sure don't. Hell, you put him at PG at any big time school and you'll continue to see mediocrity at best. He's just too small, too slow, too weak, and too stupid with the ball to be any good as a PG at this level.

All things considered, Donovan is a better coach than Barnes. That's where Lucas erred.

All things considered, Donovan is a better coach than Barnes. That's where Lucas erred.

I suppose that's true since Donovan saw that Lucas would only be a somewhat serviceable SG and Barnes is giving him a shot at PG where he'll do no good. At least we didn't use a scholarship on him last season, and I hope we don't next season. I'm not sure how that'll all work out.

But I also think Lucas is at fault for not accepting the fact that he's not a PG and won't be a good one at this level or any level beyond it. Sometimes I think the only reason Barnes is giving him playing time at PG is to appease Lucas' Dad (AAU crap).

Thanks for the info. So if anything then, Bradley leaving hurt their recruitment of Cory if they're good friends and would've been playing alongside each other, not sharing the pg spot.

I think early in the season he saw a little bit of time at PG, but turned the ball over a few times and Barnes kept him at SG for the rest of the season.

To answer your question in a simple manner, Bradley played SG last season.

Texas is dying for a legit PG. We've had some great ones recently with TJ Ford and DJ Augustine, but besides those two... it's been really sketchy at the position. And obviously, our best teams were ones with legit PGs, so I'm really hoping we can get Cory Joseph on campus because right now we don't have one.

Top Bottom