Any serious indication Cory would sign here?

GopherFish

Reaction score
All year long, most on this board felt our chances of getting Cory weren't too good. All of a sudden the Gophers are meeting with Maurice Walker, and some think this means Cory is coming here.

If the Gophers were Cory's top choice, I think he would have already announced. I think he's waiting to see where Knight and other top point guards sign, and to see who declares for the NBA, before deciding. The Gophers appear to be more of a backup plan if he doesn't think he'll get enough playing time with his favored teams.

As far as Walker, I don't think his visit means too much regarding Cory. Cory's a marquee guy who will sign where he thinks it will showcase his talent best. I am not even sure that Walker is best friends with Cory--I only see a Gopher fan claiming that. I see that both Avery Bradley and Tristan Thompson have been referred to as Cory's best friend and they both play at Texas. Using the best friend argument, wouldn't he prefer to play with two best friends rather than one best friend.

All year long, most on this board felt our chances of getting Cory weren't too good. All of a sudden the Gophers are meeting with Maurice Walker, and some think this means Cory is coming here.

If the Gophers were Cory's top choice, I think he would have already announced. I think he's waiting to see where Knight and other top point guards sign, and to see who declares for the NBA, before deciding. The Gophers appear to be more of a backup plan if he doesn't think he'll get enough playing time with his favored teams.

As far as Walker, I don't think his visit means too much regarding Cory. Cory's a marquee guy who will sign where he thinks it will showcase his talent best. I am not even sure that Walker is best friends with Cory--I only see a Gopher fan claiming that. I see that both Avery Bradley and Tristan Thompson have been referred to as Cory's best friend and they both play at Texas. Using the best friend argument, wouldn't he prefer to play with two best friends rather than one best friend.

Walker has said both Cory and Devoe are like family.

Thompson, Bradley and Powell are also supposedly very close to Cory and might also call him family.

In any event, Cory has "real" family here in Devoe, but Cory's going to do what's best for Cory. I hope he signs here, but realistically, I think our chances are no better than Texas, UConn or Nova but better than UNLV.

I really would not be surprised either way.

http://www.flagrantfouls.com/2010/04/radio-brewster-big-man-maurice-walker/

In this post (stolen from from MJ2345) Mo mentions he talked to both Cory and Devoe about his upcoming visit.

Bothers me that Cory has not accepted Gophers (would think he would accept early if they were his choice).

Cory has a future with the CIA - rarely seen such a secret kept so well. If he tells anyone, word will get out immediately. I wonder what Mo will have to say.

G.L. - any chance of an interview?

I gotta admit this kid sure can keep his lips tight. I dont think he has let anything slip about where he might be going.

I also dont get the arguement that "if he was coming here, he would have commited already". This doesnt make any sense to me. I think that he will commit when he is totally ready and has weighed all his options.

If I recall right Devoe waited until the last minute too.

In any event, Cory has "real" family here in Devoe, but Cory's going to do what's best for Cory. I hope he signs here, but realistically, I think our chances are no better than Texas, UConn or Nova but better than UNLV.

So are you asking for information, or are you just wanting to hear someone say their is no chance Cory Joseph will come to Minnesota?

At one point, during Devoe's freshman year, the Gophers were considered a longshot. Then at another point, they seemed to be gaining momentum. In the late fall/early Winter the word was that the Gophers were essentially one of four teams with a shot and nobody knew which way Cory was leaning. There was even a rumor that Cory was going to UCONN because he had an aunt in the area. As recently as a few weeks ago the word was that Texas was the frontrunner. That may or may not have changed, but some people feel good about the Mo Walker comments and there really is no reason not to.

There is no serious indication Cory Joseph will be a Gopher, but there is no serious indication he will be a Longhorn either. My guess is he ends up in one of those two places. The Gopher coaches were not 100% sure they had Devoe until they got his LOI (worried about Texas then too).

I don't think anyone will be able to assure you where Cory Joseph will play basketball next season until he's signed his LOI.

If I recall right Devoe waited until the last minute too.

No sir, I think he committed in Nov. Late in the early signing period, sure.. but, not last minute.

At any rate, there isn't a requirement to sign a national letter of intent.. which is what the 'signing periods' are related to. But, most sign an NLI.

That argument that CJ would've committed here already if he were coming makes no sense. You can say that about all of other schools.

That argument that CJ would've committed here already if he were coming makes no sense. You can say that about all of other schools.

No, you can't. Those other schools don't have his brother and we don't have a PG that might block him.

What do the other schools not having his brother have to do with when he decides to commit somewhere? I agree that he's waiting to see how the pg situations pan out at his top choices... that still has nothing to do with the argument that he would've committed here already if he were coming. What if his other choices all end up having pgs who would take away significant minutes from him, and he therefore decides to come here in the end?

No, you can't. Those other schools don't have his brother and we don't have a PG that might block him.

Well since you asked the question, where is the "serious indication" that he would sign with Texas, Nova, etc? Since you've discounted the Gopher's chances, where do you get the notion that he will automatically sign with the Texas, etc? If it's just a hunch...well, we all have those.

Yes, Minnesota is in his Top 2 or 3 schools.

Walker SAID (quoted) that he and Cory might like to attend the same school.

Sheesh.

Well..since Devoe seemed unhappy until the final 1/3 of the season and now feels like he has a new life at Minnesota..this may have something to do with the renewed optimisim to land Cory.
Guessing Devoe shares all with Cory..good and bad. Probably not the best info getting to Cory earlier this season and late in the year, Devoe was the man and I'm sure that excitement translated well to Cory. Not rocket science.

Some posters have commented on how good of a job Cory has done at being 'tight lipped'. Not too difficult to be 'tight lipped' if you truely haven't decided.

I don't know about Nova or Texas or the others but if you're a H.S. kid that is talented enough to come in and make an impact in college on day 1, Minnesota looks pretty good. You have quite a few big guys that are maturing and w/ Mo it gets better, talented shooting guards, up-coming 3 in Rodney. Seems there is a definite spot for a pt guard that can shoot and finish at the basket.

Top Bottom