Miami DA thought charges would be dropped against Trevor six months ago, but not now

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this tid-bit from Marcus:

Gophers junior forward Trevor Mbakwe's trial for an assault charge is expected to finally be set at a hearing Thursday in Miami.

What isn't expected is Mbakwe's case to be dropped, according to Miami Dade state attorney's office spokeswoman Terry Chavez.

"About six months ago, I would have said yes," Chavez said about Mbakwe being cleared before a trial. "But today, I'm going to say probably no. I can't go into detail. When the rumors were flying around, we were looking into certain things. It did not materialize. It's definitely (now) not more than a rumor."

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2010/04/mbakwe-case-is-not-likely-to-b.html

Go Gophers!!

Rouser

Anybody else confused by this sentence?

Yes.

I would expect a little more clarity from a "spokesperson".

"It's definitely (now) not more than a rumor."

What isn't a rumour?

My interpretation:

"When the rumors (of dropping the case) were flying around, we were looking into certain things. It did not materialize. (Dropping the case) is definitely (now) not more than a rumor."

tj

My interpretation:

"When the rumors (of dropping the case) were flying around, we were looking into certain things. It did not materialize. (Dropping the case) is definitely (now) not more than a rumor."

Your interpretation may be correct but it seems totally different than what Marcus concluded, doesn't it?

What isn't expected is Mbakwe's case to be dropped, according to Miami Dade state attorney's office spokeswoman Terry Chavez.

Confusion reigns. :confused:

Regardless, it doesn't appear that Trevor's case will be dropped. Scary stuff.

It's strange for them to adress rumors about dropping the charges at all. But I cannot really figure out what they're trying to say either. Maybe it was related to the woman being MIA for awhile?

Your interpretation may be correct but it seems totally different than what Marcus concluded, doesn't it?

Confusion reigns. :confused:

No, I think my interpretation and Marcus' are the same.

The DA is saying the rumor once was that the case would be dropped. That rumor is no longer true. The case will not be dropped.

tj

No, I think my interpretation and Marcus' are the same.

The DA is saying the rumor once was that the case would be dropped. That rumor is no longer true. The case will not be dropped.

:)

I have to STOP re-reading the original spokesperson statement!

I do see your point, I think. :)

Top Bottom